In-Room Coffee Makers

Old Nov 26, 11, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flahusky View Post
Get a french press or Chemex.
As a tea drinker I can feel your pain.
I have a French press travel cup (it was the only thing I could find that would fit the cup holder in my former car), but it's plastic and doesn't make particularly good coffee, not nearly as good as the glass one that I use at home. Since I'm not a high budget traveler, I frequently stay at Comfort and Hampton Inns that have only Styrofoam cups, so I pack a cup as well, but when I'm packing enough clothes for a week in a carry-on bag, I have to be careful about the extraneous stuff. Used to be that when I was going to a trade show, I could count on swagging a real coffee cup from a booth but they're getting cheaper and cheaper these days.

For tea, if you have tea bags that you can stand, the immersion heater in a real cup is a good solution because you can get the water boiling with one of those.
Old Nov 26, 11, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by u600213 View Post
But what does work is to use one pod with 1/2 cup water and another pod with another 1/2 cup of water.
What I get from that is a cup of stronger, but still not very good tasting coffee.

Another thing is that most European hotels have single serve instant Nescafe and I have been known to hoard the extra's and add them to the brewed in room coffee here in the US for extra strength.
That's a good thought. I had some Starbucks Via from when they were giving away samples at the introduction. It actually was pretty decent, but one packet is sized for a 6 oz cup, so I'd end up using two, and it's pretty expensive at that rate. Still cheaper than going out and I don't have to get dressed first, but the point of my whine here is that I used to have a perfectly satisfactory procedure that's been derailed by the hotels.
Old Nov 26, 11, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackjack-21 View Post
On the two cup brewers, we only brew a single cup at a time, otherwise when trying to brew both cups from the two bags (one in each slot) we always seem to wind up with half a cup (or less) each, no matter how full we fill the water reservoir. So we brew one cup at a time, filling the water tank almost to the line for two cups. Still not a great brew, but passable
That sounds like a type of coffee maker that I haven't encountered yet. Beyond the $15 Mr. Coffee style and variants, I've not seen one with provisions for two packets of coffee.

.....although..... we found what seemed to be messing up the taste of a decent cup of coffee in many of the hotels (not just the Hilton properties)! Those little plastic cups of "coffee creamers" in all the hotels really ruined a decent cup of coffee for us.
Yuck! I never use that stuff! It tastes and feels so oily. But what I've found, particularly at places with free breakfast, is that if you dig around in the bowl of soy creamers, you can find some real half-and-half in the same kind of containers that's sealed and processed in a way that it doesn't require refrigeration. I'll take a few of those up to the room to use for coffee during the rest of my stay. Or if I'm going to be there for a week and there's a refrigerator in the room, I'll just go to a grocery store and buy a small container of half-and-half. But if the coffee is really good (which I can do with the right kind of filter pot) I can enjoy it black.

Of course this may not work for those who are arriving directly from a flight for a quick overnighter before flying out again
Our mileages all vary. I rarely do quick overnighters and when I do, it's always because I've been working and staying some distance from the airport and I'm taking an early flight out and move to a hotel close to the airport. In that case, I usually don't have time for a cup of coffee in the room, but will have one at the airport.

Last edited by Mike Rivers; Nov 26, 11 at 6:39 am
Old Nov 26, 11, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Upstate View Post
Aeropress is another popular option for travel.
I've read about that one, but I've never seen one in the flesh. There are a lot of parts to it, and in addition, I'd still need hot water. The couple of times that I've used my travel French press and used the fiendish one-cup coffee maker to heat the water, it wasn't hot enough.
Old Nov 26, 11, 7:09 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Most brewing method work well FWIW.

The biggest issue is getting the H2O to 200F.
Old Nov 26, 11, 9:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
If one wanted to use a portable immersion water heater - just make sure its a newer one with built-in safety for low water & high temperature cutoff, and plug into (when possible) a GFCI-outlet. Cruises ships, however, absolutely ban these as fire hazards and I've heard stories of room stewards removing them from the cabins if they see them with a note.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Nov 28, 11 at 8:30 am
Old Nov 26, 11, 11:43 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
I'm a tea drinker and have found these little units very useful for brewing tea when I'm in a hotel. I pop a bag in the basket, fill the reservoir with water, and turn the unit on as I get in the shower. When I get out of the shower, I have a well-brewed cup of tea, still hot enough to dissolve a little bit of sugar, and cooled down enough that I can start drinking it almost immediately. I also don't have to worry about the tea bag steeping too long and making the tea too bitter.

Not being a coffee drinker, I wasn't sure whether they worked too well for coffee (and this thread suggests they don't), but I liked the convenience so much that I bought one for my office and one for my house.
Old Nov 26, 11, 7:17 pm

Hot water for tea from a coffee maker tastes and smells like coffee. I rinse out the pot, then clean out that smell by brewing a cup of hot water mixed with a packet of lemon juice through the coffee maker. The lemon juice packets I pick up from fast food places. You can get hotter water for either coffee or tea if you start with hot water from the tap.
Old Nov 26, 11, 9:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
Hot water for tea from a coffee maker tastes and smells like coffee. I rinse out the pot, then clean out that smell by brewing a cup of hot water mixed with a packet of lemon juice through the coffee maker. The lemon juice packets I pick up from fast food places. You can get hotter water for either coffee or tea if you start with hot water from the tap.
I thought this might be a problem when I started using the single-serve coffee makers in hotel rooms, but I haven't noticed any remnants of coffee taste. When I order iced tea from Starbucks, I occasionally run across that problem so I feel I would notice if it was happening with the single-serve units.

