Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Buying An iPhone 4S: 16, 32 Or 64 GB?

Old Jan 10, 12, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

It seems that once you buy a new iPhone you are pretty much stuck with your storage capacity for the next two years since the memory is not expandable and if you want to buy a different one, you will pay full price.

I spoke with people at the Apple Store, at VZW and at Apple on the phone and I am still left with the impression that I am making a blind guess in selecting anything other than the 64.

What is your personal guide on how to choose which model to buy?
Old Jan 10, 12, 2:46 pm

Programs: (PM)AA UA DL SPG
Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
What is your personal guide on how to choose which model to buy? (Flash memory size of iPhone)
No real answer here because everyone's needs are different, but consider:

Ask yourselfl what are you currently using for a similar device? If it's another phone, 16G may be enough. If you have an ipod or other mp3 player with 50GB of music, and intend to move it over, 64G may be the way to go.

In 2 years, there may be a new iPhone, your battery may be getting weaker, and you may be looking to upgrade anyway, so this is around a two year purchase, not lifetime anymore.

Leaning towards the smaller one; the new factor may be cloud based storage. Apple has a product, as well dedicated products like Evernote or photo sharing sites. It may be that you aren't going to be storing information on your device, as much as you might have even a year or two back. (NB: with cloud storage, local backup is still critical. If your provider goes out of business, or has a security breach, you don't want to be out of luck.)
Old Jan 10, 12, 4:47 pm

I've got 32 gb iPad 2, 16 gb iPhone 4s.
Both loaded with gills of apps, photos, music. iPad has tons of movies, which I swapped via my MacBook and plenty of storage [1-2+ gb per unit] left.

Use some common sense and don't try to load EVERYTHING -- you can only access so much in a given day!
Old Jan 10, 12, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I am a HEAVY user of my iphone, probably 250+ pictures, locally stored music, some videos, about five local data GPS navigation programs, lots of test software, seven email accounts and about 200 apps.

I use about 50% of a 32GB version.

I don't do a lot of video downloads on the device, although at about 250-500MB for an SD version one could get quite a few on there.
Old Jan 10, 12, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
I have the 16GB. A bunch of music, 2k+ photos and no video - I still have a couple GB left.
Old Jan 10, 12, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
It seems that once you buy a new iPhone you are pretty much stuck with your storage capacity for the next two years since the memory is not expandable and if you want to buy a different one, you will pay full price.

I spoke with people at the Apple Store, at VZW and at Apple on the phone and I am still left with the impression that I am making a blind guess in selecting anything other than the 64.

What is your personal guide on how to choose which model to buy?
My first iPhone was a 3G/16. I ran out of space with my apps and music content. I could have fixed that by not storing so much music on my phone I suppose. As to whether you should choose 16/32 or 64 I guess it depends on how many apps you have as well as photos, music and videos. Videos take up a lot of space even if compressed with something like Handbrake. I guess you could limit yourself to what you put on your phone at a certain time and just limit what you have on the phone. Flash isn't all that expensive in the real world though you pay a premium for it when you're chosing the size of iPhone storage.
Old Jan 10, 12, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can never go wrong with more memory, but many people wish they had bought more when they bought their devices. I have never heard anyone say "Damnit, this thing has too much memory!!", but I have heard the opposite.
Old Jan 10, 12, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was fine with a 16GB iPhone for 3 years. I would never watch video on the thing, and having 350 of my favorite CD's to listen to on-the-go was more than enough.
Old Jan 10, 12, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a 32GB card in my Nexus One. I've got a few thousand songs on it and a bunch of apps and photos. I use about 19GB total.
Old Jan 10, 12, 8:48 pm

I think 16 GB would be too low. I have 32GB on my iPhone and have about 15 GB left. I have 1600+ songs, 700+ photos and over 150 apps. When I upgrade I will probably get the 64GB. It seems like apps keep getting bigger and bigger and of course I keep adding to my song and photo libraries.
Old Jan 10, 12, 9:52 pm

Programs: OnePass, SPG
When I upgraded to the 4S from the 3G I doubled my storage from 16GB to 32GB. I thought, "I'll never be able to fill all that space!" And each day I wrestle trying to get my media down below the full capacity mark.

Always go bigger than you think you need because it is inevitable that larger and larger applications and media will grace your phone.

In the long run, the $100 increase in price now will be totally worth it.
Old Jan 10, 12, 10:50 pm

The cost of the extra memory is a fraction of the cost of your monthly phone+data bill. $200 difference between the 16 and 64, right? Amortize that over 24 months, that's $8.33 / month. Now consider the voice and data and tax costs per month. I'll guess $83.30 / month, so 10%.

If you get a GPS app with standalone maps (Navigon is one) you'll need about 1GB for that, as I recall. I think the consensus of this tread is: at least get 32GB. And if you're thinking of watching stored movies on it, want thousands of tunes, photos, apps, etc. move up the 64GB.
Old Jan 11, 12, 7:37 am

go for 32 GB.. 16 is just not enough for movies/video podcasts/music/etc.. Even with iCloud..
And if you take your own pictures and videos, that adds up really quickly..
Old Jan 11, 12, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by boberonicus View Post
The cost of the extra memory is a fraction of the cost of your monthly phone+data bill. $200 difference between the 16 and 64, right? Amortize that over 24 months, that's $8.33 / month. Now consider the voice and data and tax costs per month. I'll guess $83.30 / month, so 10%.

If you get a GPS app with standalone maps (Navigon is one) you'll need about 1GB for that, as I recall. I think the consensus of this tread is: at least get 32GB. And if you're thinking of watching stored movies on it, want thousands of tunes, photos, apps, etc. move up the 64GB.
The GPS maps -- of Europe in particular for me, provided by Navigon, but also of various parts of Asia -- reconfirmed my decision to go for a 64GB device. While I could easily get away with a 32GB device, I wanted to have wide map availability when I would not have reliable internet access. More a function of "desire" than "need", but not a purchase I regret as I've used nearly 32GB while not having much of any music or video entertainment on my device.
Old Jan 11, 12, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Personally I've never approached 16GB on my phone (currently an Android, but previously had an iPhone), so that's the one I'd get. I don't watch any movies on my phone, though, and my entire music collection is only ~4 GB.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: