Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Spain - email/phone - one device?

Old Feb 4, 11, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Is there one simple, small, inexpensive device or service you would reccomend for email and phone service while traveling in Spain? As I don't expect to need this again, renting would be an attractive option for me. Don't need heavy duty email capability, just to be able to send a few short messages now and again. Worst case scenarion, I'd settle for just a phone option, and hope for internet cafes (will be mainly outside of cities).

The expertise of this forum will be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 4, 11, 9:20 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
I had an excellent experience with Yoigo in Spain, but I had an unlocked phone I bought in Australia.

Bought a 20 Euro pre-paid SIM card, it came loaded with 20 Euro credit which lasted me for 40 days in Europe... I was able to use the phone to make calls and send SMS messages in Stockholm, Sweden; Paris, France and Milan, Italy without any crazy roaming fees. No internet usage though.

As for internet there are tons of internet cafes all around Spain that are fairly cheap... something like 1 Euro per hour in many places. Of course the Telefonica internet booths around the airports in Spain absolutely suck, very limited capabilities whether to check your e-mail or to browse the web, and pretty expensive to boot.
Old Feb 5, 11, 6:58 am

Even if you do not need it again, buying a cheap unlocked phone for about $20 and purchasing sim and airtime will probably still be cheaper than renting. I am actually surprised anyone still rents phones these days.
Old Feb 5, 11, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
Even if you do not need it again, buying a cheap unlocked phone for about $20 and purchasing sim and airtime will probably still be cheaper than renting. I am actually surprised anyone still rents phones these days.
It's a matter of hassle vs. cost, and sometimes reducing hassle in more important that saving that last dollar/Euro. I don't want to be running around BCN trying to find the right sim card; we've got a backpacking trip to finalize. My brother rented a phone in France last year: company mailed it to him before he left home and he mailed back when he returned, couldn't have been easier. Unfortunately they don't service Spain.
Old Feb 5, 11, 8:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
FNAC stores in Madrid and Barcelona both sell cheap prepaid phones. I don't remember seeing any with Internet capabilities though. It can't get much easier than that. Www.fnac.es
Old Feb 5, 11, 9:53 am

You can buy an inexpensive Android or Symbian smartphone unlocked for $150 off Amazon, but I suspect that you want to go even cheaper. Look at the Nokia E5, E63, and the Sony Experia X10.

Actually thinking out loud, what about a used unlocked Cingular 8525 Windows Mobile 6 phone. Here is a link for $56:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-8525-Mobil...6924908&sr=8-1

I'm not sure that smartphone rentals are a great value and remember to consider the price of the phone if it is lost or stolen. The pickpockets and luggage thieves in Barcelona (in particular) are world class.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: