Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM for once-a-year use

Old Aug 3, 11, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Hi, as the title suggests, I only visit New York once every year. What is the cheapest prepaid SIM (for GSM phone) option that would let me keep my number for a year?

I had a look at AT&T's Pay As You Go Plan and they requires a top-up of USD$100 to prevent the SIM from expiring for 1 year. By "expiring" does it mean the SIM card (and phone number) is no longer usable?
Old Aug 3, 11, 2:05 am

I'm 99.7% sure the only two GSM carriers here are AT&T and T-Mobile, however the latter is known for not being as bad about Shanghaiing you. It's unfortunate that more then half the the major mobile providers are CDMA.
Old Aug 3, 11, 2:19 am

Probably t-mobile at the moment, but you would still need to buy an initial fill of $100 to get the best rate on your minutes and to make them last a year, though you can buy the fills/refills slightly discounted at places like callingmart.com. (they offer 5% off on the web site, but they often have additional discounts that they announce on their facebook wall and via their twitter account. You can usually get the $100 refill for $92 or so if you wait for the sale price. Otherwise it's $95.)

If you top it up before the year is up, they extend all your time for another year. They send you a message on your phone with that info when your minutes are close to expiring.

Unfortunately, AT&T is trying to buy t-mobile, so there's no telling how long the t-mobile prepaid plan will last, since it's much better than the AT&T 2 GO prepaid plan.

If you let the SIM expire, you do lose the phone number.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 3, 11 at 4:59 am
Old Aug 3, 11, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies tgcujo and LIH Prem.

I was told by some guy on ebay (who sells SIMs) that the SIM and phone number will never be lost even if I do not top up past the expiration date. I was suspicious, thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Thanks very much.
Old Aug 3, 11, 5:02 am

You can buy the sim on the t-mobile web site, though not sure if they will ship it overseas or not. Or you can just find a t-mobile retail store when you get here. I think the SIM costs around $6 or something negligible.

here it is ...

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...Activation-Kit

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 3, 11 at 5:07 am
Old Aug 3, 11, 5:17 am

As mentioned, Tmobile is your best bet in this situation. Once you topup with the $100, you can just topup with the minumum of $10 yearly to keep it going. I have had a tmobile sim for the past 6 years that I use as a backup, and this is how I have kept it going.
Old Aug 3, 11, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I would absolutely agree about T-mobile but just add that their coverage is not as extensive as ATT's - not a problem, of course, in NYC but it is a problem in suburb land of some major cities. Both websites have coverage maps, of course.
Old Aug 3, 11, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by RyanTan View Post
I had a look at AT&T's Pay As You Go Plan and they requires a top-up of USD$100 to prevent the SIM from expiring for 1 year. By "expiring" does it mean the SIM card (and phone number) is no longer usable?
Yes.

I posted a similar question in the BA forum a few months back. I had some good responses, and eventually ended up with the AT&T plan. I am in the US once every 6/8 weeks or so and this is a great arrangement for me. A word of warning, the Samsung clamshell phone that comes with this plan is a true piece of junk!

My thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...us-mobile.html.
Old Aug 3, 11, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
As mentioned, Tmobile is your best bet in this situation. Once you topup with the $100, you can just topup with the minumum of $10 yearly to keep it going. I have had a tmobile sim for the past 6 years that I use as a backup, and this is how I have kept it going.
One note: if AT&T merges with T-Mobile, expect this to go away.

What I would do is sign up for Google Voice and get a US number. Then whenever you come over, sign up for any old prepaid service with the minimum top-up (usually $10) and forward your GV number to it. Saves you from having to waste the initial $100 on airtime, and you don't have to worry about when T-Mobile's prepaid plans go away. You don't care what your prepaid cell number is and will probably end up with a different one every time, but no one will ever know it because you will only give them your GV number.
Old Aug 3, 11, 7:43 pm

Hi, as the title suggests, I only visit New York once every year. What is the cheapest prepaid SIM (for GSM phone) option that would let me keep my number for a year?

With T-Mobile PAYG if you initially buy a $100 voucher it will last a full 365 days. After your initial $100 a $10 voucher is all that is necessary to renew for another 365 days. Buy an extra $10 voucher when you're in the states and you'll always be able to have a working account. I believe you cannot buy time with a non-US credit card though the easiest thing to do is to get a voucher or vouchers in the states when you're here. Just note that $10 will fulfill your obligation, but for the best per minute rate you need to fill with either a $50 or $100 voucher. You can also get voucher PINs through places such as callingmart.
Old Aug 3, 11, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Yes.

I posted a similar question in the BA forum a few months back. I had some good responses, and eventually ended up with the AT&T plan. I am in the US once every 6/8 weeks or so and this is a great arrangement for me. A word of warning, the Samsung clamshell phone that comes with this plan is a true piece of junk!

My thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...us-mobile.html.
For residents of the UK, Australian, and the Netherlands, look at Truphone. You get a standard UK Mobile (or Aussie Mobile number) with free incoming calls in the US (or one of the other listed countries) and calls to the US, UK, and OZ for $0.15 a minute (landlines). While $0.15 a minute is more expensive than $0.10, they bill by the second which makes it much closer. You can rent a US number for $8 a month.

Just as importantly, you can use the home back home to satisfy any usage requirements. While the other options may prove a bit cheaper, you can sit these SIMs to recharge from your credit card. It is a nice balance for some.
Old Aug 3, 11, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
Huh? How are you topping up with only $10/yr??
Old Aug 4, 11, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.mysimplemobile.com/index.aspx

$60 for unlimited text/calling/data per month. No contract.
Old Aug 4, 11, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by weekilter View Post
With T-Mobile PAYG if you initially buy a $100 voucher it will last a full 365 days. After your initial $100 a $10 voucher is all that is necessary to renew for another 365 days. Buy an extra $10 voucher when you're in the states and you'll always be able to have a working account. I believe you cannot buy time with a non-US credit card though the easiest thing to do is to get a voucher or vouchers in the states when you're here. Just note that $10 will fulfill your obligation, but for the best per minute rate you need to fill with either a $50 or $100 voucher. You can also get voucher PINs through places such as callingmart.
wow, that's quite an idea. I wish I had posted something like that. oh that's right. I did in post #3.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 4, 11 at 4:27 am
Old Aug 4, 11, 1:37 am

Thanks for the helpful replies tgcujo and LIH Prem.

I was told by some guy on ebay (who sells SIMs) that the SIM and phone number will never be lost even if I do not top up past the expiration date. I was suspicious, thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Thanks very much.
I can't speak for AT&T, but with T-Mobile if you have a SIM that hasn't had any money added to it 90 days past the expiration of minutes the account will be terminated and you will be required to get a new SIM and activation code.

Search this Thread