Reload this Page >

BlackBerry where art thou?

Old Apr 28, 11, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!

When I travel abroad (mostly England) I am amazed at how popular BlackBerry seems to be there.
Ride the Tube and you see BBerry ads everywhere. Pick up a "Monocle" magazine and it is dripping with BlackBerry ads. BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) is really a popular form of rich-texting.

Here in the USA? Not so much. Seems iPhone and Android have taken over.

I just like the ease of email and I don't surf much, but I do wish there were more apps.

Am I the last Blackberry dude?

Last edited by RobbieRunner; Apr 28, 11 at 8:52 pm
Old Apr 28, 11, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Market share over the years in the graph below.

Android has passed blackberry now at 27%, Blackberry and Iphone are now tied at 27%, and Windows makes up most of the rest.

But Blackberry is losing share and fast.

Old Apr 28, 11, 3:21 pm

BB Messenger usage is also interesting. Many of my non-USA folks talk all about it and nearly insist on using it as a text chat system rather than other options. Quite funny actually b/c many of them use gMail and related products (having switched from the oh-so-popular amoungst them -Hotmail-). So they could use Google Talk (the chat program ... not Google Voice) but they don't.

It's taken me 6+ years of personal ownership of a series T-Mo Blackberry and getting it to work with a Mac and MS Entourage. So, you'd think I'd be wedded to the company (if it ain't broke, or if its only partially broke in RIM's case, don't fix it). But, I'm hankering for another option.

I seemed to recall recently reading about a possibly true "world" version of the iPhone from Verizon (e.g. Verizon CDMA here in the US and GSM elsewhere) like my old Siemens phone I had from AT&T. If that came around, I might start thinking about making a jump to an iPhone. I expect the T-Mo merger to (a) go through and (b) be a nightmare for T-Mo customers. But, I'm patiently waiting.

Until then, its a BB Bold for me.
Old Apr 28, 11, 3:50 pm

Blackberry is the only Enterprise Level smartphone solution supported by many non-US GSM carriers. My company was looking at an Android platform as we utilise Google Apps for Business extensively, but none of the GSM carriers in our market was willing to provide Android support as they were for Blackberry.
Old Apr 28, 11, 6:24 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Most folks in Asia uses BB extensively.. Indonesia is one of its still fastest growing market.

I love BBM and I am hooked by it because my entire family uses it. Funny thing is I never really liked BB until the new models came out these past 3 years, and at the insistence of my parents, I finally caved in.
Old Apr 28, 11, 6:38 pm

Right now, I think Blackberry still has better security issue, but my sister works in international for an F500 and they are using iPhone. My wife is still on Blackberry. When I switched to iPhone, my wife made me promise I could find a BBM alternative for us. We went with WhatsApp.
Old Apr 28, 11, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Blackberry is (by it is assumed a small margin) the UK’s most popular mobile. There are also very good PAYG deals for your Berry, like 20 (~$40) for 6 months or 5 (~$10) a month. I've got one and I bought my best friend one for her birthday 18 months ago, that came with a years free BB service. That was so that we could chat on BBM rather than texting which costs me 10p (~20c) a message and is limited to 150 odd characters..

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 28, 11 at 6:55 pm
Old Apr 28, 11, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Blackberry is the only Enterprise Level smartphone solution supported by many non-US GSM carriers. My company was looking at an Android platform as we utilise Google Apps for Business extensively, but none of the GSM carriers in our market was willing to provide Android support as they were for Blackberry.
Android's dirty little secret is that it's not very good at email. Setting up POP3 or Exchange accounts is a nightmare, and the minimum headway for pushes is every 15 minutes. Understandably they are trying to wean everyone over to Gmail, but Gmail doesn't work that well either. Push shuts down without explanation and you have to refresh your Gmail queue manually, making it basically useless.

I got talked into dropping my BlackBerry and switching to a Droid Global by my smart teen son. I regret it.
Old Apr 28, 11, 9:20 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
I just switched my work phone from an old world BB to a droid due to our IT dept no longer supporting BES and I HATE my new phone. Android is really half baked for email/texting etc. I loved my BB for email and BBM and would go back in a minute if I could.
Everyone in our UK offices has a BB and we used to use BBM to chat all the time reducing calling/texting etc.
Old Apr 28, 11, 9:52 pm

Barring lock-in to BBM, I can't see why the average consumer would want a BlackBerry. Everything but email is slow and terrible on a BlackBerry. I ditched my old Bold 9000 for an Android phone and greatly prefer Android.

