Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Nokia phone and free OVI GPS maps how good does it work

Old Jan 28, 11, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)

Hi

Anyone using their Nokia phone as a GPS when traveling overseas ?
as a driving GPS and a walking GPS

How well does it work, does it have voice directions ?
How detailed are the free OVI maps ?

please post what model phone you have and if you would buy that phone again for the GPS.

I am looking for something used and cheap , have looked at the Nokia 5800 and E71 but what others work well ?

This seems like a good way to go when visiting out of the way places and NOT have to buy maps for my Garmin or TomTom.

thanks for your ideas ,

Rally

Last edited by rally; Jan 28, 11 at 5:07 pm
Old Jan 29, 11, 9:05 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I can't speak to the phones you are looking at but my wife has a Nokia Nuron and the GPS is excellent. Great maps, once maps are downloaded doesn't require a data connect, and has voice directions.
Old Jan 29, 11, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Hi

thanks for the reply,

were you using it in the USA or ????

not sure if it really matters, just wondering how good the maps are when you get away from the USA or Europe.

Rally
Old Jan 30, 11, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
I have a Nokia E71 with Ovi Maps, which I've used in the USA, Australia, Canada and Denmark.

Overall it works well, although if you turn off Assisted-GPS (to save on data costs) then the GPS is weak and takes a long time to get a signal. With A-GPS on it works great, and the data usage is low - but it's not zero.

Compared to a stand-alone GPS it's definitely short on features and a little cumbersome to use, but the directions are normally good, the spoken text (including street names) is easy to understand, and gets me to where I need to go at least as well as my real car GPS unit.

And of course the price is right - free, including the maps!
Old Jan 30, 11, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Last year I moved from iPhone 3GS to 4 (antenna-gate), to Nokia C5 and in December to ZTE Blade running Android. Between the iPhone 4 and "future phone" I didn't want to spend too much so it was competition between Nokia's C5 and 5230, both available around 95 euros at the time.

I tested the 5230 and it was just too slow for Ovi Maps. I got the C5 and it was a great choice; it's a great basic phone, one can do some basic internet stuff with it and the Ovi Maps is superb for it's price. I usually don't need voice guidance so I can't comment about that.

Now that I'm beyond the C5, I still keep the phone due Ovi Maps. I need navigation in random places and I don't want to pay huge amount of money for the global maps. It does the basics well enough.

It's not comparable to your TomTom or Navigon but for the price (<100 eur) it's pretty good and it doesn't require mobile network, which is a great thing due the excessive mobile roaming charges.

With Ovi Maps the biggest issue is the CPU performance of the phone. I think that's more important than the size of the screen in this case. You can check forum.nokia.com for the actual specs of various models.
Old Jan 30, 11, 7:17 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I used ovi maps only in the USA. Have to agree with other posters. The maps work fine but can be cumbefsome to use in comparison to google maps. The cpu is underpowered on the nuron (5230) but at $99 us, it works.
Old Jan 31, 11, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
I've used it in the US and Sweden. If you don't use A-GPS, then it does take a while to get a signal; however, once it does, it's rock solid. Navigation is also pretty good.

There is also a whole array of lanugages you can choose from--even most now have text-to-speech. However, I was hoping there would be voices like "French female speaking English"--it would make driving more enjoyable.
Old Jan 31, 11, 7:17 am

Programs: LH, SQ, CO, AA
The free OVI maps has worked very well for me on my Nokia E71 quad band unlocked phone. I used it recently on a trip from the US to Europe and Asia. I recently upgraded the phone to a 16 gb memory card (works great even though it is only supposed to support 8 gb - that was all that was available when the phone was initially released) so that I could load all of the world maps. The only weakness that I found was the Japanese maps.

The maps are free 'forever' as well as the updates for turn by turn voice driving directions in your choice of language. Also, they have many city walking maps. All of this without any cell phone contract or data plan! For me, the E71 GPS receiver has always been able to lock onto a signal even when my Garmin could not - traveled with both until I got confidence in the Nokia.

I was able to make VOIP calls all over the world using the preloaded SIP pack and Gizmo5/Google Voice. It worked beautifully over WiFi. This phone has enabled me to travel light as I no longer take along separates - GPS, laptop - the E71 does it all (including surf the net, emails, Quick Office documents, etc.) for me. Currently, the Nokia E71 is available for well under $200 from various sources over the internet.

