Wiki Posts
Search

Blackberry Playbook is the Rodney Dangerfield of tablets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Blackberry Playbook is the Rodney Dangerfield of tablets

and gets no respect.

I've had a Blackberry Playbook now for a month or so and must say that it is undoubtedly a tablet that deserves lots of respect - assuming that you own a Blackberry phone.

The Playbook has been bashed for not having any "native" email or PIM apps like calendars, but that, IMO is its strength (again, assuming you own a BB phone)

I get the benefits of a larger screen and don't need to worry about keeping things in sync. Nor do I need to worry about my emails or other personal data if the device gets lost or stolen as all the data resides on the phone itself - break the connection and the data is gone.

The form factor is also an advantage. It fits neatly into the pocket of cargo pants and most inside pockets of windbreaker and the like - if you can fit a large, thin paperback book then the Playbook will fit.

The biggest advantage is simply the ability to get online when there is no wifi available (and, like me, you're too cheap to pay for a separate data only account with limited data) via the BB Bridge browser. You get the same speeds like you get with PDANet, Tether or other tethering programs but reliably and without wires. Also (except for those with AT&T) it doesn't break any Terms of Service agreements and allows you data to whatever cap you have for your BB data - in my case unlimited.

While it clearly isn't at wifi speeds, it is certainly faster and obviously more useable that surfing on your phone.

In addition, my wife can pick up the Playbook and manage her emails and calendar. She can sign off the bridge and hand the tablet to me and I can answer my emails.

Does it have downsides? Of course, but some are being rectified even as I post this. The Android player has been leaked already that will allow access to a wide array of Android apps. Most importantly, it will allow access to Kindle, Skype and Netflix - three apps curiously missing from the Playbook at launch.

I believe most of the pundits got it wrong. If you own a BB phone then this is the perfect tablet. If you don't own a BB then it is just one of many tablets out there with only a few advantages - the form factor and a seamless integration of flash media player.

If I didn't own BB phones then I probably would not have considered it, but with the BB it is a slam dunk.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Oh - and why did I post this in the "travel tech" section? This is the ideal device to get online while traveling if no wifi is available and you don't want to get a separate data account for your tablet.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by cb1111
and gets no respect.

I've had a Blackberry Playbook now for a month or so and must say that it is undoubtedly a tablet that deserves lots of respect - assuming that you own a Blackberry phone.

The Playbook has been bashed for not having any "native" email or PIM apps like calendars, but that, IMO is its strength (again, assuming you own a BB phone)

I get the benefits of a larger screen and don't need to worry about keeping things in sync. Nor do I need to worry about my emails or other personal data if the device gets lost or stolen as all the data resides on the phone itself - break the connection and the data is gone.

The form factor is also an advantage. It fits neatly into the pocket of cargo pants and most inside pockets of windbreaker and the like - if you can fit a large, thin paperback book then the Playbook will fit.

The biggest advantage is simply the ability to get online when there is no wifi available (and, like me, you're too cheap to pay for a separate data only account with limited data) via the BB Bridge browser. You get the same speeds like you get with PDANet, Tether or other tethering programs but reliably and without wires. Also (except for those with AT&T) it doesn't break any Terms of Service agreements and allows you data to whatever cap you have for your BB data - in my case unlimited.

While it clearly isn't at wifi speeds, it is certainly faster and obviously more useable that surfing on your phone.

In addition, my wife can pick up the Playbook and manage her emails and calendar. She can sign off the bridge and hand the tablet to me and I can answer my emails.

Does it have downsides? Of course, but some are being rectified even as I post this. The Android player has been leaked already that will allow access to a wide array of Android apps. Most importantly, it will allow access to Kindle, Skype and Netflix - three apps curiously missing from the Playbook at launch.

I believe most of the pundits got it wrong. If you own a BB phone then this is the perfect tablet. If you don't own a BB then it is just one of many tablets out there with only a few advantages - the form factor and a seamless integration of flash media player.

