Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Move from Blackberry to iPhone 4S or Android?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I have been contemplating a move from Blackberry Tour to either the new iPhone 4S or an Android phone and I thought I would run it by this forum to see if I could possibly get some feedback. I have checked many forums, and it seems that the only things posted are from fans on either side putting the other side down for copying technologies, form factors, etc., and not really making a case for their preferred phone. I really don't care who copied, or created, I just need it to work.

I am a business owner that travels quite often. My company uses both Macs and PCs. Among staff members, by a large margin the Mac is preferred. Even the initial self proclaimed Mac haters. I have an iPad and a Macbook Pro that I also travel with on occasion. I am not an Apple fanboi by any means, I just prefer to travel with the Apple products.

We also have a number of staff members and clients with iPhones, Droids, Blackberries, Samsung, etc. From what I have gathered, people really like their Androids early on, then it kind of dies off and they start complaining about apps not totally shutting down, battery life, or apps that work on one Android phone but not on their new Android phone. They also said that data or complete OS backup and syncing was not seamless or more tedious on the Android.

I was originally leaning towards an Android phone because of their impressive specs and LTE, although they seem to be getting larger and I don’t really want to carry a larger phone around. But, if I focus on reliability and functionality vs. raw specs, the Apple seems to win.

Am I missing something? There are a lot of Android users/fans out there and the new offerings are VERY impressive, spec wise. But, I am more focused on reliability, ease of use, security, and the seamless synchronization with our office workstations. It doesn’t have to have a large screen and doesn’t have to be customizable. It just has to work and be secure.

My contract is up and while I LOVE my Blackberry keyboard and e-mail; the new Bold with the non-focusing camera fell far short of the mark. I do use the camera regularly and I really like the idea of taking pictures on the iPhone, or making an appointment and having it automatically sync with the iMac workstation back at the office. I also like the integration of voice recognition software to make calendar appointments and reminders, as well as basic phone operations without having to use an app. Are any of these things possible on any of the Android phones, or would I need 3rd party apps to do it?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Would love to hear viewpoints on this as well...I am in a similar boat. 8 years of blackberry and I feel it is time for a change, although i will miss the keyboard and email, I am willing to foregoing that for a better all around experience and apps...I know absolutely nothing about the Android (I am still just getting used to the fact there is a luxury called called a Lexus; they never had that when I was a kid...)
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I switched from a Blackberry to a Motorola Android phone this year. My take is that the Blackberry is doggedly, reliably good at a few crucial things, while the Android is kind of, sort of good at a lot of things, crucial and not.

Android battery life is ridiculous. If you are used to getting two or three days out of your Blackberry you will come to hate the constant hunt for charging opportunities that is Android life. One business day is about all you can expect with moderate use; with heavy use, just a few hours before it conks out.

The Android is much less good at email. Can't get Gmail to push automatically to the phone although it's supposed to (known bug). POP3 sync was difficult for me; my salesman, after he sold me the phone, conceded that for some people it never works. Bear in mind that Android is not conceived as a business productivity platform at all but an entertainment OS that tolerates business applications. Salesman also muttered that my phone "isn't really designed for people over 30 or 35," so that was nice to hear.

Android in general seems more crashy and half-baked than the BBerry OS; my phone freezes for long periods, goes to black for no reason, reboots without warning, does weird things for awhile like claim nonexistent messages have arrived, then behaves normally again. It's like the earliest versions of Windows, built for a compu-geek subculture with high crash tolerance. I'm sure it'll be more stable in five years. But right now it seems way short of bulletproof.

On the plus side, Android app selection crushes BBerry, voice call quality is better, GUI is better, experience is less rigid and more customizable, and mine has a slide-out hard keyboard that beats BBerry.

As for the iPhone, I've never owned one, but I know a couple of people who gave theirs up after the oh-look-at-me factor wore off and went back to Blackberry.

I don't know if I'd make the switch over again. I certainly hope poor old RIM comes up with a next-generation OS/hardware combo to stay in the game.

Last edited by BearX220; Oct 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:28 pm

Android

I have had Blackberry, Iphone and now Samsung Android phone. by far hands down I find my samsung android based phone much more useful and have never had the problems described below. I have found an app for everything I need or had with my other phones and the good part was most of the apps were free.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My husband switched from his blackberry to an Android phone. He loves it. As for battery life, he bought an extended battery. Done. His Droid Incredible 2 is also good overseas.

4S has been "underwhelming". http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ch_LEFTTopNews
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC*E
I've owned both (iPhone 4 and Galaxy S), and objectively know that both have their pluses and minuses. You can't really go wrong with either. Thinking about your needs however, I really think the iPhone will be a better choice for you. You already have an iPad so all your iPad apps will port over to the iPhone and you won't need to pay twice for apps. The battery life for the iPhone 4 is still the best in the business and the 4S is slightly better in that capacity. More importantly, just like your iPad and MacBook, "it just works."

