Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

ATT doing away with unlimited data for Iphone upgrade?

Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: OMNI Platinum

Was looking at the upgrade (don't plan on getting it) and when you go to checkout there is a message saying

Your new device requires a different Data Add-on Plan than you currently have. We selected a compatible Data Add-on Plan for you. If you want a different plan, you can change the Data Add-on Plan by selecting Change here or from within myAT&T after you receive and activate your new device
The current plan is unlimited data for $30. The selected plan they have chosen is
Data Plan for iPhone for $30 and when you look up that plan its

DataPlus Enterprise 200MB for iPhone 4S $30.00

DataPlus Enterprise 200MB on 4G for iPhone 4S includes 200MB. Once 200MB is exceeded, an additional 200MB is automatically provided at a rate of $15 for each additional 200MB. Unused data does not carry over. Access to corporate email, company intranet sites and other business applications.
Is this what everyone is seeing?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
This change happened over a year ago with any iPhone upgrade.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
This change happened over a year ago with any iPhone upgrade.
Really? Did not know this.. Is this only for Iphone or any smartphones?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Also if you were to buy an unlocked iphone from Apple, can you keep the same data plan or will you have to change plans to activate it?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
I didn't see that this morning when I preordered my iPhone 4 S⃣ :

This was from Apple's online store, and I'm on a family plan with the unlimited data add-on grandfathered in from the original day one iPhone.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by ewrfox
Also if you were to buy an unlocked iphone from Apple, can you keep the same data plan or will you have to change plans to activate it?
If you buy an unlocked phone, you can just drop in whatever SIM you want without telling your carrier. Even with a locked phone (like my iPhone 3GS and LG Quantum (WP7.5)), once you have the phone and it's activated, just put in a SIM and start making calls/guzzling data like it's going out of fashion.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BonzoESC
I didn't see that this morning when I preordered my iPhone 4 S⃣ :

This was from Apple's online store, and I'm on a family plan with the unlimited data add-on grandfathered in from the original day one iPhone.
Is that Verizon?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:39 am

Is that Verizon?
AT&T; I've been grandfathered into the unlimited data (as a family plan add-on) I've had since the iPhone came out in 2007.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:59 am

I upgraded to an iPhone 4 in June and got to keep my unlimited international data. I smelled something in the air when Verizon was bumping people off contract and decided to renew until 2013 to keep this plan.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: nobody
Really? Did not know this.. Is this only for Iphone or any smartphones?
It looks like iPhone only, when I switch my old WM6 phone to an Android 2 months ago, I was able to keep my unlimited data. I just did a dummy order and I too got force to 2GB plan.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
It looks like iPhone only, when I switch my old WM6 phone to an Android 2 months ago, I was able to keep my unlimited data. I just did a dummy order and I too got force to 2GB plan.
I am a licensed lawyer and sometimes feel like I spend more energy fighting to keep good cell phone deals than I do with opposing counsel who I am litigating cases against.

If anyone saved (or can find on the web) ATT's assurances that we could upgrade, I think we should collectively pool our research. I think we have a fight on our hands.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:50 pm

at&t Mobility's stated policy is that if you had unlimited DATA prior to their switch to capped DATA plans than you would be Grandfathered.

I believe that one has to either call or go into a store (and hope and pray that the agent you get is not a total idiot) to ensure that the unlimited DATA SOC (at&t Mobility speak for code) is preserved on your account.

At least that is how it has worked for me,
Dan

PS. According to CNET there was some confusion about Grandfathered DATA Plans the iPHONE 4S CLICK THE LINK TO READ THE STORY!

Last edited by dan1431; Oct 7, 2011 at 5:56 pm
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by BonzoESC
If you buy an unlocked phone, you can just drop in whatever SIM you want without telling your carrier. Even with a locked phone (like my iPhone 3GS and LG Quantum (WP7.5)), once you have the phone and it's activated, just put in a SIM and start making calls/guzzling data like it's going out of fashion.
Wrong. Locked phones are exactly that: locked to one carrier. You cannot, for instance, put a T-Mobile SIM in a locked AT&T device and expect it to work.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:25 pm

I am grandfathered on iPhone International Unlimited Data. Over at the ATT forums, there is a post about a guy who spent hours with appears to be a competent tech support person trying to keep it for him. She appeared unsuccessful.

Conversely, today, they marked my account up to say I could keep it if I buy an unlocked 4s at the Apple store. This would be an early upgrade for me and it wouldn't be subsidized.

That said, I have a hard time believing that they will let me keep this feature and upgrade to LTE when it comes down the pike. (In fact, I'm beginning to see signs that ATT will try to pretend that this is a 4g phone which may put me in line for an early fight. Such a claim would border on the absurd given what was said by Apple). Apparently, ATT issued phones will say "4G" when the phone is on HSPA+ networks.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Wrong. Locked phones are exactly that: locked to one carrier. You cannot, for instance, put a T-Mobile SIM in a locked AT&T device and expect it to work.
I should have clarified that these are phones locked to the same carrier; I can move my AT&T SIM between the iPhone it was activated in, an unlocked Android, and an AT&T locked WP7 that I didn't activate all day long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.