FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Buy ipad 2 now or wait? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1248353-buy-ipad-2-now-wait.html)

Emma65 Aug 18, 2011 4:57 am

Originally Posted by X3Skier (Post 16941511)
I usually wait until refubs show up on Apple's site before I spring for anything. Same warranty and nothing really overwhelming between generations to me for usually about a 10-20% discount.

I would love to buy refurbed or 2nd hand but I am having a hard time finding them. At least here in Sweden.

Sierra Kilo Aug 19, 2011 6:27 am

According to today's Wall Street Journal, Apple is now working with suppliers on a planned trial production to begin in October, with the "next" iPad (the article refrains from calling it the iPad 3) targeted for "early 2012."

The next generation iPad is expected to feature a high resolution display - 2048 by 1536 compared with 1024 by 768 in the iPad 2. I stuck with my iPad 1 because I didn't see enough advantages to go with the 2, but it's likely I will go with the 3. Let's hope it also has a faster processor, more storage space and longer battery life.

fishferbrains Aug 20, 2011 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Sierra Kilo (Post 16952576)
According to today's Wall Street Journal, Apple is now working with suppliers on a planned trial production to begin in October, with the "next" iPad (the article refrains from calling it the iPad 3) targeted for "early 2012."

The next generation iPad is expected to feature a high resolution display - 2048 by 1536 compared with 1024 by 768 in the iPad 2. I stuck with my iPad 1 because I didn't see enough advantages to go with the 2, but it's likely I will go with the 3. Let's hope it also has a faster processor, more storage space and longer battery life.

My general recommendation to friends for Apple products is that if you didn't buy one within the first 3 months of a launch, then wait for the next one. That way you can be the first of your friends to wave around the next best thing.

For me the resale hassle is a pain; and revised Apple updates are often "want" vs "need" choices.

stueys Aug 20, 2011 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Sierra Kilo (Post 16952576)
I stuck with my iPad 1 because I didn't see enough advantages to go with the 2, but it's likely I will go with the 3. Let's hope it also has a faster processor, more storage space and longer battery life.

Think the key difference between 1 and 2 for me was the weight and battery life. Camera is nice but we've multiple iPhones so not critical. The weight and size of the thing really helps though.

D582 Aug 21, 2011 1:20 pm

I too have been wrestling with this decision. I want to get an iPad, however I'm not really impressed with the screen on the iPad 2, especially compared to my iPhone 4 so that's really what has been holding me back.

I also hope the iPad 3 ups the memory configs from 16/32/64 to 32/64/128

Lincoln Aug 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by D582 (Post 16965419)
I too have been wrestling with this decision. I want to get an iPad, however I'm not really impressed with the screen on the iPad 2, especially compared to my iPhone 4 so that's really what has been holding me back.

I also hope the iPad 3 ups the memory configs from 16/32/64 to 32/64/128

I know what you mean, the retina display on my phone has spoiled me rotten.

I may end up getting an iPad in the next couple of weeks though, as I've been doing a lot of photo editing and mobile researching using some of nifty iPhone apps I have installed, and I kept saying "Sheesh this would be a LOT easier if I had an iPad." I think I'm finally about due for one. :D

david55 Oct 26, 2011 3:44 pm

2 months later.... any further thoughts on waiting?

In the market for my first ipad. I am not in a big hurry. Wait till spring for the ipad 3 or go now for the 2?

Sierra Kilo Oct 27, 2011 9:09 am

Originally Posted by david4455 (Post 17341071)
In the market for my first ipad. I am not in a big hurry. Wait till spring for the ipad 3 or go now for the 2?

Well, spring is now less than six months away. Personally I think I'll wait, but at least I have an iPad 1 to get me by until then... :D

Markusff Oct 27, 2011 11:00 pm

since i have the iPad 1, i am a pure iPad traveler, no matter if business or private... there are only two things that bother me. 1st thing.. no camera, which makes the skype calls with my gf a bit boring, 2nd, excel or numbers, doesn't work at all on the ipad, that probably won't change with the iPad 3.. but I still will go for it, hopefully in Spring 12. buying an iPad 2 now? no, think a waste of money if u have an iPad 1.. if not.. don't waste time enjoy the fun of an iPad.. NOW ;)

GUWonder Oct 29, 2011 3:45 am

I wouldn't be purchasing an iPad of any sort this year or even early next. Just hope that the iPad 3 has at least one built-in USB port.

star_world Oct 31, 2011 8:16 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 17355180)
Just hope that the iPad 3 has at least one built-in USB port.

You are likely to be hoping (in vain) for a long time for that. The main reason being that Apple doesn't think you need one.

X3Skier Oct 31, 2011 8:53 am

I wouldn't be purchasing an iPad of any sort this year or even early next. Just hope that the iPad 3 has at least one built-in USB port.

I use an adapter which works good enough. Just another piece to stuff in the gear bag.

Cheers

antichef Oct 31, 2011 10:04 am

Originally Posted by X3Skier (Post 17365177)
I use an adapter which works good enough. Just another piece to stuff in the gear bag.

Cheers

Care to explain that? I have heard about camera adaptors being used but mixed results. What do you use it for, and how? Any problems?

arf04 Oct 31, 2011 12:02 pm

I debated it for a long time and finally just went and got my first iPad about 6 weeks ago and have absolutely no regrets. I love the thing and have found it very useful for my work. If it were just to play with (which I love using it for!) I would probably just have waited, but as I use it to write and for other work-type purposes I'm more than pleased that I have it.

planemechanic Oct 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by arf04 (Post 17366290)
I debated it for a long time and finally just went and got my first iPad about 6 weeks ago and have absolutely no regrets. I love the thing and have found it very useful for my work. If it were just to play with (which I love using it for!) I would probably just have waited, but as I use it to write and for other work-type purposes I'm more than pleased that I have it.

A very common reaction among those who have finally made the purchase.