Wiki Posts
Search

ipad 2 hong kong, us help pls....

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Most of them
ipad 2 hong kong, us help pls....

My wife and I are both interrested in getting ipads.... just easier to carry around and very functional. We live in Houston but will be spending 18 months in Hong Kong starting this fall. Other than recharging, what do we need to know about 3g/4g options (I assume wireless would work the same anywhere)

TIA
Old May 10, 2011, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by fracmeister
My wife and I are both interrested in getting ipads.... just easier to carry around and very functional. We live in Houston but will be spending 18 months in Hong Kong starting this fall. Other than recharging, what do we need to know about 3g/4g options (I assume wireless would work the same anywhere)

TIA
AFAIK, the 3G ipads in Hong Kong are the same. Just need a micro sim from any of the providers and a data plan and just use it like you normally would.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
Originally Posted by fracmeister

TIA
If you're getting them in the US, get the ATT version, not the verizon version. The ATT version will work in HK with the carriers there.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Most of them
Originally Posted by Big_Dutch
If you're getting them in the US, get the ATT version, not the verizon version. The ATT version will work in HK with the carriers there.
Thanks....btw, verizon salesman either do not know this or are willing to prevaricate
Old May 11, 2011, 4:04 am

CDMA does work in HK, but its VERY limited and is only really for inbound roamers.

Your AT&T 3G ipad will work fine in HKG, just swap the sim out. All the providers here (apart from China Mobile) offer 3G plans and most offer plans specifically for the ipad.
Old May 11, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by theworld
CDMA does work in HK, but its VERY limited and is only really for inbound roamers.

Your AT&T 3G ipad will work fine in HKG, just swap the sim out. All the providers here (apart from China Mobile) offer 3G plans and most offer plans specifically for the ipad.
regardless of CDMA's general availability in HK (or anywhere else in the world), the Verizon iPad works on Verizon's network *only*. The AT&T iPad is factory unlocked and works on any GSM network.
Also, to the OP, you do *not* need a new charger. you just need a plug adapter. All of Apple's chargers for all their products are rated for worldwide voltage.
I'd also investigate the cost of unlocked MiFi devices and data-only data plans. It might be cheaper for you to get a WiFi-only version of the iPads (especially given that you'll be there for over a year) and just buy an unlocked MiFi device separately (to which the iPads could connect via WiFi).
Old May 11, 2011, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by lensovet
regardless of CDMA's general availability in HK (or anywhere else in the world), the Verizon iPad works on Verizon's network *only*. The AT&T iPad is factory unlocked and works on any GSM network.
Also, to the OP, you do *not* need a new charger. you just need a plug adapter. All of Apple's chargers for all their products are rated for worldwide voltage.
I'd also investigate the cost of unlocked MiFi devices and data-only data plans. It might be cheaper for you to get a WiFi-only version of the iPads (especially given that you'll be there for over a year) and just buy an unlocked MiFi device separately (to which the iPads could connect via WiFi).
You can do the same with an Android phone (share your data from the phone to the tablet through wifi)
Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
For HK SIMs for the Ipad, a good provider/deal is offered by the network Three. Go to one of their shops. There is actually one at the departures level of HKG airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.