Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Has your ipad been beneficial while on the road?

Old Sep 4, 11, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Thinking of buying one for my summer in Europe trip, but only if it can be a good travel tool and save me time and money.

Have applications saved your trip? Saved you money? Found you last minute lodging?

I have seen some great apps that I think I would want access to such as ones helping find lodging, flights, train deals. Help finding places to eat, information about places and regions, goings on, etc... Also ones that give you information about airports and what's at them, lounges avail, etc...

Please share what ipad has done for you while you travel
Old Sep 4, 11, 1:26 pm

I love traveling with my iPad. Where I use it most is finding a restaurant and getting my email. It's so handy and I can just throw it in my purse. Had it in Europe in May and I can't imagine being Without it. It's just so much nicer than having to use my iPhone for these things.

Bobette
Old Sep 4, 11, 10:52 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
IMHO, the greatest travel accessory ever.

I was looking the other day at a stack of magazines and books that are all now replaced by iPad - talk about weight/bulk savings!

To be honest, I don't even take my computer any more. iPad will do 95% of what I need to, and that 5% can wait
Old Sep 5, 11, 4:10 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors, Marriott, SPG == Gold.
I love trip it on my iPad. Probably the best travel app I have on my iPad. It is also a great media consumption device. I pull down an entire season of soe show from iTunes and that will last me a couple of weeks.

If you can afford it, I say do it.
Old Sep 5, 11, 11:59 pm

well you can use it to book your hotels thru priceline and such but you can honestly do same thing with an iphone or ipod touch(connected to wifi). But it is nice to read on big screen while on the road.
Old Sep 6, 11, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
My 3G iPad 2 has been very useful on the road - checking flight schedules, locating the closest hotels, restaurants, locations, etc. All very handy as it includes a GPS.

Ironically, it's biggest flaw is why I will switch to a 3G Android tablet in the future - lack of turn by turn Google Maps directions, which is great on such a large screen. The lack of flash is also a big turn off. When I'm on the road and I need to access websites with flash content, I do not want to have to boot up my laptop in addition to the iPad 2 to get that content.

So yes the iPad 2 has been very beneficial on the road, but a 3G Android tablet with GPS probably would be even more beneficial.
Old Sep 6, 11, 4:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I find it beneficial for most purposes. Short trips, it's nice to just carry one charger for my ipad and iphone, and it beats surfing the web on my iphone all the time, is better for in-flight entertainment (movies/magazines/books), and has a good enough battery life to use all day and only worry about charging at night.

That said, for longer trips I think I will still need to pack a laptop. For example taking photos/videos, I sometimes need a way to download the videos from the SD card and clean up -- not possible with the iPad (64 gb is just not enough space). Also some web sites simply don't work well. And it's still not easy to do any real work (spreadsheets and documents to name a few). Still, I don't think I could leave it at home and bring just the laptop, either.
Old Sep 7, 11, 2:45 am

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Converted to iPad two months ago. have to say it's the best business tool for travelers that I've found.

Great battery life, portable, quick to boot, video player etc. I've found that I rarely miss my laptop so have been leaving that in the office on my weekly travels and have to say my iPad does 95% of what I want. The other 5% can wait till I get home.
Old Sep 7, 11, 4:51 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Well. I asked a while back wether I should get an ipad now or wait for the ipad 3. I ended u going with everyone's advice and get an ipad, although, I picked up a used ipad1, young enough to add applecare on it and with a leather case, for a bargain. I haven't traveled with it yet but I have stopped lugging my MBP to the film production school I'm currently attending. We have macs at school as well.

I use idisk to transfer files between my MBP. the school imac and the ipad. My idisk also harbors files I need for work with my clients for quick access.

I'm also setting it up with travel tools such as packing list. travel planners, booking apps, etc. For productivity, pages and numbers went straight on it. (I hardly use keynote at all). Films and TV shows go on there (i said I study film, eh?)

I am extremely happy with it and am just kicking myself for not having gotten it sooner.

I will most certainly get the ipad3 whenever that comes out. No doubt.
Old Sep 8, 11, 1:53 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) | Hyatt Globalist | HHonors Diamond
Emma65, did you go with a 16/32/64 gig ipad?
Old Sep 8, 11, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Rotodavid123 View Post
Converted to iPad two months ago. have to say it's the best business tool for travelers that I've found.

Great battery life, portable, quick to boot, video player etc. I've found that I rarely miss my laptop so have been leaving that in the office on my weekly travels and have to say my iPad does 95% of what I want. The other 5% can wait till I get home.
For the "other 5%", has any consideration been given to use it as a thin client -- to remotely control a computer workstation via the iPads in order to try to do that "other 5%" while away? Was it the (lack of) mouse use that was an item of concern?

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 8, 11 at 6:14 am
Old Sep 8, 11, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
For the "other 5%", has any consideration been given to use it as a thin client -- to remotely control a computer workstation via the iPads in order to try to do that "other 5%" while away? Was it the (lack of) mouse use that was an item of concern?
I've attempted to use the iPad as a thin client and the lack of a mouse is basically the dealbreaker. Most of the remote access apps I've tried do use multi-gestures to simulate a mouse, but still not good enough.

Hopefully the iPad3 will allow for bluetooth mouse support, as very difficult to create real content without one. This and the lack of an accessible file system are my biggest problems with the iPad.

Like others here it is still good enough for 90-95% of what I need to do, and I have started leaving the laptop at home. Depending on user specific needs the iPad may not be viable as a laptop replacement.
Old Sep 8, 11, 12:20 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by SQ421 View Post
Emma65, did you go with a 16/32/64 gig ipad?
64GB 3G. Not a scratch on it. Under a year old. Paid $450 inc a leather case. Came with everything included. I checked the serial before I paid it so knew I could add applecare on it.

Just added 3 seasons of my fave TV show on it. :-)

As for a working tool, I do almost everything on it. Update websites, type out and turn in my school assignments. Facebook or post here. I have the manual to a software on the ipad sitting next to me while learning the software on the mac. Play games. The lot.

I have not yet figured out how to print documents straight off it but I'll get there. Am sure there is a ton of stuff that is useful for what I do that I haven't figured out yet. Which reminds me - got to get iMovie for iPad on it.
Old Sep 8, 11, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Emma65 View Post
I have not yet figured out how to print documents straight off it but I'll get there.
Airsharing HD
Print Central for iPad
Old Sep 8, 11, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA ExP
In terms of saving money, no I could have used another device (laptop or iPhone) to accomplish the same. Typically my iPhone (or any smartphone) has saved me money as it goes out for the day while the iPad may be in the safe.

For leisure I won't bring the laptop as I'd rarely need more than the iPad so it's a big space/weight saver. It works best for media consumption, web browsing, email (I have a folding bluetooth keyboard), and photo backup (copy to iPad, copy to cloud). Photo organization leaves a bit to be desired (I'd like to be able to update my iPhoto library on the go which isn't possible currently). The flash limitation isn't that big for me.

For business trips it's a wash a best as I still carry the laptop but just skip the extra battery and media drive. I don't have access to the corporate VPN on the iPad (fortunately I DO have access to email/calendar w/o VPN access). If I did I think document limitations would be an issue (shared drives, MS Office track changes, PDF creation, etc). Also I work off a X11 term a lot (need full X11 access and a ssh term won't cut it).

Search this Thread