FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   T-Mobile: how do I roam using the data plan without incurring additional charges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1238756-t-mobile-how-do-i-roam-using-data-plan-without-incurring-additional-charges.html)

SanDiego1K Jul 19, 2011 5:44 pm

T-Mobile: how do I roam using the data plan without incurring additional charges

We have a T-Mobile contract where we can add international data roaming for a nominal charge. I know that I need to set up my phone so that it doesn't receive any calls, as I will be charged for them.

I managed to do this perfectly on a trip. On the last trip, despite following the same directions, the phone rang at least once. The forwarding instruction seems to drop easily. And if I look at my phone to be sure that all calls are forwarded, the simple act of looking at it causes it to revert to conditional call forwarding. When we returned home, we had a several hundred dollar phone bill. T-Mobile had not properly set up the phone for the international data plan so deducted all charges, whether phone or data.

How can I be confident that all calls are forwarded, and I will be able to use the text and email portion of my phone? The phone agents are not knowledgeable, and I cannot find a FAQ on this topic on the T-Mobile site.

I have a BB 9780.

gfunkdave Jul 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Dial:

*21*[dest]#

Where [dest] is the full phone number of your voicemail system. For T-mobile US it's 1-805-637-7243 (1-805-MESSAGE). So you would dial:

*21*18056377243#

You can also do this by activating all call forwarding from within the menus in the phone app on your Blackberry.

On Blackberries, either of the above methods should result in a little "all calls forwarded" icon on your home screen that looks like a phone handset with an arrow.

SanDiego1K Jul 19, 2011 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 16759535)
On Blackberries, either of the above methods should result in a little "all calls forwarded" icon on your home screen that looks like a phone handset with an arrow.

Perfect. I've tested it, and indeed spotted the icon that will reassure me I've done it properly. Thank you.

OverThereTooMuch Jul 19, 2011 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 16759459)
We have a T-Mobile contract where we can add international data roaming for a nominal charge.

Can you please share data on what this plan is, or is it some private corporation/small business plan? The only international data info I see on their website is $10-15 per MB.

SanDiego1K Jul 19, 2011 11:06 pm

We have the T-Mobile unlimited loyalty plan. I've been told it is no longer available.

OverThereTooMuch Jul 20, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for the info. Bummer, wish I knew about the int data on the loyalty plan earlier. Maybe I would've actually signed a contract. :)

DisneyDude Jul 20, 2011 8:24 am

Bummer

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 16760981)
We have the T-Mobile unlimited loyalty plan. I've been told it is no longer available.

I am sure that there are many of us that would love to have been able to get that plan :-(