If I didn't own BB phones then I probably would not have considered it, but with the BB it is a slam dunk.
Why get a playback for the Android apps when you could just get an Android tablet? If you don't have a BlackBerry you're kinda sunk aren't you? Does this mean that the Playbook is only a good device if you have a BlackBerry and otherwise it's lacking?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by weekilter
Does this mean that the Playbook is only a good device if you have a BlackBerry and otherwise it's lacking?
Otherwise its just a pretty looking oversized paperweight.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oh - and why did I post this in the "travel tech" section? This is the ideal device to get online while traveling if no wifi is available and you don't want to get a separate data account for your tablet.
But you can use your iPhone to create a personal hotspot for your iPad as well!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
But you can use your iPhone to create a personal hotspot for your iPad as well!
Not legally in the US and AT&T is actively going after offenders and either canceling their service or adding charges.. In addition, the iPad doesn't do flash.

While the security implications of flash are interesting, the fact remains that many sites use flash - limiting the iPad's use.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weekilter
Why get a playback for the Android apps when you could just get an Android tablet? If you don't have a BlackBerry you're kinda sunk aren't you? Does this mean that the Playbook is only a good device if you have a BlackBerry and otherwise it's lacking?
Not really. Without a blackberry, the Playbook is just another tablet with its specific strengths and weaknesses. The interface is superior to Android and (after using an iPad for a year) it is also superior to the iPad interface.

Originally Posted by SQ421
Otherwise its just a pretty looking oversized paperweight.
That's absurd. With HDMI out, you can stream a movie to your TV while surfing the net. Video is very impressive. it has an outstanding browser that is faster than the iPad's and runs flash.

It is the lack of understanding of the basic concept (and a pretty lousy marketing campaign to date by RIM) that is holding this tablet back.

Like I said in my original post, the Playbook is the ideal companion device for a traveler that has a blackberry. Without a blackberry phone, the device needs to be evaluated on its own.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A someone who owns a PlayBook, iPad and a Motorola Xoom, I can honestly say that the PlayBook is the worst idea for a tablet EVER.

Hardware is amazing - it feels great, the form factor is impressive and it looks awesome. Screen is only so-so. Mine already has four dead pixels, something I have never seen on any other brand name tablet.

But the software is what lets it down. The TV ad where you see cool apps? Those are pretty much the ONLY decent apps.

Superior to Android? In what world? My Honeycomb tablet has a long list of things the PlayBook can't do. HDMI out? All decent tablets have that.

Other things that annoy me -- adding links to the launcher that look like apps, but are nothing more than bookmarks. A link to Amazon with RIM's affiliate ID in it (how cheap can you get). The Facebook app is mediocre, no IMDB app, no decent weather app, no RSS reader, still no native email app (not everyone want to tether to their Blackberry 24/7), no good third party music player. The list goes on and on.

Compared to Android, the iPad or even the TouchPad, I don't see a future for the PlayBook.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is absolutely nothing special about tethering. I can tether any of my Android devices, WebOS, (hacked) iPhones or even my old Windows Mobile device and Symbian phones. What RIM touted as a great feature is actually pretty dull. Plus, you can only tether with another Blackberry, which severely limits your prepaid options when abroad. And finally, with current roaming rates, relying on tethering is a very expensive option.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
There is absolutely nothing special about tethering. I can tether any of my Android devices, WebOS, (hacked) iPhones or even my old Windows Mobile device and Symbian phones. What RIM touted as a great feature is actually pretty dull. Plus, you can only tether with another Blackberry, which severely limits your prepaid options when abroad. And finally, with current roaming rates, relying on tethering is a very expensive option.
There is a difference between tethering and "bridging."

Tethering is using the phone as a modem that legally incurs additional charges in the US, while bridging is using the Playbook as a bigger screen for your BB.

You can tether the Playbook to any hotspot capable phone.

I have the old Sprint international unlimited BB dataplan so I can get intl. data cheaply ($40 a month)

The Playbook obviously isn't for everyone (and probably not even for most people) but it filled a gap for me (and all those other people out there with BB) and is saving me $30 a month over a "tetherable" Android device or iPad. In a year I've paid for the tablet.

I take it you don't have a BB phone.

Last edited by cb1111; Aug 2, 2011 at 11:45 am Reason: Added description of tethering.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
A someone who owns a PlayBook, iPad and a Motorola Xoom, I can honestly say that the PlayBook is the worst idea for a tablet EVER.

Hardware is amazing - it feels great, the form factor is impressive and it looks awesome. Screen is only so-so. Mine already has four dead pixels, something I have never seen on any other brand name tablet.

But the software is what lets it down. The TV ad where you see cool apps? Those are pretty much the ONLY decent apps.

Superior to Android? In what world? My Honeycomb tablet has a long list of things the PlayBook can't do. HDMI out? All decent tablets have that.

Other things that annoy me -- adding links to the launcher that look like apps, but are nothing more than bookmarks. A link to Amazon with RIM's affiliate ID in it (how cheap can you get). The Facebook app is mediocre, no IMDB app, no decent weather app, no RSS reader, still no native email app (not everyone want to tether to their Blackberry 24/7), no good third party music player. The list goes on and on.

Compared to Android, the iPad or even the TouchPad, I don't see a future for the PlayBook.
You are correct that "cool" apps are slow in coming (and can be had by running Android) but the basic productivity apps are there.

I'm not sure that I need multiple apps that make farting noises but there are a handful available for the iPad.

Can you stream a movie on HDMI to a TV while surfing the net or editing a document on an iPad?

You'll note that I said the interface wasbetter than Android, but that is certainly subjective.

The new Facebook app is quite good and RSS apps are readily available. Have you upgraded to the latest version of the OS and checked AppWorld recently? It doesn't sound like you have.

The lack of native email is where the Playbook shines. Keeping that on the BB increases security.

If you look at the Playbook as an iPad wannabe, then it fails. If you look at it as a larger screen for your BB then it is a definite winner in my book.

Oh, the speakers on the Playbook blow the other tablets away.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not legally in the US and AT&T is actively going after offenders and either canceling their service or adding charges..
Really, I hadn't heard this. Seems like a very stupid idea to me. Also, how can they tell?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Really, I hadn't heard this. Seems like a very stupid idea to me. Also, how can they tell?
Here is an article explaining the AT&T strategy.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/b...ethering/11928

AT&T seems to be the provider who is really going after users. Perhaps it is because they were the ones with the first real "big screen" phone that was internet capable and they found that many users started using data.

Although I'm normally connected via wifi, my data useage had quadrupled since I got the Playbook. Part of it is the novelty of sitting in my car waiting for my wife and surfing the 'net and being able to download a movie where wifi is unavailable, but I figure my data useage will probably settle around triple of what I used with just my blackberry.

Most providers have added a "special" monthly fee of $10 or so for "smartphones" and another $20 for allowing that phone to tether (with a 2gb cap. Sprint didn't consider the BB a "smartphone" until recently, so I'm not paying either the $10 or the $20 fee - and am legally getting unlimited data via the Playbook. That $360 a year almost pays for the Playbook.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
AT&T has a tethering option available for a flat fee that adds the ability to create a wifi hotspot from your iPhone ....... i create a hotspot for my kids all the time with it - it's $15-20 / month .......
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Like I said in my original post, the Playbook is the ideal companion device for a traveler that has a blackberry. Without a blackberry phone, the device needs to be evaluated on its own.
And in reference to the bolded part, I stated that it is a pretty looking oversized tablet. If it can't go online without a blackberry, then it is just a pretty screen that can play videos and hold down loose sheets of paper. The other tablets do not seem to have that restriction.

Yes, it has its niche, and a few Government departments are trying it out for use out in the field but as a consumer device, it does not compare to the other tablets, purely because fo the need to have a blackberry to make it usable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.