Wiki Posts
Search

Selling a laptop

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Selling a laptop

There are various companies now that give you a quote for an old computer, send you a box to ship the computer and then issue a check. Any experiences, recommendations or warnings to share?

I have a five-year old VAIO that was once cutting edge, is now a bit outdated but still works. Anything I'd get for it would be a bonus, really.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
And what to do about "wiping" the hard drive? That's always scared me. I'm afraid I will leave some personal info on there somewhere!
Old May 21, 2011, 8:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Double check what they are going for on e-bay, sometimes that makes more sense to sell them that way instead of the recyclers.

Though any personal information you had on it would of course be a risk, make sure you restore it to new condition first with your restore disk.
Old May 21, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
If you are particularly cautious; wipe the disk with the Debian (sp) Boot and Nuke before disposing it off.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or just use the Windows reinstallation discs to format the drive and reinstall Windows.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
If you are a lawyer as your nick suggests then incinerate the hard drive before selling. Short of destroying the magnetic platters nothing stops a determined attacker from reclaiming data. Thermite works extremely well http://www.youtube.com/v/k-ckechIqW0

Will decrease the value for sure. But eBay is full of HDD-less laptops for this reason.

Last edited by chx1975; May 21, 2011 at 10:50 pm
Old May 21, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Or just use the Windows reinstallation discs to format the drive and reinstall Windows.
That would not wipe sensitive information that free/easily acquired software could not recreate, even if the files look like they are no longer on your computer. This problem is apparently much worse on SSDs too now people are finding out.
Old May 22, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I always use file shredder to wipe hard drives on pc's that leave my ownership. On a three wipe setting, I always thought that was fairly secure, was I wrong?
Old May 22, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by Policypeddler
And what to do about "wiping" the hard drive? That's always scared me. I'm afraid I will leave some personal info on there somewhere!
use DBAN and it will completely erase the hard disk....
Old May 22, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
What do the recyclers quote the machine at? For something that old they usually don't give much and you could do better on ebay or craigslist.
Old May 22, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfolawyer
Anything I'd get for it would be a bonus, really.
Wipe the HD. Donate it to a worthy charity/school. Take deduction for FMV.
Old May 22, 2011, 7:45 am

True. It's usually better to give it to someone or a charity, rather than trying to sell it. Especially considering that one can not get much for a used laptop these days.

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Wipe the HD. Donate it to a worthy charity/school. Take deduction for FMV.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by mrx900
use DBAN and it will completely erase the hard disk....
+1 I always use DBAN (Darik's boot and nuke), works awesome. ^
Old May 22, 2011, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambadam
That would not wipe sensitive information that free/easily acquired software could not recreate, even if the files look like they are no longer on your computer. This problem is apparently much worse on SSDs too now people are finding out.
Nonsense. Formatting the drive (a real format, not the "quick format") will truly clear everything.

Now, if you're concerned that the FBI is after you, then you should use one of the freely available programs that will do several rounds of erasure. But for us regular people who just want to get rid of a computer, a low level format will do just fine.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Apparently modern hard drives http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ecure_del.html will indeed be unreadable after an overwrite. Interesting. The followup paper even suggests that although theoretically you could read stuff from semiconductors but with the increasing density this is becoming more and more a problem.

Note that there is no such thing as a low level format for, I can't remember, twenty years now? When did the last of MFM/RLL/ESDI disks die ?

Also. Melting down a HDD with thermite is fun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.