Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Using US Droid Bionic (Verizon) in Vietnam or???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(

I am going to Vietnam and would really like to use my phone instead of having to use my laptop with Skype when I want to make a call. I can use my phone in the CDMA mode but it's $2/min +data charges. Since it's not a GSM phone I can't just buy a local prepaid card either.

Are there any other options besides buying a cheap local phone. I really want my number so I can receive calls too.

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Get a new Verizon world phone that works with GSM.

2. You might be able to call Verizon and ask for a GSM SIM with your number, but you'll still pay $2ish/min and have to supply a GSM phone.

3. Get a SkypeIn number in the US. Forward your Verizon phone number to it, then once you're in Vietnam set Skype to forward to your local Vietnamese prepaid SIM and cheap phone number.

There's no way to roam internationally with "your phone number" and have it be cheap. This is why people pay for the convenience of roaming with one number.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Or, find somewhere with wifi and Skype through that. But, there's obvious limits.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
A simple, basic unlocked quad-band GSM phone is best for voice calls & SMS as you will find plenty of vendors selling prepaid SIM card, and, they are the easiest to "program" and activate on VN's mobile network - maybe you can borrow one from a family member, friend & colleague or pickup one on eBay or CL for under $50.

VZW will roam on their partner's (Vodaphone) CDMA network with your home number, but it's costly as you know & that's without data charges (whether it's BB, Android, WinMo or iOS - incidentally, unlocked iPhone 3 are still very much in demand & popular - their networks are a bit behind.) Communications are still highly regulated by their government, including registration requiring positive ID like passports & prescribed rates/fees & charges - probably the least user-friendly places in Southeast Asia.

Depending on where you are staying, the hotel's business center might be your source of help & tech. support for programming APN's and MMS settings, browser setups, etc. - as many of the useful info on local providers like Vinefone are in Vietnamese & translation is needed.

Even with a local prepaid Sim card & roaming options, rates for voice calls to the States are expensive (as much as using VZW roaming) - but local calls within VN using the p/p Sim were cheap on Vinefone during our trip last year.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Thanks everyone! Think we're going to stick with WiFi and Skype on the laptop since this a short trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.