Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How Hard is it to Cancel a Sirius/XM Contract?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Hard is it to Cancel a Sirius/XM Contract?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I use the 2-year phone contract to churn to a new phone every year -- extending the contract. It's easy to cancel a mobile phone contract -- you just pay the early termination, which you agreed to when you accepted the subsidized phone price. There's no surprises there.

The services that auto-renew and make it difficult to cancel -- THOSE annoy me.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
credit

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Apparently there's a significant portion of the population that agrees, given the increasing popularity of prepay.

Not having a gym membership, I will take your word for that...
Pre-pay has pretty much everything to do with ability to obtain credit, which has decreased dramatically lately and why consumers are moving to it. As well as the ability to get a much lower monthly payment for simpler services which is again where consumers are moving. Telcos love it, since it virtually eliminates any credit risk exposure and they can factor revenue streams if needed in the high 90's.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by nmenaker
The worst offenders, IMHO are gym memberships.
Don't get me started. It took the BBB to finally resolve my dispute with Bally's concerning my college student's gym membership.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:00 am

I have Sirus XM

I would never cancel my satellite radio subscription. At $77 its totally worth it and with the bank discounts (see below) considering how I do not like the commercials on the radio today.

I have the portable Sirus XM Tuner with recorder. The night before I leave on a flight I will record my favorite station and then listen to it on the plane via the recorder. For the price. I can get all the channels. Sometimes if I don't have the time to record the songs I use the WIFI and the web app. The lower plan seemed quite limiting to me considering I love listening to sport games.

I guess some people will never use this service. But let me tell you it takes the boredom of driving through the central valley with the high number of Spanish or religious stations or in areas with very little to choose from. Not to be mean or anything but I would much rather listen to World Music, Rock and Roll, Smooth Jazz etc.

My Father has a separate tuner and with the Bank Discount we can get the 2nd tuner full channels for $60 a month on a special promotion as we are long time customers of the Bank. The bank will lower my radio to $60 at the beginning of the year since it took time for my promo to switch over. The Bank pays the difference in price.

See if you can get a discount through other sources Google Sirus XM Discounts etc.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:21 am

At least you guys on the mainland have a choice of either going with SXM or not. You can't even get SXM here in Hawaii. There has been talk of putting up terrestrial repeaters, but I have given up hope as this talk has been going on for years.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hebsan
At least you guys on the mainland have a choice of either going with SXM or not. You can't even get SXM here in Hawaii. There has been talk of putting up terrestrial repeaters, but I have given up hope as this talk has been going on for years.
The condolence, of course, being that you live in Hawaii.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:00 am

Virtual credit card number is very useful

I used a virtual credit card number (set the limit and expiring after 1 month). I never gave them my correct phone number. When the subscription was almost over, I sent them an email and USPS letter stating I was not renewing the service and if the radio stayed active after my expiration date, I would consider that a free gift.

It stayed working for about 2 months while I got lots of emails asking for a new credit card number. Eventually the service was off. Now I'm getting offers to renew at the special discount again. I rarely used it so for me it's not worth it even at a discount.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love old threads. I also love SiriusXM. I mainly listen to the Flyers, Phillies, and Howard Stern. We're down to 2 cars now as I sold my convertible because...Wisconsin.

I also have an Internet radio in my home office -- there I can listen to any of the above AND also BBC Radio 1.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I love old threads. I also love SiriusXM. I mainly listen to the Flyers, Phillies, and Howard Stern. We're down to 2 cars now as I sold my convertible because...Wisconsin.

I also have an Internet radio in my home office -- there I can listen to any of the above AND also BBC Radio 1.
You can also listen on your iPhone/Smartphone which includes BBC Radio 1 and BBC World News.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
You can also listen on your iPhone/Smartphone which includes BBC Radio 1 and BBC World News.
And I do when I'm out. I can also listen on a computer. The Internet radio's pretty high quality and doesn't tie up my phone or computer speakers. I've had it for years now and it still works great.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I was on the fence, because right now, the car is only used on the weekends. So, even if I could get a cheapo deal to renew, because of this I won't.

If I used the car daily to commute I probably would keep it, since, so far, I enjoy it.
Hmmm... that may be worth it. But honestly, if I'm driving, I don't have time to play with the radio to see what's on there So I'm probably not using it enough to make a good judgement.

Still, their practices are what I object to, and I may do so with my $$$$. Ditto for OnStar.
Well, our expiration came and went. With it came numerous offers to renew for $25 for 6 months. We didn't take it.

In December they offered it for free for 2 weeks and we tried it again. We decided that even for $25 it wasn't worth it because, well, we still only use the car on weekends and we realized that for the stations we listen to, the keep on repeating the same music & artists over and over and over and over.

We aren't in the car enough to justify spending any money on it.

BUT - we did renew Onstar with the directions package. While expensive, I find myself really liking have a human at the end of the "line" to speak with to get directions, phone numbers, etc.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, our expiration came and went. With it came numerous offers to renew for $25 for 6 months. We didn't take it.

In December they offered it for free for 2 weeks and we tried it again. We decided that even for $25 it wasn't worth it because, well, we still only use the car on weekends and we realized that for the stations we listen to, the keep on repeating the same music & artists over and over and over and over.

We aren't in the car enough to justify spending any money on it.

BUT - we did renew Onstar with the directions package. While expensive, I find myself really liking have a human at the end of the "line" to speak with to get directions, phone numbers, etc.
And that's the one thing we did cancel from Hyundai's BlueLink service on each of our cars. Still have the other two packages, but I have yet to talk to anyone on that contraption 18 months later. They charge $100 for the guidance/navigation for a year for each car.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:10 am

Really? The only way to GET directions with Onstar is to press the button and speak to a person who then sends them to your car.

I've also called them to ask for phone numbers, and in one case, if I was driving in the right direction
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? The only way to GET directions with Onstar is to press the button and speak to a person who then sends them to your car.

I've also called them to ask for phone numbers, and in one case, if I was driving in the right direction
There are two other packages with Hyundai - one that allows for such things as remote starts. We like that one. The other allows for emergency assistance - haven't had the need.

Apparently I can also use the service to make maintenance appointments, but I just call the dealer myself.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:12 am

Hey, Onstar sends me a monthly email and if any service is required it lets me & the dealer know. A phone call from them for an appointment follows shortly thereafter.

There are only 2 plans - the emergency assistance, and the other that adds to it directions.

I have found the directions assistance incredibly convenient and invaluable the times I've needed it. When I'm in my other car I look for that button to press when I'm not sure where I'm going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.