Search

best bet traveling overseas w/blackberry torch

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO
best bet traveling overseas w/blackberry torch

Hi All,

I am traveling to Chile for 8 days in May. I travel 100% domestic and actually haven't left the usa in nearly 10 years...this is my first international trip since I've had a BB, or any smart phone. when I went to the UK in 2000, i just left my cell phone at home.

On this trip, I'd like to be able to make calls and possibly do limited texting. Of course I'll want to shutoff data to avoid the ridiculous international data fees.

Is my best bet to add the AT&T international plan for Chile for the week I'm gone while also adding their int'l texting plan (i believe it was $9.99 for 50 which is plenty for me for the week) and cut off data?

I can then get email, etc. on the phone when connected to a wifi hotspot. Does this seem like a good idea? Any advice anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
first unlock your phone , its probably free from At+T

I always want a local Sim, even if its in a cheap phone ,
The local Chilean hotel is not going to want to call you in the USA to tell you your room is ready when you are in Chile and it should be a local call,

No idea about the BB service , just wanted to point out the local sim idea.

Rally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.