Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Tablet with WiFi and GSM sim slot , not iPad ?

Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012

Hi

is there a tablet that has both WiFi and a GSM Sim slot for a Data Sim ?

Would be using it in Europe so it will need quad band GSM ,

thanks for your ideas

RB
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Your options will be the one of the Samsung Galaxy Tab's, Dell Streak 7, Motorola Zoom, LG Optimus Pad, Acer Iconia Tab, HTC Flyer, Asus Padfone, or HP Touchpad 4G. The latter two have not been released yet. All use Andriod 3.0 except the HP Touchpad 4G. Do you care about weight, screen size, camera resolution, 4G, internal memory?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
Originally Posted by ERJ_12B
Do you care about weight, screen size, camera resolution, 4G, internal memory?
I am probably on the low end price wise , I will probably break it in a year or less as I am pretty hard on stuff .

I would just like to have something lighter than a netbook, be able to play youtube and internet videos if I have time,

camera would be nice but not really needed, 4g not going to matter ,

RB
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:47 am
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
I would say try to get a Galaxy Tab. With Honeycomb on the Tab it is a decent choice. We have a couple of them at the office for different projects and of the Android tablets, the Samsung ones seem to be the best built.

-J
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Are you sure you couldn't live with a Android Smartphone? You can play youtube and videos on them as well, but you can find models with more reasonable prices.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by redondo-beach
I am probably on the low end price wise , I will probably break it in a year or less as I am pretty hard on stuff .

I would just like to have something lighter than a netbook, be able to play youtube and internet videos if I have time,

camera would be nice but not really needed, 4g not going to matter ,

RB
Then I would look into maybe getting a refurbished unit. Woot.com has had a few tablets as of late for less than $300.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:51 pm

I have the Tmobile Samsung Galaxy Tab with 3G but have to let you know that US 3G versions of the Galaxy tab have the phone function disabled by default. I had to modify my tablet after unlocking so I can use the phone function as a backup phone. It's a great tablet but not as fast as the newer Android tablets out there.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would look into the android tablets. they are fast and can come in just about any configuration you would need overseas.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: SK EBG *G
Just to let you know, the T-mobile Galaxy Tab also works on 3G in Europe. Should be quite cheap as it's getting "old".
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by redondo-beach
Hi

is there a tablet that has both WiFi and a GSM Sim slot for a Data Sim ?

Would be using it in Europe so it will need quad band GSM ,

thanks for your ideas
A rather low-end option would be the original Huawei Ideos S7 - discontinued but probably available cheap, upgradeable to Android 2.2, includes WiFi and both GSM (2G) and UMTS (3G) on European bands. It takes a standard phone-sized SIM (not the MicroSIM). I used one this summer in the UK on Giffgaff (O2 MVNO) and the only time I really had trouble with it was on a train through Wales where GSM coverage probably wasn't that great anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.