Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Better Macbook Air Power Solution???

Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Is anyone aware of a more compact power solution for a Macbook Air 13"?

If possible, Id like to ditch the big Apple power brick AND the Apple airline adapter for something a bit more compact. The Innergie adapters look awesome, quite compact and powerful, yet they dont have a magsafe adapter just like the other universal power adapter vendors....

Anyone got any creative ways to ditch the Macbook Air brick?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
The magsafe adapter is patented. There are no other legitimate alternatives at this time...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I don't consider the MBA power adapter to be large. I find it much easier to carry around in my laptop bag than my Thinkpad power adapter. I hate the premium you have to pay for proprietary Apple accessories though. I bought a second Magsafe power adapter and it cost me $60
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: Skywards
Does this sound convenient?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Does this sound convenient?
Does a vest sound more convenient than an Apple Macbook Air charger? Uh, no. Unless there is something you don't know, I'm not sure how that thing could charge a laptop.

Plus, that stuff looks like a total ripoff of ScotteVest products.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:24 am

I've used a custom adapter from http://mikegyver.com and it has worked out great. I use it with one of those kensington travel power supplies.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I don't consider the MBA power adapter to be large. I find it much easier to carry around in my laptop bag than my Thinkpad power adapter. I hate the premium you have to pay for proprietary Apple accessories though. I bought a second Magsafe power adapter and it cost me $60

you can buy generics for 25$ from ebay. they are clone and thus magsafe. i bought one and works perfectly
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by deniah
you can buy generics for 25$ from ebay. they are clone and thus magsafe. i bought one and works perfectly
I shied away from the generic ones after reading the reviews on Amazon
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
you can buy genuine apple adapters on ebay for about the same price. i paid $29, including shipping, a month or two ago.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:30 pm

Make sure you have the smaller MBA brick. I know lots of folks who are using the PowerBook adapter since they have extras laying around, the MBA can use the smaller one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.