Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why Don't more travelers use remote desktop.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Don't more travelers use remote desktop.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by piper28
While I don't necessarily disagree with that last part, I do find it a little ironic, given that with dropbox you've now allowed some company to have access to your files, and you never really know exactly what they might do with it.

I'm just not quite trusting enough of dropbox to use it for anything I'd consider sensitive.
I archive and password protect anything "sensitive" I put in Dropbox, and usually avoid it altogether with flash drives. I agree with you about not trusting dropbox for important/sensitive files.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
I archive and password protect anything "sensitive" I put in Dropbox, and usually avoid it altogether with flash drives. I agree with you about not trusting dropbox for important/sensitive files.
Realize that the standard encryption you get with Windows zip files is a joke. Far better to use 7-zip's encryption, which uses AES-256. 7-zip is freeware.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL NWA UA
Originally Posted by UAVirgin
I use VNC on an iPad within my own home but there can be issues (security and connectivity) when I am not at home so I don't do it off my own private network. The reality is that most people are not always connected and when they are you often encounter networks that block the ports needed to remotely connect to a home computer or network.

I used to use VNC but I always had little quirks with it. I just use the remote desktop client now.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Works for me

Originally Posted by FL2009
A few years ago after getting sick of the small keyboard and no numerical keypad I got a real desktop computer and my laptop is a dumb computer that just connects via remote desktop to my office computer

If I lose my laptop or have it stolen it's just a hardware loss, no files

A good friend of mine had his laptop stolen on a trip which begged me to ask, if you travel so much why would you keep important files on a laptop that can be stolen?

Anyone else a fellow remote desktopper around here?
I sure use it all the time - right now from my iMac at home and from a MacBook Air on the road. MS has a great free download for Snow Leopard. I have an iPad and iPhone and in emergency can access from those as well but have not had to since i got a new MacBook Air. No problems to speak of for several years except occasionally when using some overloaded free airport WiFi systems (like MSY). Works good enough with GoGo in the air and usually great with Hampton Inn or better hotel connections and with the Delta SkyClub (T-Mobile) WiFi connections. It makes life simple and is indispensible for me.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since I'm in the industry, I can say that most corporate travelers *should* be using virtual/remote desktops when traveling abroad. *Every* corporation that gives even the slightest care about security and protecting intellectual property should be using this technology.

Virtual desktops are evolving - yesterday you needed to be tethered to the network to get access. Today we have virtual desktops that can be run while off the network, maintain complete security from the host device disk and sync with the data center when back on the network.

Customs or whatever espionage group wanted to steal information from such an employee laptop would have an impossible time.

It still amazes me that western companies are sending employees to China (and France, for that matter) with IP right on their local hard disk, just begging to be stolen.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:26 pm

Couple of points:

1. Using a desktop and a laptop is just an extra piece of complexity that I don't need in my life.

2. If the Chinese or French really want to steal your data, they'll find a way to do it. Best security in the world is never secure if someone truly wants to break in.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL NWA UA
people are so lax

I had a vendor give me a USB stick with a file

I downloaded an undelete program and viola there was his proposal to my competitor!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Dropbox

Originally Posted by joejones
I use Dropbox to store documents and Google Chrome to sync browser plugins/history/bookmarks across the four computers that I regularly use. Works like a charm even when one of them is offline.

Dropbox is fabulous---I use 5 different computers and my files are always perfectly synced.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Since I'm in the industry, I can say that most corporate travelers *should* be using virtual/remote desktops when traveling abroad. *Every* corporation that gives even the slightest care about security and protecting intellectual property should be using this technology.

Virtual desktops are evolving - yesterday you needed to be tethered to the network to get access. Today we have virtual desktops that can be run while off the network, maintain complete security from the host device disk and sync with the data center when back on the network.

Customs or whatever espionage group wanted to steal information from such an employee laptop would have an impossible time.

It still amazes me that western companies are sending employees to China (and France, for that matter) with IP right on their local hard disk, just begging to be stolen.
Vendors? Solutions? just curious...
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chichow
Vendors? Solutions? just curious...
Citrix is the tech and solution leader in the virtual desktop market. VMWare also sells a virtual desktop product, but with far limited functionality.

Individuals can use GoToMyPC (simple, secure) or VNC (tech-savvy users) to connect their "empty" traveling laptop with a device at home that contains their files or critical data.

Another option is keeping sensitive data in a Cloud folder, like Dropbox or Amazon - but then you're relying on a third party to protect the security of your information.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Timbuktu works well for basic screen control.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Another option is keeping sensitive data in a Cloud folder, like Dropbox or Amazon - but then you're relying on a third party to protect the security of your information.
You're relying on a third party if you use SSH, VPN, VMWare, Citrix, etc. You're relying on them to ensure that they coded the software with correct implementations of encryption protocols. You're relying on them not to eavesdrop on your systems, or leave backdoors for access.

It's probably a smaller risk than Dropbox or Amazon, but not by much. And if you want to be truly paranoid, you can always encrypt files before uploading them to Dropbox or Amazon.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You're relying on a third party if you use SSH, VPN, VMWare, Citrix, etc. You're relying on them to ensure that they coded the software with correct implementations of encryption protocols. You're relying on them not to eavesdrop on your systems, or leave backdoors for access.
OpenSSH is one of the best-vetted open-source projects in the world, and I compile my own copy of it. IMO it's considerably safer than anything directly managed by a third party, and (once again IMO) somewhat safer than any for-profit software package.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL GM
good points.!

i only use remote desktop when i need to use some softwares on my desktop that i was so lazy to install it on my laptop.
For docs and stuff, i use google docs, and i heard dropbox is good also, but i haven't look into it.

matter of fact, i use google doc for majority of my docs needs. i can use google docs offline also, just whenever i have internet, it will auto update.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: HH <>, B6 mosaic
I have a linux machine at home that I connect to from work, hotels, airports, flights with wifi, etc. I still keep all my important documents on my laptop but it lets me remotely connect to home to download torrents and from usenet. I use SCP to copy files to/from that computer to my laptop.

As far as worrying about losing my laptop and losing my documents, I take a backup once every couple of weeks using an incremental backup tool called backup professional. I store the files on my time capsule at home which can also be reached via my linux machine.

I also use something called free NX to connect to it so I can run applications that require a graphical interface.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.