Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Empower Adaptors and Voltage

Old Aug 4, 11, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I have car (12v) chargers for all my devices.

I can buy a car to empower adaptor for pennies. But its just an adaptor so my understanding is that 15v+ is going into the 12v charger and this wont be good.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/134498...r/Product.html

Am I missing something ?

Thanks
Dec
Old Aug 4, 11, 6:31 pm

12V car batteries charge at around 14V off the alternator. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Aug 4, 11, 8:05 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Sorry to hijack the thread, but…

I have a 120 Watt Inverter and want to take the inverter as a backup for 3 different laptops, a 13" MacBook Pro, 13" Toshiba Portege R705-P25 , and a Dell Inspiron 15". I have Empower Adaptors specific to each of the 3 laptops, but the adaptors will be used for the first time.

BTW, two of the laptops are my Grandkids and we are going to Europe in two weeks. Didn't want anyone to think I would be using all three myself!

My question is, if for some reason one of the specific adaptors fail, can I use the inverter for any of the laptops?

The specs for the Inverter state:
Output rated power: 120W
Continuous: 150W Max

TIA,
Lydia
Old Aug 4, 11, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lydia View Post
I have a 120 Watt Inverter and want to take the inverter as a backup for 3 different laptops, a 13" MacBook Pro, 13" Toshiba Portege R705-P25 , and a Dell Inspiron 15". I have Empower Adaptors specific to each of the 3 laptops, but the adaptors will be used for the first time.

BTW, two of the laptops are my Grandkids and we are going to Europe in two weeks. Didn't want anyone to think I would be using all three myself!

My question is, if for some reason one of the specific adaptors fail, can I use the inverter for any of the laptops?

The specs for the Inverter state:
Output rated power: 120W
Continuous: 150W Max

TIA,
Lydia
As long as each of your laptops uses less than 120 watts, yes.

Note that airline power outlets will turn off if you plug in something that tries for more than 75 watts.

Search this Thread