Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New tablet, Transformer Prime or something from CES?

New tablet, Transformer Prime or something from CES?

Old Jan 12, 12, 2:37 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Question New tablet, Transformer Prime or something from CES?

I bought my this past Black Friday, a refurbished Toshiba Thrive (very good price), and the unit was OK, liked how Honeycomb worked as an OS, and the full size ports were nice. But the unit was overheating, rebooting, freezing, so I had to send it back, now I want to get a new one.

I've been on the road, and really have not payed attention to much of what has been reviewed at CES.

Is the Transformer Prime the best Android tablet out there (please no iPad is superior, wait for the Windows 8, QNX/BBX will rule the world comments)?

Not sure what is coming out of the pipeline, but the Prime is $600, would like something that has a pretty screen 7" or 10", FFC and less expensive if possible.
Old Jan 12, 12, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Funnily enough I was thinking about getting a tablet but was at the other end of the spectrum to you in terms of price, and was looking at this NATPC M009S. But I am really at the early stage of tablet decision as I want to make sure that I can read books/PDFs on it.
Old Jan 12, 12, 3:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Funnily enough I was thinking about getting a tablet but was at the other end of the spectrum to you in terms of price, and was looking at this NATPC M009S. But I am really at the early stage of tablet decision as I want to make sure that I can read books/PDFs on it.
A reasonable alternative is a first-generation Nook Color refurbished unit then modified with something like Cyanogen Mod 7. This is not as difficult as it may sound. There are certain files that need to be loaded to a microSD card, but there are instructions all over the internet about this. A 16GB card should do the job and leave you able to download books, music, and video galore for a cost of about $16USD. The refurbished units, which look as good as new, go for about $149USD, but with the introduction of the new Nook Color and Nook Tablet, will probably drop soon to about $119USD.

This setup offers three great features. First, you don't need to do any internal modification to the Nook since everything occurs on the microSD card--in fact, remove the card, and the Nook Color boots up as the ereader Barnes & Noble intended. Second, the unit has decent hardware specs that can be enhanced through the unit's settings to allow good video playback. I have Netflix on my Nook Color, which I've owned for about two months, and I've had few pauses for buffering when viewing video on the device. Third, since you now have access to the Android Market with this modification, you can download both the Amazon and Nook apps to the device and read books from both vendors.

I understand that modding a device is not for everyone, but the modifications required here are not much more difficult than cooking from a recipe. And the refurbished unit really does look like new. Even after two months, the screen looks great and requires little more than some swipes with a microfiber cloth to make it look good again.

Search this Thread