Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best keyboard for typing

Best keyboard for typing

Old Feb 8, 11, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Best keyboard for typing

Hi All,

I am looking for a new keyboard, I feel my current Dell keyboard is not ergonomically good for my hands. I need to push down too much and as I use the keyboard for many hours everyday, I am getting some pains

I am looking for a replacement keyboard that is easy to type, so far I have looked at Logitech and Microsoft ones, so far I like the Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 the best. Has anyone had experience in using this? I am using a Windows Vista desktop.

I have also considered getting the Apple keyboard, any thoughts?

I dont actually need it to be wireless or need a new mouse, but most new keyboards seem to be bundled this way. But first and foremost is getting the right keyboard, if it comes with mouse that is ok too.

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 11, 12:12 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Completely personal choice, I have a dozen different keyboards (for 7 computers) including the "best" (IBM, Logitech, MS, Apple) and not so good (Dell, generic). Huge difference, so well worth getting one that suits you, but there is no best. Most of the time I prefer my old Logitech wireless (MX500? it isn't labeled), but sometimes like the key feel (bounce) of the IBM better. Those are no longer made, at least not with the same qualities. I've always found the MS keyboards to be too mushy, fwiw.
Old Feb 9, 11, 12:31 am

Das Keyboard makes some amazing products with excellent keyboard action. If you're up for the challenge, choose the "Ultimate" model, which has no labels on the keys. You will type faster with it, in time. I used it for a while but had to switch it out as the machine was being used by others, who couldn't appreciate it...
Old Feb 9, 11, 2:28 am

Programs: Dirt
The best keyboard to manage your carpal tunnel syndrome is a Kinesis keyboard. The contour is pricy but its ergonomics is top notch. I know some serious CTS sufferers who swear by their Kinesis keyboards.

On the typing feel front, my personal favorite is the IBM PC/AT 84-key keyboard. I like the key travel and the positive activation force, which is slightly less than the vaunted Model M that succeeded it. The lack of F11 and F12 keys may be troublesome in some programs. Sadly, it went out of production about 25 years ago.

Unicomp bought the buckling spring keyboard manufacturing right from IBM/Lexmark. They are the only manufacturer of buckling spring mechanical keyboards today. Other mechanical keyboards use Cherry switches.
Old Feb 9, 11, 2:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I couldnt get used to the Kinesis Contour but I found their Freestyle with an Ascent accessory make a vertical keyboard which is sheer awesome. If you file off the small plastic ridges from the bottom of the keyboard (totally functionless once the Ascent is screwed on), it folds flat and can be traveled with easily. Add an Evoluent Verticalmouse for further vertical bliss.
Old Feb 9, 11, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I type a LOT - all day long, 7 days a week, and settled on the Micrsosoft Entertainment Desktop 7000/8000. It's flat keybaord is perfect angled for all day use.

I found the wireless comfort 5000 to be too high - my desktop 7000 is extremely thin, and that seems to be the key to reducing carpal tunnel. The included mouse is also excellent.
Old Feb 9, 11, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boberonicus View Post
Das Keyboard makes some amazing products with excellent keyboard action. If you're up for the challenge, choose the "Ultimate" model, which has no labels on the keys. You will type faster with it, in time. I used it for a while but had to switch it out as the machine was being used by others, who couldn't appreciate it...
I disagree with them. While you don't normally look while you are typing you sometimes hit keys while you're not in normal typing position. Maybe only .1% of the time but it would still be annoying not to have the labels.
Old Feb 9, 11, 11:08 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Really quite challenging to find the "best" keyboard for you without actually going to the store and test driving a bunch of them. It is definitely a matter of personal preference and feel.

However, for me, nothing beats this*:

*and I was lucky enough to have been able to stash 4 of them. But no, I'm not selling.
Old Feb 9, 11, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by alan945 View Post
Hi All,

I am looking for a new keyboard, I feel my current Dell keyboard is not ergonomically good for my hands. I need to push down too much and as I use the keyboard for many hours everyday, I am getting some pains

I am looking for a replacement keyboard that is easy to type, so far I have looked at Logitech and Microsoft ones, so far I like the Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 the best. Has anyone had experience in using this? I am using a Windows Vista desktop.
Full-fledged support for this keyboard. I've been very happy with it.
Old Feb 9, 11, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
I have the MS Desktop 4000 ergo keyboard (wired at work, wireless at home). Love it.
Old Feb 9, 11, 12:57 pm
Original Member

You need this:

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/
Old Feb 9, 11, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
I have the MS Desktop 4000 ergo keyboard (wired at work, wireless at home). Love it.
+1.

This one looks to be a similar but lower price model.
Old Feb 9, 11, 4:31 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
I was given a Cherry by our IT guys back in 2004, and was very impressed by it.

Here's some interesting reading for you:

Overclock.net Mechanical Keyboard guide
Old Feb 9, 11, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My current favorite, $80 at Best Buy, and one less cable on my desk.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/7288
Old Feb 11, 11, 1:49 pm

Something else to consider if it matters. Windows and Mac keyboards are basically the same though some keys are labeled differently e.g. the "windows" key is usually mapped the same as the "command" key on Macs and sometimes the Mac "option" key isn't always labeled alt on Macs. Also, on Mac keyboards you have dedicated eject ^ keys as well as audio volume/mute.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: