FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   help - any ideas - can't access i-net but online? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1302195-help-any-ideas-cant-access-i-net-but-online.html)

SkiAdcock Jan 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/300.21.012; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

home this morning - all fine. Tried to get online on amtrak and got network connection error codes. @ united club. Can access tmobile. Launch browser and dead in water. Click diagnose problem. It says network connection is fine. Any ideas on problem? Am @ start od week long biz trip and need to be able to get online email etc. Any help appreciated.

gfunkdave Jan 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Very difficult to diagnose based on the info given.

• Do you have an IP address? (start->accessories->command prompt, then type ipconfig <enter>

If you don't have an IP, reboot your computer and reconnect to the network.
  • If you do have an IP, while still in the command prompt, type "ping google.com" and see if you get replies
  • If no replies, then there's something wrong with the network at the RCC
  • If you do get replies, your browser is misconfigured - is it set to work offline? Is it set to use a proxy?

antichef Jan 13, 2012 1:55 pm

First action before trying to change anything:
Turn it all off and then back on again.

Let everything reboot clean and see what happens. I leave all my stuff running when I am on the road and remote access back in to base from wherever. When I get home I always do updates and power cycle everything, so that I am there to check it if there are any problems.

SkiAdcock Jan 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/300.21.012; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

sorry to be brief on initial post. Posting on phone plus had to get to plane. Now on plane. Will try yoir ideas when land

LIH Prem Jan 13, 2012 2:47 pm

can you access the internet by other programs besides the browser, and is it just the browser giving you issues? (seems like it if the troubleshooter says its working that means it was able to access remote sites that it tested.)

try a different browser. If you are using firefox or IE, I think both have failsafe options, which you can also try. It could be an add-on or a proxy configuration gone bad.

-David

SkiAdcock Jan 13, 2012 7:12 pm

in la now. The laptop has been restarted a nimber of times. No joy. I think i ha d this prob last year and the itpconfig worked. Bit how do i get to the command prompt? I'm on vista. When i click on start there is no accessories to click on. Iv i type in accessories and click on link it tzkds me to ie can't cisplay web page. Is there something in the control panel i should be clicking on instead?

SkiAdcock Jan 13, 2012 7:41 pm

figired out how to get to cmd. Ipconfig comes up w bunch of #s. Pinging google saya dest host inreachable. Packets sent 4 re@ei ed 1. Isn't there something i can set to aito config look for ips? Vaguegly remember that. Might need to wait until get to frien's and use her compiter to give yoi what came up on the ipcomfig

star_world Jan 14, 2012 7:08 am

Have you just recently started typing on this iPhone? ;)

When you go to ipconfig there should be three sets of numbers under the Wireless Local Area Network connection. It says IP address next to it. What does that say?

SkiAdcock Jan 14, 2012 9:04 am

sorry for typos. I was in a hurry because friend was waiting @ curb @ lax and i wanted to get msg sent before leaving rcc. Plus long fingernails+nokia keyboard+hurry doesn't make for accuracy. Going to set up laptop next to friends computer later so i can type normally on ft on hers to report what it says on mine.

SkiAdcock Jan 14, 2012 10:45 am

Connected to my friend's wifi network w/ laptop & pulled up the browser - and it worked. I didn't do anything special.

What do we (i.e., you) think happened? Also, will try it at local cafe later to see if it works there.

I've accessed t-mobile before at RCC with no problem. Do we think this had something to do w/ the glitch/error codes that came up when I tried accessing on Amtrak? Of course I don't remember what they said when I was doing the repair, so you probably can't answer that.

Cheers.

antichef Jan 14, 2012 1:04 pm

Time to put the feet up, have a Gin&tonic and wonder about the mysteries of computers ;)

Glad all sorted. Sometimes I get glitches that seem to sort themselves out without intervention given a bit of time. I usually reckon that it might be somebody else's problem, and it is taking them a bit of time to TIOAOA:D

SkiAdcock Feb 9, 2012 8:10 am

Running into the same problem again...

Used computer at home office this morning. Shut it down completely (not just hibernate) before heading to airport.

I have a very, very long layover at ORD and need to do some work, and I'll have the same on return.

Connect to T-Mobile fine, but when I launch browser dead in water & get the error code I mention upthread. Try a few more times; same result.

I don't get it. I've been able to access T-Mobile/internet for years when at RCC. Why the problem now? What's changed?

I finally gave up & reactivated my Boingo account, and am online with no problem. But I don't want to have to pay for Boingo every time I'm in a RCC (er, United Club).

Any ideas?

Cheers.

u600213 Feb 9, 2012 10:43 am

Sometimes you can put 1.1.1.1 in the browser address bar to get t-mobile login page if it doesn't come up auto magically.

Otherwise call T-Mobile help at
1-877-822-7768
They will want you to clear browser cache and reboot but once you get past that, they will authorize you remotely.

SkiAdcock Feb 9, 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by u600213 (Post 17983100)
Sometimes you can put 1.1.1.1 in the browser address bar to get t-mobile login page if it doesn't come up auto magically.

Otherwise call T-Mobile help at
1-877-822-7768
They will want you to clear browser cache and reboot but once you get past that, they will authorize you remotely.

Thanks - good to know. Will try that next time.

Cheers.

mia Feb 9, 2012 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by u600213 (Post 17983100)
They will want you to clear browser cache and reboot ...

If it connects to other wireless networks, but not to T-Mobile, I would try using a different browser or clearing the cache plus the cookies for the browser you are using.