But RIM does seem to be trying to modernize. The new BlackBerry OS - now only on the Playbook but presumably soon for RIM's phones - is technically much better than the old creaky RIM JVM as it is based on the time-tested QNX platform. So it should crash far less and be much faster.

Unfortunately by default apps are developed using Adobe AIR, which is basically just Flash warmed over. Also, even a month before release, the OS as it appeared in the Playbook SDK was really buggy. It seems like they are frantically trying to get their new OS up to snuff.

It's only a matter of time until Android (and iOS) catches up to the enterprise-ness of BlackBerry. Hopefully RIM is acutely aware of this.
Old Apr 28, 11, 11:05 pm

i love my blackberry, wouldnt trade it for any other phone. bbm is similar enough to sms and doesnt cost anything extra, keeps me and all my international buddies in touch without those steep international rates. now only if they would add skype to all the blackberries instead of just verizons'.

plus touch phones are for overgrown children, can't stand having to constantly retype things because i hit the wrong spot on the screen (definitely dont have sausage fingers either)
Old Apr 29, 11, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by ttjoseph View Post
Barring lock-in to BBM, I can't see why the average consumer would want a BlackBerry. Everything but email is slow and terrible on a BlackBerry. I ditched my old Bold 9000 for an Android phone and greatly prefer Android.
I have to say that as a consumer it wasn't just the cost for me although that was a major part of it. I use the Blackberry for just BBM, Email and the very odd bit of internet surfing, I have a different (non smart) phone for calls and a ZTE one on Three mobile for free Skype, Facebook and Twitter.
One thing I have noticed is the people I know who have Berries though work hate them and those that don't love them. As I understand it from friends the browsing is much better on OS 6 (although I don't have that yet) and I know the whole thing runs much faster and smoother because I've had a play with it. Sadly the phone I was using as a test hadn't got the sim card enabled and so I couldn't try out the browser.

QNX runs nuclear power stations so I would assume they will get it together soonish. It was very un RIM like (if you ignore the Storm) to release a piece of kit early because of another manufacturers product i.e. the iPad 2. I think they should have waited a bit longer and ironed out all the bugs, but I guess it was market pressures that dictated it.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 29, 11 at 5:12 am
Old Apr 29, 11, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
QNX runs nuclear power stations so I would assume they will get it together soonish. It was very un RIM like (if you ignore the Storm) to release a piece of kit early because of another manufacturers product i.e. the iPad 2.
The Berry web browsing experience is awful, but all the press I've seen says it will take "years" for the PlayBook-QNX OS to percolate down to the handhelds, and there will be at least one more intermediate generation BlackBerry in the meantime.
Old Apr 29, 11, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Android's dirty little secret is that it's not very good at email. Setting up POP3 or Exchange accounts is a nightmare, and the minimum headway for pushes is every 15 minutes. Understandably they are trying to wean everyone over to Gmail, but Gmail doesn't work that well either. Push shuts down without explanation and you have to refresh your Gmail queue manually, making it basically useless.

I got talked into dropping my BlackBerry and switching to a Droid Global by my smart teen son. I regret it.
Are you sure about that? Both my Android devices do true push exchange, and configuring it was as easy as letting it do a discovery off the server. Took 10 seconds. Exchange email arrives on my Xoom and Thunderbolt before it hits my desktop. NEVER had a problem with push Gmail, and never had to refresh my queue. Are you sure you didn't pick up a buggy phone?
Old Apr 29, 11, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa View Post
BB Messenger usage is also interesting. Many of my non-USA folks talk all about it and nearly insist on using it as a text chat system rather than other options. Quite funny actually b/c many of them use gMail and related products (having switched from the oh-so-popular amoungst them -Hotmail-). So they could use Google Talk (the chat program ... not Google Voice) but they don't.
BBM does groups WAY better than any of the other options out there. And it is pretty solid for the other chat bits, too. Better interface and integration that the other chat apps.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: