Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best Noise Cancelling Headphones?

Old Nov 16, 11, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I recently had my Bose NC headphones (older model) swiped out of my FC seat while using the head. Nice, huh?

So I am about to buy a replacement before long haul on Monday. Was reading through some online reviews, and thought all of you "experts" could lend a lot of insight.

Please chime in on your favorites, and why. (any links to good deals would be great too)
Old Nov 17, 11, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maureenb93 View Post
I recently had my Bose NC headphones (older model) swiped out of my FC seat while using the head. Nice, huh?

So I am about to buy a replacement before long haul on Monday. Was reading through some online reviews, and thought all of you "experts" could lend a lot of insight.

Please chime in on your favorites, and why. (any links to good deals would be great too)
Hi Maureen - this is better asked and answered in Travel Technology.
Old Nov 17, 11, 10:41 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Lifetime United Club stolen by Oscar “The Grouch” Munoz on 11.1.19
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Hi Maureen - this is better asked and answered in Travel Technology.
I totally agree. Still---I'm in love with my JVC HA-NC250 headphones. They are smaller and with better build quality than my old Bose QC-1s.
Old Nov 17, 11, 12:37 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Here's a couple of links from the Travel Technology forum (and I've asked the moderators to move this thread over to that forum to give you some better exposure )

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...best-ones.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...eadphones.html
Old Nov 17, 11, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Here's a couple of links from the Travel Technology forum (and I've asked the moderators to move this thread over to that forum to give you some better exposure )

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...best-ones.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...eadphones.html
Thanks goalie and aacharya and sorry for the rookie mistake. I've lurked here for a couple of years, but am a relative newbie to posting here (about a year). I have never really explored any of FT at all except the CO forum, and recently, the UA one as well. Didn't even realize the Travel Tech forum existed due to ignorance and schedule overload.

I learn a lot on these 2 boards, and should branch out...Thanks again.
Old Nov 17, 11, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Just browsed through the Travel Tech forum, and it was filled with great topics. Really appreciate the tip. I will def be branching out from the CO forum.

BTW, bought the Bose online. Will arrive tomorrow morning, just in time for my first trip to Brazil on Monday.

Happy TG everyone!
Old Nov 17, 11, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I would not board a plane without my Bose headphones

I proudly own Bose QC2's. One of the best purchases I have ever made. Put them on and they totally shut down chatty seat mates and crying babies. When first I bought them 12 years the girl I was dating at the time commented Why don't you just use ear plugs and no - I did not marry her...

When they literally fell apart in my hands due to nothing more than 10 years of continual air travel use I called Bose and asked them "what are my options?" They offered me a brand new pair of QC2's for $50, or QC3's for $75. Well... I like the over the ear style, and while the QC3 technology was supposed to be better I went for the QC2's again. I will live with carrying the larger size for the function and the many flight memories with my QC2's.

SunLover
Old Nov 17, 11, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat; UA 1MM (former 1K)
Bose jacks inaccessible at store

At a Bose store, you can't plug a pair of Bose headphones into your audio source, to A/B with a pair of headphones you've brought in. The headphone jack is inaccessible, buried behind the display. This is entirely deliberate.

There's an obvious conclusion one can draw here. Nevertheless, I brought my Audio-Technica phones over to a nearby Apple Store, where the same Bose headphones were for sale, along with iPods on display loaded with music. This confirmed my suspicion, if Bose could win a head-to-head with phones a third their price and independently chosen music, they'd allow it in the Bose store. They don't. Anyone can premix music to compensate for the limitations of a particular set of headphones; this is what they've done.

If you can dismiss this concern, you have the necessary powers of denial to enjoy Bose phones.

To be fair, they have hands down the best noise suppression, and a "you can't tell what you're missing" sanitized pleasant sound.
Old Nov 17, 11, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle

I am BOSE guy so that is what I would recommend. Smaller the ear buds, the better.

