Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

A GSM phone with all the bells and whistles

Old Jan 26, 11, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt

Can anyone give me any idea whether all of the following features can be found in a single GSM phone?

Large touchscreen display
GSM unlockable (eliminates iPhone)
Wi-fi hotspot
HD video (720p)
Easy sync to a Mac
Good music player
Lots of storage or a micro SD slot
Great image quality pics (can replace my pocket camera)

I'm open to platform, but my initial reading indicates Android is the early favorite, simply because there are many large touchscreen devices, and the Google Nexus S has the hotspot feature, which I consider a must have (plan to use it to get a wifi-only iPad online), like the large screen and GSM. I could also consider Blackberry or Symbian (3). All would be new to me, as I have had a Nokia E71 in recent years.

I also think all decent phones these days have pretty good GPS and email functionality, so those are needed, too. The others are "nice to have" but I want to get a phone that meets all these criteria because I'd love to have just one device, instead of a phone, a camera, a videocam, an iPod, etc.

I may end up with the Google Nexus S, but it lacks HD video, and I don't know what the image quality is like. Any ideas would be helpful . . .
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
As a fellow E71 owner since '08, I'd urge you to take a close look at the Nokia N8 - it will be my next phone (especially with that 12mb still camera):

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-product...8-alt/features

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Touchscr...6076076&sr=8-1
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
As a fellow E71 owner since '08, I'd urge you to take a close look at the Nokia N8 - it will be my next phone (especially with that 12mb still camera):

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-product...8-alt/features

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Touchscr...6076076&sr=8-1
I was just on the Nokia site, and it appears to be the best Symbian 3 device on the market. I don't mind paying over $400 for a great device, but I was also N8's Amazon page, and I didn't see it had a hotspot feature (allow me to connect an iPad). Do you know if it does? I didn't read all the fine print.
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I don't know if the N8 offers native support (wholly within Symbian O.3), but it apparently can do so with the Premium Joiku Spot app (available directly or through the Ovi store):

http://www.joikushop.com/index.php?a...roduct_id=1115

http://nokiafanboy.com/2010/10/30/tu...ing-joikuspot/
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I don't think any phone can display 720p.

I have both an Android (HTC Legend) and BB Bold 2.

I would vote for the Android just due to the open source OS and no need for nasty jailbreaks. However, no idea how well it syncs to Macs.

I wouldn't recommend the BB as they're really intended as work horses and doesn't do the other media things as well.
Old Jan 26, 11, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Ah, so an app can make it happen . . . that's pretty slick. Score one for N8--I'll definitely be taking a closer look at this, though the Nexus S has got my curiosity. Too bad the E7 isn't out yet.
Old Jan 26, 11, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
I don't think any phone can display 720p.

I have both an Android (HTC Legend) and BB Bold 2.

I would vote for the Android just due to the open source OS and no need for nasty jailbreaks. However, no idea how well it syncs to Macs.

I wouldn't recommend the BB as they're really intended as work horses and doesn't do the other media things as well.
I just intend 720p video for recording. Does the Legend or BB Bold 2 have a hotspot feature?
Old Jan 26, 11, 3:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Note that the N8 has unparalleled support for HSDPA worldwide: UMTS bands I/II/IV/V/VIII.
Old Jan 26, 11, 3:44 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
import an unlocked 32gb from another country.
Old Jan 26, 11, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DullesJason View Post
Can anyone give me any idea whether all of the following features can be found in a single GSM phone?

Large touchscreen display
Wi-fi hotspot
HD video (720p)
Easy sync to a Mac
Good music player
Great image quality pics (can replace my pocket camera)

I'm open to platform, but my initial reading indicates Android is the early favorite, simply because there are many large touchscreen devices, and the Google Nexus S has the hotspot feature, which I consider a must have (plan to use it to get a wifi-only iPad online), like the large screen and GSM. I could also consider Blackberry or Symbian (3). All would be new to me, as I have had a Nokia E71 in recent years.

I also think all decent phones these days have pretty good GPS and email functionality, so those are needed, too. The others are "nice to have" but I want to get a phone that meets all these criteria because I'd love to have just one device, instead of a phone, a camera, a videocam, an iPod, etc.

I may end up with the Google Nexus S, but it lacks HD video, and I don't know what the image quality is like. Any ideas would be helpful . . .
If you want 720 HD video, then you have to look at the MyTouch4G. It is an Android phone (currently 2.2 Froyo) which also has WiFi calling, useful if you travel abroad occasionally and want to avoid roaming fees. It is similar to the Nexus S, but without NFC.
Old Jan 26, 11, 8:33 pm

Easy sync to a Mac
Good music player
Unlock iPhones can be purchased in many countries, without a contract...it's just cost slightly more.

Nexus One via craigslist can be had in my area for $300 or less, depending on condition [and some patience].
Old Jan 26, 11, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I just intend 720p video for recording. Does the Legend or BB Bold 2 have a hotspot feature?
No idea on the HTC. Definitely not for the BB.

Last edited by Braindrain; Jan 26, 11 at 9:53 pm
Old Jan 26, 11, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
What about the Google G2, which is and Android phone made by HTC and sold in the US by T-Mobile (therefore GSM)? I think it meets your requirements, although I haven't looked at the music player (my teenage daughter uses it to play music). Can have up to 32 GB on an SD card. Has 720P video, 3.7" touchscreen display. I think it can be purchases unlocked. Fabulous physical keyboard. Has wifi.
Old Jan 26, 11, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding the video, keeo in mind that the N8's HDMI-out port will allow you to attach the phone to a HDTV immediately after shooting the video.
Old Jan 27, 11, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm View Post
Unlock iPhones can be purchased in many countries, without a contract...it's just cost slightly more.

Nexus One via craigslist can be had in my area for $300 or less, depending on condition [and some patience].
Slightly? I thought overseas iPhones were $1000, maybe down to $700. I don't need an unlocked phone out of the gate, and I don't mind a US contract, but I want it to be unlockable for overseas travel. Thanks for your suggestions, btw.

Regarding the video, keeo in mind that the N8's HDMI-out port will allow you to attach the phone to a HDTV immediately after shooting the video.
I want to love the Nokia N8, and I'm still considering them, but the reviews are pretty blistering in terms of UI. The apps are very limited, too, but I don't see being a big app person, and I do like that the N8 is very functional, which matters. How much better is it than the X6 or C6, both of which re much less expensive but seem to have similar features/functionality?

What about the Google G2, which is and Android phone made by HTC and sold in the US by T-Mobile (therefore GSM)? I think it meets your requirements, although I haven't looked at the music player (my teenage daughter uses it to play music). Can have up to 32 GB on an SD card. Has 720P video, 3.7" touchscreen display. I think it can be purchases unlocked. Fabulous physical keyboard. Has wifi.
Agreed, this is a strong candidate. Unmolested Android (though mytouch 4G modifications seem to be well received by bloggers/reviewers). Only thing is I have to try the keyboard to see if I can get used to it and it's thicker than I like a phone to be normally. But yes, it seems to have the specs I desire, so . . .

If you want 720 HD video, then you have to look at the MyTouch4G. It is an Android phone (currently 2.2 Froyo) which also has WiFi calling, useful if you travel abroad occasionally and want to avoid roaming fees. It is similar to the Nexus S, but without NFC.
Yes, I'm reading up on this one, too. It also has the hotspot feature I want, but BGR reports it starts to fail after 20-30 mins, requiring a reboot. Other than that, seems like a good phone.

Last edited by DullesJason; Jan 27, 11 at 4:29 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: