FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   iPod Touch, 8 BG or 32 GB? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1175570-ipod-touch-8-bg-32-gb.html)

Daniella Jan 23, 11 3:41 am

iPod Touch, 8 BG or 32 GB?

I am not sure what version to buy, the 8GB for $229 or the 32BG for $299. While I am leaning towards the last one, since it will contain around the following:

- Around 5 GB of music
- Around 40 application ( how much that might be )
- Around 20 Photos

What version to buy?

Thanks.

LIH Prem Jan 23, 11 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Daniella (Post 15715637)
What version to buy?

The biggest one you can afford.

-David

MAN Pax Jan 23, 11 5:42 am

Disagree - Whilst it may be nice to have your entire collection of music with you at all times, I find I only play a limited selection. Check the play counts in itunes to check......

The prices that Apple charge for increased storage on an ipod/iphone are usurious - and I refuse to give them any more cash than is really required.

FN-GM Jan 23, 11 5:50 am

I would get the bigger one. It's not that much extra. You never know you might need it. I would feature proof yourself

stueys Jan 23, 11 7:06 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 15715647)

-David

Agreed, you can't add space later

KIXman Jan 23, 11 7:18 am

If you plan to put movies on it too then the 32GB size may be the way to go.

GadgetFreak Jan 23, 11 8:35 am

Originally Posted by KIXman (Post 15716117)
If you plan to put movies on it too then the 32GB size may be the way to go.

Very good point. With the 8 gb it will be really tough to get movies on if you decide you want to do that. The 32 gb will give you room to grow with new uses. For instance, I have some sound meditation things tracks that I cant put on my phone (or at least many of them) because to get the effect I ripped them in a lossless format and they are huge. I can only get the whole set on my 60 gb iPod unless I dont have room for anything else. I agree with the assessment to get as much storage as you can afford.

Rampo Jan 23, 11 9:30 am

If you are anything like me, you may find yourself using the Touch a lot more than you think you will. I recently upgraded from a 16GB 3rd gen to a 32GB 4th gen, having found that even with almost no videos but a lot of music, a couple of audiobooks and many podcasts I was bumping up near the 16GB storage limit. And if you take advantage of the 4th gen's ability to take videos and photos, the 8GB could be eaten up fairly quickly. $70 for an additional 24GB of memory is not a bad deal at all.

gfunkdave Jan 23, 11 5:46 pm

Always better to have too much space than not enough. Get the 32GB.

Doc Savage Jan 23, 11 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Daniella (Post 15715637)
I am not sure what version to buy, the 8GB for $229 or the 32BG for $299. While I am leaning towards the last one, since it will contain around the following:

- Around 5 GB of music
- Around 40 application ( how much that might be )
- Around 20 Photos

What version to buy?

Thanks.

Check Radio Shack local stores, I saw they had their iPod Touches on sale there over the weekend at a good savings.

For the relatively minimal extra outlay, I went with the 32gb so could store movies without worry.

Doc

CPRich Jan 24, 11 12:17 pm

My 11-yr old just faced the same dilemma and even she ended up with the 32GB model - and spending her own money.

Rampo Jan 25, 11 8:59 am

Today only sellout.woot.com is offering a refurbished 32g Touch 4 for $239.99 + $5 shipping.

TravisJ Jan 25, 11 12:01 pm

I use to have an old 16GB touch. I couldn't hold all my music plus a movie or two (and I like to just put my music on "shuffle" while I'm on a plane unless I'm in a specific mood for something). So when I upgraded to the 4th gen, I got the 32GB. Couldn't have made a better decision. I'm able to put a good amount of movies on it, as well as all my music + apps.

If you can afford it, buy the 32GB. Because there will come a time that you'll reach the max memory on the 16GB and kick yourself for not getting the bigger one.

alanR Jan 25, 11 1:44 pm

Get the biggest you can afford - storage can't be added and even if you only have a few tunes on now, who knows what you'll have on it when you go on holiday - plus ebooks, podcasts, videos...

planemechanic Jan 25, 11 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 15715647)

-David

You can never have too much memory, but you can have too little. Always go with the largest amount of memory you can afford.

Funny that one of the complaints about the iPad was the inability to add memory through an SD card.