FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   is the ipad2 carrier locked? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1212441-ipad2-carrier-locked.html)

philltx May 5, 2011 7:25 am

is the ipad2 carrier locked?

I'm taking my ipad2 to taipei. do i need to worry about having it unlocked to be able to use a pre-paid sim card for data? could someone please confirm this?

thanks in advance

pdxer May 5, 2011 7:34 am

Originally Posted by philltx (Post 16332131)
I'm taking my ipad2 to taipei. do i need to worry about having it unlocked to be able to use a pre-paid sim card for data? could someone please confirm this?

ipads are unlocked.

Danthecran May 5, 2011 10:42 am

As pdxer said all ipads are unlocked but make sure you have the AT&T version if you want to use the GSM network.

adambadam May 5, 2011 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Danthecran (Post 16333327)
As pdxer said all ipads are unlocked but make sure you have the AT&T version if you want to use the GSM network.

Yes, good point, the Verizon iPad will not let you easily switch in a new SIM card when you travel abroad as it does not even have a SIM slot, I believe, as it works on the CDMA network.

BonzoESC May 5, 2011 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 16336073)
Yes, good point, the Verizon iPad will not let you easily switch in a new SIM card when you travel abroad as it does not even have a SIM slot, I believe, as it works on the CDMA network.

No SIM, and I don't know if you can get it reprogrammed to work on foreign CDMA networks.

jdn May 6, 2011 6:27 am

Please note the iPad uses a "MicroSIM" which has a different form factor than a regular SIM. The technology is the same, and apparently you can just cut a regular SIM to fit... just be prepared.
http://www.solutios.com/simcutting/

Sierra Kilo May 6, 2011 8:05 pm

Yes, you can try the DIY approach to cutting down a SIM card, or get a ready-made cutter on Amazon (which is what I used to make my US T-Mobile card work in my unlocked iPhone 4).

Fact is, since the iPhone 4 uses microSIMs and iPads are getting rather ubiquitous globally, it's not difficult to find prepaid microSIMs ready to drop in your pad in many countries.

I don't have any experience with this in Taiwan, but I've found these in Singapore, UK, Netherlands and Bahrain so far. With luck, you can probably get one from a mobile operator at the airport.

N1120A May 8, 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Danthecran (Post 16333327)

The one issue with the GSM version you have to look out for - make sure the local 3/4G network is on the same bands as AT&T. T-Mobile has the superior network, but iPhones/iPads are not on their bands and will only work up to EDGE speeds.

Big_Dutch May 9, 2011 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 16350546)
The one issue with the GSM version you have to look out for - make sure the local 3/4G network is on the same bands as AT&T.

1) The iPad and iPad 2 don't work on a 4G network. Also, it supports all global 3G bands, UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) Its not a factor of a different frequency with T-Mobile (they also transmit on 1900 and 2100 MHz, but rather use a different protocol HSPA and HSPA+.

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 16350546)
T-Mobile has the superior network

2) Did you seriously just write that with a straight face?" I'm quite the ATT basher myself, but that assertion is just asinine. There is a reason ATT is buying T-Mobile and not the other way around.

Easy Victor May 9, 2011 12:48 pm

No. Not possible. GSM uses completely different circuitry than CDMA.

Originally Posted by BonzoESC (Post 16336728)
No SIM, and I don't know if you can get it reprogrammed to work on foreign CDMA networks.

Danthecran May 9, 2011 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Easy Victor (Post 16354953)
No. Not possible. GSM uses completely different circuitry than CDMA.

That is correct, so if you have the verizon ipad you will not be able to use it on most of the networks in the world.

juelzkellz May 25, 2011 5:27 pm

The AT&T version is GSM and therefore carrier unlocked. The Verizon version is CDMA and not unlocked. If you want the unlocked version, go with the AT&T version.

marktwothousand May 27, 2011 11:24 am

Its unlocked but you MAY need to connect it to iTunes with the SIM card of the carrier you want to use before it will work. That is because in some cases, the iPad will keep the APN settings (those are the settings used to connect to the internet) of the SIM card you activated it with.

If you don't, you should get the APN settings for your preferred carrier and be prepared to enter them manually in the iPad for it to work, if that is an option for you in network settings.

You can also go to www.unlockit.co.nz and email the carrier profile to yourself, and make sure to open the email with the profile right away (but do not install the profile) so you can access it without being connected to the network if needed, to install the profile of the carrier of your preference.

ghfatw Jun 5, 2011 12:13 am

Also:

1. carry a paper clip or pin with you so you can easily switch SIM cards.
2. plan how/where you are going to safely store the SIM cards you are not using (I typically have about 10 with me when I travel)