Reload this Page >

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:33 pm

I thought people who continued to pay the full freight were grandfathered.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: British Air silver, Starwood Platimum, Amex Platinum
I called Blackberry support. 1 800 800 ???? I go this weekend. April 2. I am skeptical and will call to confirm.

IOW, if this program is in effect, Verizon is substantially better than AT&T for international data. And for Verizon, the Blackberry Storm is the only phone that works. BTW the Storm 2 is a better phone, but hardly a great phone.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by sjordan93436
I called Blackberry support. 1 800 800 ???? I go this weekend. April 2. I am skeptical and will call to confirm.

IOW, if this program is in effect, Verizon is substantially better than AT&T for international data. And for Verizon, the Blackberry Storm is the only phone that works. BTW the Storm 2 is a better phone, but hardly a great phone.
The Storm is the only phone that works for what?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:05 am

Oops. I am a little behind the time. I shopped late last year and the Storm was the only quad band. The newer Droid 2 and Droid pro are supposedly global. Is the technology different? I dunno.

You do have to be careful. I bought a "world phone" blackberry two years ago. But the world did not include Argentina or Chile (among other countries). Grrrs...

As of today, the Storm is the only quadband. There are some listed as ready in 205 countries. YMMV
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

As of today, the Storm is the only quadband. There are some listed as ready in 205 countries. YMMV

My 1st gen Tour is quad-band as well.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:54 am

Oops. I am a little behind the time. I shopped late last year and the Storm was the only quad band. The newer Droid 2 and Droid pro are supposedly global. Is the technology different? I dunno.

You do have to be careful. I bought a "world phone" blackberry two years ago. But the world did not include Argentina or Chile (among other countries). Grrrs...

Originally Posted by sbm12

My 1st gen Tour is quad-band as well.
So is the Bold 9650. I thought it might have meant the plan could only be added to the Storm. I used my 9650 a lot when traveling out of the country. Now I only use it with WiFi since they dont have the plan anymore. Or at least it seems as if they dont have it.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:49 am

I called 800 922 0204- blackberry support. I was quoted 65 a month unlimited data, and I could prorate a week. This is a small business.

??
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I called 800 922 0204- blackberry support. I was quoted 65 a month unlimited data, and I could prorate a week. This is a small business.

??
If they are offering it, esp on and off, that's pretty good and it may be back. I'm doing the intl plan perm.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:36 pm

My Uncle was able to addon the Global Email plan to his account while he travels abroad.

However, his account is through his medical practice (a small business) and thus may still be allowed, that I am unclear about.

Dan
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
Originally Posted by dan1431
My Uncle was able to addon the Global Email plan to his account while he travels abroad.

However, his account is through his medical practice (a small business) and thus may still be allowed, that I am unclear about.

Dan
Yes, Business accounts are still eligible for the unlimited BB plan, however there are many cell phone rental companies still offering them like http://www.cellomobile.com/EmailDevice.aspx

Happy Travels!
Old May 25, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Had an interesting call from Verizon this week encouraging me to switch off my GlobalData plan to an unpublished but less satisfactory plan. Anyone else get one of these calls? They clearly are keen to pare people off these plans which I'm sure are money losing for them.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:43 pm

These plans were conceived of when the devices consumed considerably less data than they currently do.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:45 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.71 Safari/534.24)

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
These plans were conceived of when the devices consumed considerably less data than they currently do.
Yes.. I just got the 25 mb plan for a short trip to Europe. I also got the unlock code and unlocked the thing. I probably shouldnt have done the plan but I may want to use it. I am really backed up with email at the moment.
Old May 26, 2011, 6:05 pm

Received this email from Verizon... not surprised.

Your global data service plan will end when your contract expires. Please take action now.
Dear Verizon Wireless Customer,
Your current global data service plan will no longer be available when your contract expires or when you renew your contract, whichever comes first. You will need to convert to an available global data service plan before your contract expires in order to maintain global data capabilities.
Let's discuss your global options.
Call us at 888.370.9515 to discuss special offers available for a limited time.
If you do not contact us to discuss your options and move to a new global data plan, your current global data plan - which includes unlimited domestic data - will be replaced by our $29.99/month unlimited domestic data package.
Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. We realize how important it is to have wireless data services while traveling overseas and we are committed to finding the right solution for you.
Sincerely,
Verizon Wireless
Old May 26, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; pcdadr6350 Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by tlott
Received this email from Verizon... not surprised.

Your global data service plan will end when your contract expires. Please take action now.
Dear Verizon Wireless Customer,
Your current global data service plan will no longer be available when your contract expires or when you renew your contract, whichever comes first. You will need to convert to an available global data service plan before your contract expires in order to maintain global data capabilities.
Let's discuss your global options.
Call us at 888.370.9515 to discuss special offers available for a limited time.
If you do not contact us to discuss your options and move to a new global data plan, your current global data plan - which includes unlimited domestic data - will be replaced by our $29.99/month unlimited domestic data package.
Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. We realize how important it is to have wireless data services while traveling overseas and we are committed to finding the right solution for you.
Sincerely,
Verizon Wireless
Same as I got. The new special off-list plan is 250mb per month. Plus free tablet. Plus cash credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.