You can't really go wrong with either... but life will be a lot simpler if you get the iPhone.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:28 pm

I'm in a similar situation, been with Blackberry for a few years, but now am considering, Iphone vs Android vs another Blackberry. I will be interested to hear the opinions of others on this thread.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Disclosure: I've been a BB user since they were first in the form of pagers. I've gone through almost every iteration of them up until recently. I went over to Android and have dabbled in iOS for the past 1.5 years.

In a nutshell, if you travel a lot, and need access to your emails at all times (i.e. on the plane where there is no internet connection), the BB is still the way to go. Android and iOS will get you your email, of course, but it's when you really need it, and you don't have internet connection, that I really miss the BB. Android only gives me 30 days of emails synced; while BB can keep it till memory runs out.

On my Android, I cannot get all my emails to pull up with all the content when there's no internet/data connection (and that's usually in the subway or on the plane). On the BB, I can have a majority of my emails. Because BB was built with messaging in mind from the beginning, it is a more robust system. Not to mention the complete sync w/ my corporate Exchange server. I can sync my Notes, something I cannot do with Exchange (out of the box). I use my Outlook Notes several times a day to look up information, and it synced perfectly when I had my BB.

There's also the battery life and the stability of my previous Blackberries. They outshine any Android device.

That said, Android and iOS seems superior with regards to other things, like entertainment and the browser experience. The Android and iOS are just more versatile, given the apps selection and multiple hardware vendors.

Of course, form factor can also be a consideration. BB's don't really have much in the variety of styles. There's only a couple of models that have a slider configuration with keyboard and touchscreen, or full screen only, but majority are keyboard and screen that hasn't changed much for a while. Their trackpad is great, much better than the trackball, but compared to the form factor offerings of Android, it is a bit on the limited side.

In the end, you'll need to prioritize what's the most important thing about the smartphone you need it for. An extended email platform so you are more tied into your messaging system, or an all in one device. Everybody will have their own priorities as to what's more important. My friends can't live without their apps, while my colleagues can't live without their email.
Others may have a different opinion, but those are my 2 cents.

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Oct 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:49 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by Me2E
I'm in a similar situation, been with Blackberry for a few years, but now am considering, Iphone vs Android vs another Blackberry. I will be interested to hear the opinions of others on this thread.
I'm in the same boat. As I am getting older the screen size on my BB Tour is harder and harder to read. I really was hoping for a larger screen on the iPhone, but have been disappointed. Now thinking of waiting a few more months for the Dinara to come out and making a decision then.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Disclosure: I've been a BB user since they were first in the form of pagers. I've gone through almost every iteration of them up until recently. I went over to Android and have dabbled in iOS for the past 1.5 years.

In a nutshell, if you travel a lot, and need access to your emails at all times (i.e. on the plane where there is no internet connection), the BB is still the way to go. Android and iOS will get you your email, of course, but it's when you really need it, and you don't have internet connection, that I really miss the BB. Android only gives me 30 days of emails synced; while BB can keep it till memory runs out.

On my Android, I cannot get all my emails to pull up with all the content when there's no internet/data connection (and that's usually in the subway or on the plane). On the BB, I can have a majority of my emails. Because BB was built with messaging in mind from the beginning, it is a more robust system. Not to mention the complete sync w/ my corporate Exchange server. I can sync my Notes, something I cannot do with Exchange (out of the box). I use my Outlook Notes several times a day to look up information, and it synced perfectly when I had my BB.

There's also the battery life and the stability of my previous Blackberries. They outshine any Android device.

That said, Android and iOS seems superior with regards to other things, like entertainment and the browser experience. The Android and iOS are just more versatile, given the apps selection and multiple hardware vendors.

Of course, form factor can also be a consideration. BB's don't really have much in the variety of styles. There's only a couple of models that have a slider configuration with keyboard and touchscreen, or full screen only, but majority are keyboard and screen that hasn't changed much for a while. Their trackpad is great, much better than the trackball, but compared to the form factor offerings of Android, it is a bit on the limited side.

In the end, you'll need to prioritize what's the most important thing about the smartphone you need it for. An extended email platform so you are more tied into your messaging system, or an all in one device. Everybody will have their own priorities as to what's more important. My friends can't live without their apps, while my colleagues can't live without their email.
I actually agree with everything you have said. On email, in addition to what I wrote above, I should add that the most frequent polling schedule you can set on the Android is every 15 minutes... which means you inevitably get messages late. (And you can set the polling interval to as much as four hours, which shows how important email is to the Android brain trust.) At the end of the day it's just as you have said, the Android is a fitful and reluctant messaging platform while the BBerry was born that way.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:47 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I carry both Android and BB

I have the new BB 9930, and it's the best blackberry device I've owned. They finally got it right. It's fast, and the annoying clock that comes out has been minimized (still shows up once in a while though) However, I still find the updating of the apps very annoying. Having to reboot, manual updates are not very appealing, good thing that doesn't happen often

Now Android, that is just fun. I have the Original Droid (almost two years old now), and I love the platform. With Android you can keep the device as simple as you want (a'la iPhone) or you can go all geek, and play with ROMS (different versions of the OS)
I've changed OS so many times I can't even remember what version I am in sometimes.

But if going crazy like that, is not your thing, Android is a good platform, has lots of Apps, I constantly use widgets. Flash is great (my daughter goes to educational sites that are all flash) and the fact that you can switch keyboards (Swype, FlexT9) is awesome. Having full google integration with email, calendar, contacts, free GPS turn by turn, Google Voice, Google Music is great.

And you also have the Amazon Appstore, that has a free app a day (sometimes is rubbish, but more often than not the app is quite good)

Hope that answers your questions, coming from an Android and BB user
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold
well, interesting to see different perspectives. this is a complicated question for sure, i will throw out some info but can't write up a full take atm.

i work in IT and am have been an android user since the original motorola droid (O.G.). i now use the droid 2 global.
you mentioned LTE, so I assume you are on Verizon?

android is fun, but fragmented in its current state. my take on it is it is not right for everyone. i really like it, i used to LOVE it.
with Gmail no one should be using POP anymore. POP polling might only be every 15 mins but Gmail is instant, Exchange support is getting better. if you POP from your own domain, you can set up Gmail for use with your domain for free (for up to 10 people).

the advice i can give if you are curious about android is wait for the Samsung Nexus Prime. which rumor says may be at the end of october.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...martphone.html

my boss is a die hard windows guy, used a berry forever, got a droid, gave up and went to an iphone and has never looked back. he can't rave about it enough.

apple stuff just works. they don't adopt stuff quickly like android, one speculation on no LTE for the 4S is battery life. But when they do they usally do it with a better way and a more good looking product.
in the new version of ios (apple) they will support ota (over the air) updating of apps. which is something android has been doing and is a welcome change for ios users and honestly was one of the biggest annoyances for me.
a few 4S pros:
-world phone
-really nice 8MP camera
-beautiful display

i agree that the iphone might be the best way to go for you. the iphone 5 might not be too far away (which could mean months)

here is an obvious android focused take - http://blogs.computerworld.com/19047...urce=rss_blogs

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24115...own_chart.html

my two cents for now.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld

I second everything in this post^
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input.

After reading the posts here and some of what other sites have said I am not sure if Android is going to work for me. I am a VERY heavy email user on the road, with multiple e-mail addresses for both sending and receiving. Even the salesperson at Verizon said that Android is not as secure and not near as user friendly with multiple addresses, even though he loves and owns one. That being said, the new Android phones just seem like they would be GREAT for multimedia applications. They are loaded with features and technology that I will likely never see on a Blackberry.

As far as the iPhone, I know I don't really like the touchscreen keyboard, but as far as e-mail, if it handles it like my iPad then I wouldn't be as concerned, especially now that it can search the content with IOS 5.

It does seem like they dropped the ball on the whole iPhone 4S with all of the hype. But, since I never owned an iPhone before, going from a Blackberry may be enough of a jump in technology that I may be fine with it. I do recall reading numerous articles before Tuesday stating that they wouldn't be releasing the iPhone 5. They stated numerous reasons, including the fact that they didn't do a huge press conference, rather they stayed on campus. And, that supply line leaks showed the form factor being the same as the current iPhone. I just think they should have been up front about it from the beginning. I guess watching Netflix's CEO stumble through PR 101 wasn't enough.

The only thing holding me back on the iPhone side, is how well it handles e-mail and how secure it is. They both do WIFI hot spots so that is a plus, and they both have touch screens, which is a bit of a minus. Android has replaceable batteries which is a big plus, and the iPhone doesn't, big minus.

But, it does seem like Blackberry still does certain things very well. Maybe not a lot of things, but as far as secure e-mail and typing, I am not sure if there is anything out there that is better. Had the new Bold not been configured with such a bad camera and offered a WIFI hotspot, I would have probably stayed with Blackberry even though I would be limited on the multimedia and apps side. I do use the camera quite a bit and that was a major factor. I have read good things about the new Bold, just nothing good about the camera or any other features besides e-mail and messenger.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BearX220
I switched from a Blackberry to a Motorola Android phone this year. My take is that the Blackberry is doggedly, reliably good at a few crucial things, while the Android is kind of, sort of good at a lot of things, crucial and not.

Android battery life is ridiculous. If you are used to getting two or three days out of your Blackberry you will come to hate the constant hunt for charging opportunities that is Android life. One business day is about all you can expect with moderate use; with heavy use, just a few hours before it conks out.
My bold (9700) manages about week before needing a charge, my boss has an iPhone 4 and manages a day if she's lucky, she keeps a charging cable at the office permenantly.

Originally Posted by BearX220
I don't know if I'd make the switch over again. I certainly hope poor old RIM comes up with a next-generation OS/hardware combo to stay in the game.
That supposedly is the QNX based OS that will be appearing on new devices next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.