Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by chanp
Just got off the phone VZW they said I can add the $69.99 at anytime, even now. I leave again on Feb 9th, Ill ask again that day.
Are you on any kind of corporate or otherwise special plan?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you on any kind of corporate or otherwise special plan?
I get a corp discount. Not aware of any special plan, unless I'm grandfathered in some way??
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Sprint has gotten rid of theirs as well unless you are a corp client.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

It looks like for Asia it is $20 a MB even with the plan.
Nope. It is $30 + $2/MB or it is $20/MB. (see below)

And when I asked they said it was not valid for corporate plans either.

As for the agents still saying that it can be turned on, so did the second I talked to. I asked him to confirm as I was told it was just changed and he did, confirming that it is dead. He also admitted that too much changes for them daily that they generally do not keep up with things as they should but when he tried to put it in the computer it failed.

I'd be surprised if any agent can make it stick in the system.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 23, 2011 at 11:53 am
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:07 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by sbm12
It looks like for Asia it is $20 a MB even with the plan.
Nope. It is $30 + $2/MB or it is $20/MB.

As for the agents still saying that it can be turned on, so did the second I talked to. I asked him to confirm as I was told it was just changed and he did, confirming that it is dead. He also admitted that too much changes for them daily that they generally do not keep up with things as they should but when he tried to put it in the computer it failed.

Well I certainly read it in multiple places to be $20 a mb in Asia no matter if you have the plan or not. It is $2/mb in Europe if you go over and have the plan but it says with the plan in China for instance it is $20/mb if you go over your allotment and your allotment is zero mb.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jan 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by sbm12
Nope. It is $30 + $2/MB or it is $20/MB.

I'll find out and report in a few weeks.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:36 pm

Glad I switched from AT&T to VZW when I did. After learning that AT&T, Sprint, and TMobile have all removed their unlimited intl plans with only VZW's remaining, I decided to keep the Global Email plan on our Droid Pros permanently after returning from overseas. I hope we are able to stay grandfathered.

Wondering if there will be any issue when contracts come up for renewal. I have heard that VZW has been dropping the "new every 2" phone upgrade plan when contracts are up for renewal, but that isn't really a good comparison with this sort of feature.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:46 pm

Note: Verizon Wireless will terminate your service for good cause if less than half of your voice or data usage over three consecutive billing cycles is on the Verizon Wireless National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area.
This is also extremely frustrating.

I was in Europe for a month in December, and will be in Asia for a month in late February. Cutting it awful close to violating this clause. They should look at a bigger window than 3 consecutive months. I might use intl. data heavily for 2 months out of 3 month window and not again for the next 6 months.

In the future I guess I'll have to carefully calculate my roaming on the calendar to see if I am coming close to violating this policy.

This blows. Though still better than having no unlimited roaming, I suppose.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Really frustrating. Thanks for the heads up. Trying to decide whether to klll VZW entirely now and go on roaming data SIMs for each country.

SBM - did you add on a voice package now in addition to the GlobalEmail package? I'm curious what I'll do next time I return to the States and actually need to use my mobile for voice.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by tlott
This is also extremely frustrating.

I was in Europe for a month in December, and will be in Asia for a month in late February. Cutting it awful close to violating this clause. They should look at a bigger window than 3 consecutive months. I might use intl. data heavily for 2 months out of 3 month window and not again for the next 6 months.

In the future I guess I'll have to carefully calculate my roaming on the calendar to see if I am coming close to violating this policy.

This blows. Though still better than having no unlimited roaming, I suppose.
Sounds like you are better being a network pig before you leave. Drive around town all day with Pandora streaming. Download a few vids before jumping on the plane.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Well I certainly read it in multiple places to be $20 a mb in Asia no matter if you have the plan or not. It is $2/mb in Europe if you go over and have the plan but it says with the plan in China for instance it is $20/mb if you go over your allotment and your allotment is zero mb.
Either they changed the text or I misread it. Either way, it is $20/MB in lots of the world. My bad on the misleading info above.
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
SBM - did you add on a voice package now in addition to the GlobalEmail package? I'm curious what I'll do next time I return to the States and actually need to use my mobile for voice.
I have never added the global voice bit. But I have always had a voice plan active as I actually use it as my primary phone so I need that.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I'm curious what they'll do - I've been on the GlobalEmail only plan w/o any voice. I usually add voice whenever I return to the US so I hope that addition doesn't trigger a plan change to remove GlobalEmail.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Just wanted to thank FT'ers who as usual are way on top of whats going on in the world. I called on Jan 10 to put in 2 separate requests for global data, one on for a weekend in europe jan 14-18 and then again jan 26-feb 9 for australia and new zealand. I called in again a few days ago after reading this this thread and seeing that global unlimited data was no longer available, Verizon had put my request in a queue to review since I had requested the global unlimited data prior to jan 17th and the cutoff. called tonight and after a long discussion, verizon says no exceptions, the "feature" is dead as of jan 17. They are careful to call it a feature since it is not a plan for which they need to notify customers that there is a change. I guess all good things come to an end.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Well since the VZW Global Data Plan is dead. I guess the next thread/question is what is the best alternative for data when roaming.

I suspect there are a bunch of FT'ers who used that program extensively as it was an easy and relatively inexpensive way to stay on top of e-mails, etc. (Heck, my phone system forwarded mp3 files of voice mails to me so I didn't even have to call to check messages). Between e-mail and google maps... it is easy to go through hundreds of megabytes a week.

I think the topic "Best Global Roaming Data Options" would make a great sticky.

Finally, this will probably push me over the edge and I'll look to switch from VZW - if I'm going to have to find SIMS that'll let me do global data, I really want my mainline phone to be GSM. Glad I didn't switch from my DINC to the Droid Pro or Droid 2 just to get hit by VZW pulling the Global Data Plan.

I think they are making a mistake but that's their judgement.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:08 am

Im still cogitating on this a bit. Im not happy about it but I dont think is is that bad for BB users in Europe for instance. It may actually be cheaper than the old plan. Even Asia is probably tolerable for me. It will keep me from touching and Android phone outside of the US though. Sort of ironic since they just introduced some international ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.