Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Android smartphone - finally taking the plunge! Now what?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 6:53 am
iff
Original Poster

Now that mobile phone+data plans in France are finally becoming reasonable, I'm getting my first smartphone: Samsung Galaxy S2.

I'm not a super-techie; although I don't mind learning and tweaking a little, I probably won't be making any major modifications unless I really need to. I'll probably start out adding local transit apps and maps and going on from there as I discover what I need and want.

Some questions:
  • What do I need to know regarding security and public wi-fi?
  • What's the best way to avoid getting a virus or malware?
  • Can you recommend any good Android and/or specifically Galaxy S2 forums that might be helpful in learning to set up and use my new phone?

I had originally thought to get an iPhone but finally opted for the S2 in spite of its bigger size (I'm used to holding a Nokia 5310 so the S2 is going to feel huge in my hand!) because of the lower cost, weight, bigger screen and ability to use as an external drive on occasion. I'm pretty comfortable with that decision but will have a week to change my mind--are there any compelling reasons to reconsider and get an iPhone 4S instead?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
What do I need to know regarding security and public wi-fi?

It's the same as using a laptop. For public wifi, don't go checking your bank balances, etc. For my level of paranoia, I don't even check my Gmail/Hotmail account.

What's the best way to avoid getting a virus or malware?

Stick to apps found on Google Market. However, there might be something that slips through so there is free antivirus/tracker software on Market.

Can you recommend any good Android and/or specifically Galaxy S2 forums that might be helpful in learning to set up and use my new phone?

Just do a Google search.

One thing you may eventually look at is unlocking your bootloader and rooting your phone. Every manufacturer takes the stock Android ROM and customizes it to their phone. Often, they overlay the Android with software of their own and even disable certain functions.

By rooting your phone, you can remove the manufacturer overlay software and regain (virtually) 100% of the Android functions. It also allows you to underclock/overclock the phone (if you want) thereby making it as flexible as possible.

You can check out the Cyanogenmod forums to get an idea but there are other customs Android ROMs to choose from.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as a new droid owner, ive found droid forum helpful

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/

There is also a sticky at the top of this forum with must have droid apps.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, MM, McDonalds Million Burgers
Assuming non-hacked android apps. using your cell network to access
sensitive accounts and web sites (with your most secure passwords)
is better than wifi. Hard to intercept a cell phone session.

wifi can be hacked to "divert" your logins to capture your information
(poisoned DNS).

But most of the time, these are are rare compared to going
to hacked websites or responding to phishing emails or opening
a malware attachment.

enjoy your android. I've taken mine everywhere: France (Aix en Provence)
and Berlin - works beautifully.

Bob
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:02 pm
iff
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I've also been reading the older messages on the forums and Googling a bit. The phone should arrive on Wednesday.

I do have a VPN account for watching movies, etc. Would I be ok using that to access email over wifi or can the VPN logon be hacked as well?

I'm new to connectivity in public places so I apologize if my questions seem silly. I'll keep researching and learning as I go.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
If you ever have any ideas of flashing firmware just go ahead and do it now. Cyanogenmod is so much better than stock. I have a HTC Evo Shift and the stock firmware was pretty slow; Cyanogenmod made it very snappy.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iff
Can you recommend any good Android and/or specifically Galaxy S2 forums that might be helpful in learning to set up and use my new phone?
+1. Yeah, as a new owner of 2 Android devices, it would be great to have some forum recommendations.

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Just do a Google search.
Recommendations, not a list.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I recommend the forums at androidcentral.com
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:26 pm

Today I just downloaded: MyBackup Pro for the Android (I have DROID Pro: Verizon) - it backs up the Android phone.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Most people use Titanium for backups.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
http://www.xda-developers.com/

XDA might be a bit too nerdy for a new comer, but if you stick to general and accessories forums, you might get some helpful information.

[GS2 3G forums]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1055

[GS2 4G forums]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1065

Of course, after you get comfortable and adventurous enough, you could start drifting into the developers forums! (of course these forum require a certain amount of geekiness, so might not be your taste)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I wasn't going to recommend XDA as a starting point for that reason....
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't worry too much about wifi and VPN and such. Just use the same precautions you would use with your laptop.

The Gmail, Exchange mail, Facebook, and Twitter apps all communicate with their servers via SSL anyway.

Using the web browser to access bank account info is fine, too, because your bank certainly uses SSL. If they don't, get a new bank.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Don't worry too much about wifi and VPN and such. Just use the same precautions you would use with your laptop.

The Gmail, Exchange mail, Facebook, and Twitter apps all communicate with their servers via SSL anyway.

Using the web browser to access bank account info is fine, too, because your bank certainly uses SSL. If they don't, get a new bank.
I'd beg to disagree. The likelihood of encountering a rogue access point or man-in-the-middle on a wifi access point is much, much higher than 3G/4G. Using a VPN with certificates or PSK reduces that probability materially. There are plenty of websites that don't use SSL - some MITM attacks can be pretty sophisticated. And it's relatively easy on a WiFi link compared to 3G.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You can't always tell within apps. if SSL is being used. You would think of course than banking apps. would use such.

Haven't there been malware in the Android Market?

What are these good mobile data rates in France? Are these post-paid or have there been any good prepaid ones? France is uncompetitive compared to neighboring countries. Supposedly the Free announcement may stir up the market there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.