Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Do You Have A Verizon iPhone 4S? (SIM Card Question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

I have had conflicting answers to this question which has been discussed on this forum but not in the following specific way:

If you own a Verizon iPhone 4S does it have a slot for a SIM card that can be accessed without opening the phone?

(The issues raised previously on the forum had to do with whether or not the phone could be unlocked for non-USA carriers. Someone at Apple's Fifth Avenue, Manhattan store told me last week that there is no SIM card slot in the Verizon model but he did not seem to be very convincing in his speaking.)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
does it have a slot for a SIM card that can be accessed without opening the phone?
Yes, the slot is on the side of the phone. Stick the end of a paperclip into the small hole and the SIM tray will pop out. Verizon provides a Vodafone SIM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:45 pm

Verizon will even unlock the phone for customers in good standing, but the phone will only accept non-US sim cards. TMobile, ATT, Cinci Bell, etc. are blacklisted.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Verizon will even unlock the phone for customers in good standing, but the phone will only accept non-US sim cards. TMobile, ATT, Cinci Bell, etc. are blacklisted.
I asked Vz to unlock my new iPhone 4S. Slight trepidation being new to Vz but when I touched down overseas, after a minute or two, local sim card worked. As others have indicated, turned off roaming and cellular data.

Currently in Taiwan using local prepaid sim card. Was in Bangkok in late December using local postpaid account. Both worked smoothly.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
What happens in locales (such as Beijing) that have CDMA networks as well as GSM with a VZ 4S? Can you shut off the CDMA section to use a local SIM, or does it default to the CDMA side?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:33 pm

Taiwan has CDMA and that guy is using it. The CDMA roaming rates are cheaper in some countries than the GSM ones so greater control would be a plus. I am rather frustrated with Apple on this one, I would pay the $800 for an unlocked iPhone 4s if I could get free access to both GSM and CDMA. The unlocked 4s cannot be activated on CDMA.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:48 pm

I am rather frustrated with Apple on this one, I would pay the $800 for an unlocked iPhone 4s if I could get free access to both GSM and CDMA. The unlocked 4s cannot be activated on CDMA.
I believe it's a carrier [Verizon/Sprint] issue and not Apple's fault...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by akonradi
Yes, the slot is on the side of the phone. Stick the end of a paperclip into the small hole and the SIM tray will pop out. Verizon provides a Vodafone SIM.
Thanks! Is this the regular-sized SIM or the "micro SIM?"

So my Orange France one would work? (Can't see why not, but figured I'd ask.)

Originally Posted by dtsm
I believe it's a carrier [Verizon/Sprint] issue and not Apple's fault...
That seems like the only logical explanation since all of the units appear to be "dual system."
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Thanks! Is this the regular-sized SIM or the "micro SIM?"
micro sim size
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:12 am

On the CDMA, it is not a carrier issue. PagePlus would happily activate unlocked iPhones if Apple would allow it.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: None anymore
On the CDMA, it is not a carrier issue. PagePlus would happily activate unlocked iPhones if Apple would allow it.
Seems the CDMA issue is a 'programming' issue. Apple only programs for 3 CDMA carriers at the moment. I suspect IF someone came up with a 'jail brake' to program other CDMA carriers those unlocked CDMA iPhone would sale.
I know there was/is 1 CDMA carrier in the US that would allow 'bring your own device' but they have long since been swallowed up by Sprint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.