Of course, that's not a problem at all with my home and office units as they are never used for brewing coffee.
Old Nov 27, 11, 3:12 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers View Post
That sounds like a type of coffee maker that I haven't encountered yet. Beyond the $15 Mr. Coffee style and variants, I've not seen one with provisions for two packets of coffee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bj-21.
It's a two-cup Cuisinart brewer. First encountered at the Hilton Suites in Boca Raton, more recently at the Hilton Niagara Falls, which we visit often. At each property we couldn't brew two full cups of coffee simultaneously no matter how full we filled the water tank, so we just flip the switch to one cup, and fill the tank almost for two, which then gets us one full cup at a time. Can't start the Cuisinart using hot water as there must be some kind of sensor that has to cool down after each use. So using that one, we always have to use cold water for all brews.

Re: comments on here about the cleanliness of the hotel coffeemakers. Before I brew any coffee in them, I start by running just water through the system at least twice, sometimes three times. That includes the ceramic mugs, but some properties use the paper cups which means they don't have to be cleaned too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuck! I never use that stuff! It tastes and feels so oily. But what I've found, particularly at places with free breakfast, is that if you dig around in the bowl of soy creamers, you can find some real half-and-half in the same kind of containers that's sealed and processed in a way that it doesn't require refrigeration. I'll take a few of those up to the room to use for coffee during the rest of my stay. Or if I'm going to be there for a week and there's a refrigerator in the room, I'll just go to a grocery store and buy a small container of half-and-half. But if the coffee is really good (which I can do with the right kind of filter pot) I can enjoy it black.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bj-21.
At breakfast in the hotel's restaurant if we haven't brought enough of our own milk or cream for later days, my wife asks for a small styrofoam cup of milk or cream to take back to the room, and that usually lasts for most of the day and evening when we return to the room. Helps if there's a small fridge in the room to keep it cold.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our mileages all vary. I rarely do quick overnighters and when I do, it's always because I've been working and staying some distance from the airport and I'm taking an early flight out and move to a hotel close to the airport. In that case, I usually don't have time for a cup of coffee in the room, but will have one at the airport.
Old Nov 27, 11, 5:45 am

Maybe cart a good thermos around and fill it with trusted coffee the night before?
Old Nov 27, 11, 3:42 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
I've read about that one, but I've never seen one in the flesh.
Ahh a coffee thread. In TT

I second the Aeropress recommendation. It's reasonably portable, and all you need is a kettle for hot water.

If you're really serious, add a small hand grinder to your kit, and add 2 minutes of valuable "in room" exercise to your morning.

The coffee from the Aeropress, when made with freshly ground freshly roasted beans, will come close to rivalling a shot from a good manual machine.
Old Nov 27, 11, 5:17 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I found this:

http://www.voltagevalet.com/prod_dvapp/QC2.html

Anyone with experience?
I like it due to due voltage and there are places that I stay at that doesn't even have a in-room coffee maker.
Old Nov 28, 11, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackjack-21 View Post
It's a two-cup Cuisinart brewer. First encountered at the Hilton Suites in Boca Raton
This must be the Hilton 2-cup brewer that you're talking about.

I haven't encountered one of those yet, but I found some discussion about it on a (of course there's one) "Single-serve coffee brewers" forum. While Cuisinart makes this model exclusively for Hilton, they have a consumer model, though oddly it's not on the Cuisinart web site. It comes in a single and double (like the Hilton version) model and uses the same "loose" pod that the Hilton machine uses. The people in that forum seem to love it, except for one.

Amazon is good about taking returns, so I suppose I could buy an Aeropress from them, try it at home, and if it's too much bother I could send it back. But I'd prefer seeing things before I buy them. I'm not concerned about complexity in setup and operation, I'm more concerned with cleanup. I have a certain streak of sympathy for hotel housekeeping staff and I cringe a bit when when there's no liner in the trash can and I have to dump the grounds directly into the can. And I've been in enough hotel rooms with slow-running sinks that I don't want to wash the grounds down the drain.
Old Nov 28, 11, 7:36 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
I've read about that one, but I've never seen one in the flesh. There are a lot of parts to it, and in addition, I'd still need hot water. The couple of times that I've used my travel French press and used the fiendish one-cup coffee maker to heat the water, it wasn't hot enough.
The Aeropress actually has fewer pieces than a french press. They give you a stirrer, a scoop, and some kind of thing that is suppoed to be for a grinder I think, but there are only three parts that you need: The container, the plunger, and the filter holder. You do need a filter as well of course. My Bodum french press on the other hand requires 8 pieces; maybe 7 if you can manage without a handle. Another cool thing about the Aeropress is if you get an aftermarket metal screen and do an inverted brew with coarse grinds it will come out pretty much like a french press.

[QUOTE=Mike Rivers]
Amazon is good about taking returns, so I suppose I could buy an Aeropress from them, try it at home, and if it's too much bother I could send it back. But I'd prefer seeing things before I buy them. I'm not concerned about complexity in setup and operation, I'm more concerned with cleanup. I have a certain streak of sympathy for hotel housekeeping staff and I cringe a bit when when there's no liner in the trash can and I have to dump the grounds directly into the can. And I've been in enough hotel rooms with slow-running sinks that I don't want to wash the grounds down the drain. [\QUOTE]
The Aeropress is actually the easiest thing I have found for cleanup. The grinds come out as a puck like an espresso machine. You just hold it over the trash can and push it out. Then a quick rinse and you are done.

Last edited by Upstate; Nov 28, 11 at 11:13 am

Search this Thread