But my question is - how did your headphones get swiped on the plane - FC or not? Did you forget to take it or was it just gone? When did you find out and it you report to FA or GA?
Old Nov 18, 11, 10:09 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thanks goalie and aacharya and sorry for the rookie mistake. I've lurked here for a couple of years, but am a relative newbie to posting here (about a year). I have never really explored any of FT at all except the CO forum, and recently, the UA one as well. Didn't even realize the Travel Tech forum existed due to ignorance and schedule overload.

I learn a lot on these 2 boards, and should branch out...Thanks again.
It's my pleasure and welcome to the world of "your life will be completely consumed by Flyertalk"
Old Nov 18, 11, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TXbizman View Post
But my question is - how did your headphones get swiped on the plane - FC or not? Did you forget to take it or was it just gone? When did you find out and it you report to FA or GA?
It was on a flight form SFO to IAH last month. I was in 3A. 3B went out empty. I laid my headphones on the seat (3B) along with my book and went to the bathroom toward the end of the flight. When I came back, I didn't notice for about ten min, because I picked my excellent book right back up.

As soon as I realized, I looked around me. Everyone was "minding his/her own business" so I did ask FA. She looked around, looked at me uncomfortably, shrugged, and asked what I wanted her to do. It is not like they had my name on them, and she didn't seem inclined to begin an awkward inquisition. I saw the futility in it myself. If someone had the nerve to take them, they weren't about to volunteer them just because the nice FA asked... I just chalked it up as "stupid tax"

I always take my purse to head, but usually leave other small items. I had never had anything taken before, so lesson learned for me. Won't make a bonehead move like that ever again.
Old Nov 18, 11, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
It was on a flight form SFO to IAH last month. I was in 3A. 3B went out empty. I laid my headphones on the seat (3B) along with my book and went to the bathroom toward the end of the flight. When I came back, I didn't notice for about ten min, because I picked my excellent book right back up.

As soon as I realized, I looked around me. Everyone was "minding his/her own business" so I did ask FA. She looked around, looked at me uncomfortably, shrugged, and asked what I wanted her to do. It is not like they had my name on them, and she didn't seem inclined to begin an awkward inquisition. I saw the futility in it myself. If someone had the nerve to take them, they weren't about to volunteer them just because the nice FA asked... I just chalked it up as "stupid tax"

I always take my purse to head, but usually leave other small items. I had never had anything taken before, so lesson learned for me. Won't make a bonehead move like that ever again.
What an amazing story! I leave my headphones like this all the time - guess I have been lucky no one has swiped them so far...
Old Nov 19, 11, 12:19 am

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Well, I guess the mods aren't going to merge this thread with all the others, so I'll chime in ...

I find noise isolating earbuds are more comfortable and as or more effective than noise canceling "cans". They are much easier for me to sleep with them on, too.

I use Etymotic HF3 with custom sleeves. The only "complaint" I have is that they are too effective - I can't hear the FA ask for my drink order! (the PA announcements are loud enough to hear though). This let's me keep the music at a much lower level too.
Old Nov 19, 11, 7:48 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
I love my Audio-Technica ANC7b cans, I preferred them over the Bose since I found the noised cancellation better and they were better priced.

Looking forward to my next flight now I've spliced an iPhone/iPad volume/mic control into the input lead. Biggest gripe with all the headsets (Bose, A-T, etc is lack of full iOS control except in a few earplugs)
Old Nov 20, 11, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Disclaimer: I used to be an audiophile and hated the mainstream appeal of Bose, applying the advertising slogan of Better Sound through Advertising.

However, I had a pair of Audio Technica headphones, and while the noise cancellation was decent, it was not spectacular. It also broke a month after use, and since I bought them in Hong Kong, I could not get warranty repair in the US.

I have also tried various Sony noise cancelling headphones.

And then I tried the Bose QC15. The noise cancellation is far and away the best of anything I have tried. There is simply no contest. Were they two times the price of the Audio Technica, and 50% more expensive than the Sony cans? Yes. Were they three times better? Yes.

I honestly don't care about the audio quality that much, as I primarily bought it for the noise cancellation. It's not that I'm unimpressed with the audio quality, but just that I'm no judge in this department. I just want silence on my flights.

As an additional tip, if you put earplugs on while wearing the QC15, the cabin is virtually completely silent.

Search this Thread