Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Simple Cell Phone for Elderly Parent in Montreal with GPS

Old Aug 21, 11, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG

I am looking for a simple inexpensive cell phone for my elderly dad in Montreal to have, preferably with a gps function allowing us to know where he is. He has refused to carry one until now and will likely use it only to receive calls from my mother or for emergencies. If anyone has suggestions, they would be appreciated
Old Aug 21, 11, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want GPS for when he gets lost, he'll need a smartphone.

Just get him an iPhone.
Old Aug 21, 11, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Thanks. I am not looking for something for him to use as a gps. I am looking for something I can use to know where he is, should it be necessary. He would not use any of the features or apps of an iphone and I would prefer not to pay for data plans he would not use, unless that is the only way to get what we need
Old Aug 21, 11, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oceanrider View Post
Thanks. I am not looking for something for him to use as a gps. I am looking for something I can use to know where he is, should it be necessary. He would not use any of the features or apps of an iphone and I would prefer not to pay for data plans he would not use, unless that is the only way to get what we need
As far as I know, you'd still need a smartphone for this. The GPS needs a program to use the GPS chip and report its location to some central server you can check in with. Lookout for Android/iOS comes to mind. And the only way such an app can be in touch with a central server is via a data connection.

It appears that Jitterbug would fit what you need, but it's not available in Canada. They sell simple phones for seniors and have an add-on service where you can make a call to a "Urgent Response" desk that can GPS track your phone and notify your designated personal contact of trouble. Perhaps there's a Canadian Jitterbug equivalent?

Search this Thread