Wiki Posts
Search

lenovo g555 won't wake from sleep

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
lenovo g555 won't wake from sleep

Have spent hours with tech support (useless) and searched but can't find and answer. Running win 7 and after computer is asleep only way to restart is a reboot and get error message saying win didn't shut down normally, etc

Have already reset all available power saving options to never (turn off display, turn off hard drive, etc) per tech support. Still doesn't work.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Do you have a specific STOP:0x000000, etc. error message that comes up with the blue screen of death? The error message will suggest either a hardware or software failure.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:26 am
Original Poster

No - I don't actually get the blue screen - after going to sleep the computer simply won't restart unless I push the power button and then I get the "windows did not stop normally.........

Each time it generates a *.dmp file (that can't be read) and two other files that appear to be info about the system.
The online windows "solution" problem reporting doesn't do anything - just says it needs more info
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

This the the error message I can see:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 85036AB0
BCP3: 82D6CAE0
BCP4: 85549008
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
BCC Code 9F indicates a driver failure. Found this excerpt on the www.vistax64.com support forums (I know you're running 7, but still):

Bug Check 0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
The DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bug check has a value of 0x0000009F. This indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

Its possible the driver or your system is not correctly detecting the power states of the device causing it to blue screen when it trys to suspend or shutdown, recommend a BIOS update from your motherboard maker and driver update for your system.

A lot of people have your problem. Google "blue screen error BCC 9F". Basically the wisdom is that one of your devices is outdated and needs a driver update. Some have corrected it with BIOS update as discussed above, some have sent their computers back to the manufacturer. In some cases even a total wipe doesn't solve the issue.

Also, check this out:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1116375.htm

It's a start anyway.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much - but no way to tell which driver is causing the problem? It's really frustrating b/c I JUST bought this about a month ago with win7 installed by them and I would have thought "old" problems wouldn't happen with a new computer
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks so much - but no way to tell which driver is causing the problem? It's really frustrating b/c I JUST bought this about a month ago with win7 installed by them and I would have thought "old" problems wouldn't happen with a new computer
Someone more adept than me might be able to tell which driver is kaput. I'm not a tech expert, just used to running down Win 7 errors. I have a Toshiba Satellite that is a real leaky ship, MSFT software-wise... I get these kernel page errors and mystery OS shutdowns that drive me crazy.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan,KE Morning Calm+ (ST E+),SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Someone more adept than me might be able to tell which driver is kaput. I'm not a tech expert, just used to running down Win 7 errors. I have a Toshiba Satellite that is a real leaky ship, MSFT software-wise... I get these kernel page errors and mystery OS shutdowns that drive me crazy.
Personally, I've had serious problems with sleep since the Pentium IIIM days...I've never had problems with hibernate though.
Anyway, I would start from updating the BIOS, then looking at the video drivers. Otherwise, I would just reinstall Windows...but by then is sleep that big of a deal?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Funny thing is it is the ONE thing I've never had a problem with on any of my (many) laptops. No problem with sleep or hibernate til now.

I'll live w/it if I have to b/c this is a BIG laptop and luckily my traveling netbooks "sleep" with no problem.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 2P
Try backing up all of your data and reformatting the HD. Then, reinstall Windows (the computer should either have a recovery partition or it should have come with recovery CDs). That may fix the problem if some file got corrupted while in use. On top of that, your computer will run like new!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.