Putting movies on a MAC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Putting movies on a MAC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by reddirt14
Thanks to all - I'm learning a lot. Seems like there are a couple routes I can go and all work pretty well. I haven't thought about the iTunes library idea. My first thought was to put a copy of a movie, from a DVD, onto my computer. If it's possible I may try to put it on a fast SD card so that I minimize the space usage on my laptop...Macbook Air's don't have large drives, but if used wisely, they seem like they are big enough.

I do have a superdrive so I can read a DVD directly onto my laptop without using another computer. But initially I thought I would use a PC to "rip" the DVDs onto a portable media.

Is their anything unique about the formats that limit one or the other for use via a flashdrive or an SD card?
Nope, the file will act the same regardless of where it is stored and what file type it is. The 'Normal' preset in HandBrake will be sufficient quality unless you wish to make it smaller and conserver space, but that shouldn't be a problem. No worries about speed when playing from the external media, it will work fine.
As for where you rip the DVD, doesn't make much of a difference. Might be a bit faster on the PC, that is, if it's more powerful than the MBA.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by AlaskaAir738
I do not find the processing time from DVD to .m4v in HandBrake more than an hour and a half for a film on a laptop, much less (45 min. or less) on a good desktop. The OP from what I understand would not be interested in a video quality that would need "several hours" to convert.
If the OP is interested in archiving his digital copies somewhere (external drive or another PC), the .m4v files would be easier to work with (in an iTunes library) than the VIDEO_TS folders.
That's the thing. The way I read it, the OP just wants to rip, watch, and delete. 10 min max to rip. Why add 1.5hr to each rip?

If I'm archiving, BTW, no way would I encode to mp4 without a super high CQ rate and resolution. The way I see it, if you're going to convert, might as well make it high quality or else it's a waste of time. Ergo, could be up to several hours.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by reddirt14
I do have a superdrive so I can read a DVD directly onto my laptop without using another computer. But initially I thought I would use a PC to "rip" the DVDs onto a portable media.
For myself, I've also got a portable 2.5" drive. I usually stick a ton of stuff on that and just bring it with me when I travel so I can watch whatever I want.

Flashdrives and SD cards work fine.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: AA ExP
Try ripit.app as well.

I've used handbrake for a number of years (along with Mac the ripper) and ran into enough DVDs that it wouldnt handle so a year or two ago I switched to rip pit.app which I only use to create video_ts folders (for full quality) which I then compress with handbrake (for the iPad).
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:59 am

Two Handbrake Problems

I appreciate and continue to use Handbrake, but I've had two minor issues with it:

1. TV Shows
When ripping a DVD with, say, three TV shows on it, I create a "queue" of rips. But Handbrake defaults to creating three files with the same name, and they overwrite each other. If I remember to change the name, no problem. If I don't, I've wasted my time and I only figure it when I'm on the plane...

2. Minor copy protection
The most common DRM technique I encounter are DVDs with 99 tracks, all "movie length." One of the 99 is the actual movie. To find out which one, I run the movie through the Mac's DVD player application and find out that the movie is (for example) actually on track 17. Then I tell Handbrake to only rip track 17.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yes

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I think you get that by installing handbrake & vlc. (handbrake uses vlc's css support).

-David
yes, you have to have VLC installed to be able to hurdle most copy protections. Also, some perian drivers might help.

But, the problem with the air, if one doesn't have the external dvd drive is that having the DVD in another mac, and trying to rip ACROSS A LAN is either not possible or it takes a long time. I don't know WHICH dvd's don't work, I have never figured out why some do and some don't, but some won't. But the data transport is huge. I would rip them on another computer and then copy them over.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by boberonicus
I appreciate and continue to use Handbrake, but I've had two minor issues with it:

1. TV Shows
When ripping a DVD with, say, three TV shows on it, I create a "queue" of rips. But Handbrake defaults to creating three files with the same name, and they overwrite each other. If I remember to change the name, no problem. If I don't, I've wasted my time and I only figure it when I'm on the plane...
I have encounted this issue as well. It would be helpful if the software was smart enough to change file names for queued conversions.
Originally Posted by Braindrain
For myself, I've also got a portable 2.5" drive. I usually stick a ton of stuff on that and just bring it with me when I travel so I can watch whatever I want.

Flashdrives and SD cards work fine.
^ Portable drives are great for MBA owners. They have really come down in price as well. Starting around $100 for a good 1TB drive and down from there. From what I understand, Apple has still not allowed the SD card to lie flush with the laptop casing thus not allowing you to insert a 64GB card and leave it in without the possibility of damage. Really too bad since most every other laptop manufacturer allows this to work.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by AlaskaAir738
From what I understand, Apple has still not allowed the SD card to lie flush with the laptop casing thus not allowing you to insert a 64GB card and leave it in without the possibility of damage.
Yeah, it just sticks out on the side. Not a lot of room in there, I imagine.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.