FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Why Don't more travelers use remote desktop. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1180840-why-dont-more-travelers-use-remote-desktop.html)

FL2009 Feb 5, 2011 7:27 pm

Why Don't more travelers use remote desktop.

A few years ago after getting sick of the small keyboard and no numerical keypad I got a real desktop computer and my laptop is a dumb computer that just connects via remote desktop to my office computer

If I lose my laptop or have it stolen it's just a hardware loss, no files

A good friend of mine had his laptop stolen on a trip which begged me to ask, if you travel so much why would you keep important files on a laptop that can be stolen?

Anyone else a fellow remote desktopper around here?

cordelli Feb 5, 2011 7:59 pm

Because it can be slow

Because it will only work if you are online, you can lose eight hours of work on a plane if they don't have internet you could be doing stuff

Because some companies don't allow remote access to their desktops

Because many people have enough problems without trying to use remote access

There are other ways to protect your files besides remote access.

ByrdluvsAWACO Feb 5, 2011 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by FL2009 (Post 15810877)
if you travel so much why would you keep important files on a laptop that can be stolen?

Anyone else a fellow remote desktopper around here?

I use it on occasion when I need to do something on my server, but I don't use it as a replacement for my laptop.

If you're that concerned about losing files, then a cloud based backup solution may be better for you.

joejones Feb 5, 2011 10:29 pm

I use Dropbox to store documents and Google Chrome to sync browser plugins/history/bookmarks across the four computers that I regularly use. Works like a charm even when one of them is offline.

Error 601 Feb 6, 2011 1:23 am

We have had a pilot project combined with iPad's, extremely mixed results. We also have some bandwidth problems in a couple locations that make it rather agonizing.

UAVirgin Feb 6, 2011 9:09 am

I use VNC on an iPad within my own home but there can be issues (security and connectivity) when I am not at home so I don't do it off my own private network. The reality is that most people are not always connected and when they are you often encounter networks that block the ports needed to remotely connect to a home computer or network.

SEABrad Feb 6, 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 15811444)
I use Dropbox to store documents and Google Chrome to sync browser plugins/history/bookmarks across the four computers that I regularly use. Works like a charm even when one of them is offline.

Dropbox is great. I had used Windows live before that, but it is no longer functional. I use DB for my 5 computers also, and share files with all 5 other employees in our company.

cblaisd Feb 7, 2011 8:54 pm

I use a combination of the free versions of Logmein, Syncplicity, and Xmarks. Pretty well covers my needs.

godlovesugly Feb 7, 2011 9:43 pm

I just use dropbox and flash drives. I don't know why, but remote desktop feels more like a "security risk."

wco81 Feb 8, 2011 9:06 am

I've been using screen sharing programs for years.

But what I don't get are services like Go To My PC which charge monthly for the service.

Are they offering more than simple screen control?

The various screen-sharing programs on the iPad are among the most expensive.

Some hotel wifi networks are too poor for screen sharing, which is saying something because I used to be able to do it over dialup.

gfunkdave Feb 8, 2011 9:15 am

Originally Posted by godlovesugly (Post 15823173)
I just use dropbox and flash drives. I don't know why, but remote desktop feels more like a "security risk."

I tend to agree with this assessment...I figure it's safe enough if you disable/rename the local administrator account and have a good strong password. But I just feel better with public key SSH.

cordelli Feb 8, 2011 9:34 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 15825543)
But what I don't get are services like Go To My PC which charge monthly for the service.

Are they offering more than simple screen control?

Back in the day they offered significant advantages over the free versions, things like FTP, more screen resolutions to pick from, remote printing, the ability to run under any user and not just the administrator, things like that.

When I first started using remote access, Go to my PC was significantly different than things like logmein that one was usable and worth it to pay for, the other was really not worth the effort of trying to get it to work.

Another huge advantage to things like gotomypc is if it's in corporate environment is you can get site licenses, track use, etc.

That was then, this is now, and things like the Microsoft Mesh product do pretty much everything I need for free.

piper28 Feb 8, 2011 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by godlovesugly (Post 15823173)

While I don't necessarily disagree with that last part, I do find it a little ironic, given that with dropbox you've now allowed some company to have access to your files, and you never really know exactly what they might do with it.

I'm just not quite trusting enough of dropbox to use it for anything I'd consider sensitive.

whitearrow Feb 8, 2011 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by piper28 (Post 15827398)
I'm just not quite trusting enough of dropbox to use it for anything I'd consider sensitive.

You could always put your file in a zip or even a TrueCrypt container with a good strong password. Not unbreakable, but pretty secure.

TravelerMSY Feb 8, 2011 5:26 pm

Terrible performance over high-latency 3G or hotel internet.