Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Voice now supported on OBi110

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by transpac
Are there any other VoIP ATA's which support Google Voice?
Google Voice (actually Google Chat) uses a different protocol, XMPP. So ATA support is still limited at the time.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Which SIP provider other then Google Voice is a good choice? Are they reliable?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Check out Simon Telephonics' Google Voice Gateway (http://simonics.com/gvgw); I've been using it for a few months and it works very well. You do have to provide your GV credentials, and in return you get standard SIP credentials to use with any ATA (or other system) of your choice.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:04 am

Is the Obi202 also compatible with this configuration? Is there any advantage to it over the 110? Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by riteshraja
I assume you mean someone who will give you a local number and not an internet-only service?

I'm happy with voip.ms and I've been using them for a year now. Very reliable for me but my call volume is very low. They are based in Canada but have servers across the US, Canada and even a pop in the UK.

I have my obi110 configured to use them for the primary line, Google voice as the secondary line.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by riteshraja
I'll second Camarones' post - I too use VoIP.ms as my primary provider and am very satisfied with the cost and features. CallCentric is another reliable BYOD (bring-your-own-device) provider. Both work great with an OBI ATA.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, predictions re: Google Voice remaining a free service? It seems like they wait until more towards the end of the year to announce extensions of the free service. If they go to a paid service any ideas on the potential annual fee?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by robroy90
Is the Obi202 also compatible with this configuration? Is there any advantage to it over the 110? Thanks!
Which configuration are you referring to?
The using a 3rd party as a GV gateway to get it to a SIP acct or ???
That configuration would work on any device.

The 202 has 2-Phone Ports, Router & USB
The router acts as a QoS for the device so it maintains decent call quality even when the 'kids' are downloading 4gb of movies/music :P
The USB allows a dongle to be used to make it wireless.

Google Voice Support for Up to Four (4) Google Accounts
SIP Service Provider Support for Up to Four (4) SIP Accounts
Any Available Service Can be Accessed from Each Phone Port Independently
Aggregation / Bridging of Four (4) SIP and/or Google Voice Services and One (1) OBiTALK Service

The 110 has 1-Phone Port, 1-PSTN/POTS Port
Google Voice Support for Up to Two (2) Google Accounts
SIP Service Provider Support for Up to Two (2) SIP Accounts
Any Available Service Can be Accessed from the Phone Port Independently
Aggregation / Bridging of two (2) SIP and/or Google Voice Services and One (1) OBiTALK Service

SO, IF a POTS or PSTN connection is needed your only choice is the 110
other wise a 100 or 202 would work depending on the complexity of your set up.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, predictions re: Google Voice remaining a free service? It seems like they wait until more towards the end of the year to announce extensions of the free service. If they go to a paid service any ideas on the potential annual fee?
What Google intends to do in the future is well guarded, but as long as they are making $ on a product I don't seem them cutting it loose(canceling it) and it seems they aren't overly greedy so I'd imagine it stays free for awhile longer.

IF they go with a paid model I'd imagine they'd go with a few 'levels' of pricing similar to below.
  • Free with the caller or receiver listening to a 10-15 second ad BEFORE the call is completed.
  • xx cents a minute billed to a pre-paid acct.
  • xx dollars a month for all you can use

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.