Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Using Bluetooth GPS in cabin OK?

Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I found some threads that use of a GPS is OK in full flight.
But what about a Bluetooth GPS which os a (weak) radio signal?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are worried about safety there is no verified scientific evidence that any PED has ever interfered with aircraft electronics during the past 30 years. There is MASSIVE AMOUNTS of hearsay and conjecture, but nothing has ever been proven.

If you are concerned about following the rules, then you need to contact the specific airline you will be flying.

But whichever way you decide to go, you can be assured that dozens of other passengers will have their Personal Electronic Devices on, and in the broadcast mode, during all phases of flight.

Good luck, and this will be my only post here, as these threads get long and messy and nothing new is ever added to the debate.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Many airlines do not allow any device that transmits radio signals.

Unless of course it's to connect to their wireless so they can make money off you.

check with the airline you are flying, plan an alternative in case you are asked not to use it.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Some airlines allow GPS, some don't. There is a thread here somewhere that links to a list of who does and doesn't - or ask the FA.

Bluetooth will not be allowed after the door closes. If you are talking about a Garmin, Tom Tom, etc. road unit that has Bluetooth connectivity, you can turn that off through your settings menu. If you are talking about a GPS that tethers to a PC or other device via Bluetooth it would not be allowed (but is still not really a risk).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.