Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I called to get an unlock code for my phone. They said they don't do that. I said they had in the past and no response. Then they told me the plans. Im now in airplane mode using WiFi. Instead of the old plan they get nothing.
I got a replacement device that was unlocked. Ill try to get mine unlocked here in the next week or so and let u know what they say. Customer service of VZW is going down hill.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by chanp
I got a replacement device that was unlocked. Ill try to get mine unlocked here in the next week or so and let u know what they say. Customer service of VZW is going down hill.
Thanks. I look forward to hearing how it went.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:56 pm

The combination of my annoyance with VZW and the good news from the justice department makes me wonder about TMobile BBs. Do the still have their unlimited, it 2 gb international plan? If so how much is it?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:49 am

I just wanted to add the link for international data rates that can be found at WWW.VerizonWireless.Com

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Glo..._coverage.html

Keep in mind that you can always monitor your data usage by dialing #DATA & logging into your My Verizon Account.

TH
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Having a long call with verizon now. They're looking 12 months back to try and find a period when I exceeded the three consecutive months rule.

Legally their wording is difficult to understand in the terms. They're arguing that it's the sum of three consecutive months that count for usage. It could also be interpreted that their wording means three consecutive periods where each billing period is individually judged to be 50% or greater overseas.

Frustrating.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles
The fastest way to get it unlocked if you have a compatible model is simply to buy the code from eBay or a online reseller who has reverse engineered it or get it from the supplier.

They ALL have clauses that if it doesn't work you get instant refund.

It's usually about $2-10.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
No unlimited international data anymore on Tmobile.

Yes to unlimited international BB and BBM. Using it right now in the Balkans.

The iBB plan is $19.99 / mo added on to basic BB service and data. I get a lot of envious looks when people realize I have BB service.

Jim

The combination of my annoyance with VZW and the good news from the justice department makes me wonder about TMobile BBs. Do the still have their unlimited, it 2 gb international plan? If so how much is it?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jimquan
No unlimited international data anymore on Tmobile.

Yes to unlimited international BB and BBM. Using it right now in the Balkans.

The iBB plan is $19.99 / mo added on to basic BB service and data. I get a lot of envious looks when people realize I have BB service.

Jim
Sorry, I dont understand exactly what is covered on the international BB plan. Could you explain more? Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Sorry, I dont understand exactly what is covered on the international BB plan. Could you explain more? Thanks.
Email and Blackberry messenger. Only.

I'm looking at the (new) ATT int'l data plan against the number of times I travel and my data use for email & limited other "stuff". For my travel patterns, it may be cheaper to do that & use an iPhone or Android than the BB unlimited email. And allow me to do more to boot.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
The Tmo iBB plan is basically unlimited for the text portion of the message only. No attachments, no embedded graphics or you might wind up paying for data at roaming rates.

Tmo used to be fairly lax about billing data on the iBB plans until they realized they were losing who knows how much. Some people report they didn't get billed for data downloads and some do. At $15 a mb roaming rate you are taking a chance.

BB messenger is unlimited too.

Jim
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:12 pm

If you have a BES account, you can push a lot of stuff through since TMobile is fairly blind about what you are doing.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:15 am

Thanks for all the answers. The result is what I was afraid of though. Wending have BES. I get my email using program called Astrasync which runs an active sync protocol to the OWA portal. So it would show as data. A year or so ago when I had an unlimited TMo plan they didn't bill it as data. But I understand that they could at any time so that is a bit dodgy.

Actually, for Europe the current VZW plans aren't bad for BBs. I only use a couple Mb a day on a BB. I checked before leaving for the UK last Monday and my Android phone is, not surprisingly, using like 30 times as much data.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
So after a bunch of escalation I finally hit a wall. They definitely are pursuing the 3 month rule as the rolling sum of data usage over that three months. So the moral of the story is chew up as much data as possible in the US to offset any ex-US data over any given 3 month period. Seriously, stream video/radio 24/7 while you're at a desk and turn off wifi.

So now to a 250MB plan. Sad but enough to bootstrap me I suppose until I find a prepaid SIM in wherever country I'm at.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
So after a bunch of escalation I finally hit a wall. They definitely are pursuing the 3 month rule as the rolling sum of data usage over that three months. So the moral of the story is chew up as much data as possible in the US to offset any ex-US data over any given 3 month period. Seriously, stream video/radio 24/7 while you're at a desk and turn off wifi.

So now to a 250MB plan. Sad but enough to bootstrap me I suppose until I find a prepaid SIM in wherever country I'm at.
Majority of my time abroad is in the UK. I pay 5 quid a month for I think 2gb (Orange). Its enough for me. Even if I go to say France or Germany or somewhere else, Ill try to wifi it.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by chanp
Majority of my time abroad is in the UK. I pay 5 quid a month for I think 2gb (Orange). Its enough for me. Even if I go to say France or Germany or somewhere else, Ill try to wifi it.
Which, I suspect, is the reason VZW no longer unlocks phones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.