Regards, Bill
Old Jan 31, 11, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maps and routing are excellent. Nokia owns Navteq, and Navteq makes the best maps on the market, so they do know a thing or two about navigation
Old Jan 31, 11, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, GF Gold, SPG Plat, LCAH Plat
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
There is also a whole array of lanugages you can choose from--even most now have text-to-speech. However, I was hoping there would be voices like "French female speaking English"--it would make driving more enjoyable.
You can make your own voice packs. So all you need is a French female now...

http://ownvoice.comms.ovi.com/ovi/
Old Jan 31, 11, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Hi

thanks for all the ideas,

What makes one model Nokia work better than another when it comes to GPS,

is it the phones processor speed or the GPS chip and how do I compare older models ?

My friend across the street works for AT+T wireless and is bringing me a FREE Nokia phone (6350 I think ) , it has GPS but is the low end Nokia that AT+T sold or upgraded people to a couple years ago.

Its free so I can play with it, but if a E71 or a 5800 is many times better maybe its worth spending the $100 on a used one

what do you think ?

Rally
Old Feb 1, 11, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
I have a Nokia E71 with Ovi Maps, which I've used in the USA, Australia, Canada and Denmark.

Overall it works well, although if you turn off Assisted-GPS (to save on data costs) then the GPS is weak and takes a long time to get a signal. With A-GPS on it works great, and the data usage is low - but it's not zero.

Compared to a stand-alone GPS it's definitely short on features and a little cumbersome to use, but the directions are normally good, the spoken text (including street names) is easy to understand, and gets me to where I need to go at least as well as my real car GPS unit.

And of course the price is right - free, including the maps!
Mirrors my experience almost exactly. Used this same setup in South Africa and a few countries in Europe. Best to just get a large memory card and load all the maps (I forgot to load part of the French map and was driving through a blank screen for a while). Menus are a bit awkward on the E71, but you get used to. Really a good solution for international navigation.
Old Feb 1, 11, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by ojala View Post
Last year I moved from iPhone 3GS to 4 (antenna-gate), to Nokia C5 and in December to ZTE Blade running Android. Between the iPhone 4 and "future phone" I didn't want to spend too much so it was competition between Nokia's C5 and 5230, both available around 95 euros at the time.

I tested the 5230 and it was just too slow for Ovi Maps. I got the C5 and it was a great choice; it's a great basic phone, one can do some basic internet stuff with it and the Ovi Maps is superb for it's price. I usually don't need voice guidance so I can't comment about that.

Now that I'm beyond the C5, I still keep the phone due Ovi Maps. I need navigation in random places and I don't want to pay huge amount of money for the global maps. It does the basics well enough.

It's not comparable to your TomTom or Navigon but for the price (<100 eur) it's pretty good and it doesn't require mobile network, which is a great thing due the excessive mobile roaming charges.

With Ovi Maps the biggest issue is the CPU performance of the phone. I think that's more important than the size of the screen in this case. You can check forum.nokia.com for the actual specs of various models.
How was the ZTE?

I heard it was a decent OEM model for Vodaphone and it was only 99 Euro. With Google Navigation, I wonder how it compared.

I was thinking about the N8 but it's around the price of some nicer Androids. Has a smaller screen though, which for navigation might not be the best.

I thought Nokia bought TeleAtlas, not Navteq. Or was it TomTom which bought TeleAtlas?

Not sure Navteq had the best maps for Europe though, at least when I had a Garmin Nuvi.
Old Feb 1, 11, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, GF Gold, SPG Plat, LCAH Plat
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I was thinking about the N8 but it's around the price of some nicer Androids. Has a smaller screen though, which for navigation might not be the best.
For me (underlined, bold type) the N8 blew away anything Androidy I could have got, and at a lower price too. I like the navigation on it, but where I am right now (Vietnam) I'm yet to find a decent navigation solution.

It's worth noting the newest version of Ovi Maps only works on the latest touch screen phones. The older version e.g. on the E71 still does the job though.

I thought Nokia bought TeleAtlas, not Navteq. Or was it TomTom which bought TeleAtlas?
Nokia bought Navteq for $8.1Bn.

http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1157198
Old Feb 1, 11, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or was it TomTom which bought TeleAtlas?
Yes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: