Technical Question - External Monitor issue

Old Jan 15, 11, 10:25 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond

Gang,

I just purchased an HP G72-B66 laptop computer. I have it connected via HDMI cable to an HP 24" external monitor.

Here is the problem: When I close the laptop lid, it causes my laptop to go to sleep and the external monitor to lose the image.

On my last laptop, as soon as I hit the power on button, I closed the lid and never lifted it again... everything was done on the external monitor. I do not remember any special settings to make it work that way.

Would anyone have any suggestions for me to get the same effect with the new laptop?

Thanks,

William
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Open your Power Options control panel, on the Advanced tab you will see the Power Buttons section. Choose "Do nothing" for "When I close the lid of my portable computer". You may also need to adjust your screen saver to not come on for a long time, or you may have the option stop the screen saver when the video is playing.
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:09 pm

Programs: Dirt
Windows' power management is putting your laptop to sleep when you close the lid. This is the default behavior. To change this setting in Windows Vista or 7, go into Control Panel, System and Security, Power Options, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings, expand "Power buttons and lid" and change "Lid close action" from Sleep to Do nothing.
Old Jan 17, 11, 12:52 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thanks... appreciate the suggestion planemechanic... that worked like a charm...

Now, a new issue, some websites are not loading for me.... as though IE is blocking them... I cannot find anything in any setup... but sure I am missing something.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 17, 11, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Thanks... appreciate the suggestion planemechanic... that worked like a charm...

Now, a new issue, some websites are not loading for me.... as though IE is blocking them... I cannot find anything in any setup... but sure I am missing something.

Any thoughts?
Switch to FireFox or Chrome?

Or, check
1) has any malware modified my HOSTS file? The HOSTS file is found in \Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc folder, and can be opened with Notepad or Wordpad. Any lines that begin with '#' are comments and can be ignored. You should have only one at the bottom after comments that reads '127.0.0.1 localhost'.
2) has anybody installed a proxy server? Check this in Internet Properties - you get there via the Tools menu in IE or by right-clicking IE in the Start Menu. Once in Internet Properties, go to the Connections tab, then press the bottom button for 'LAN settings'.

Next thing to try is lowering the security level. Go to Internet Properties again, select Security tab, change the level at the bottom. If it's already at a Custom level, you might choose 'Reset all zones to default level'.

Failing these, you can always take IE back to the original settings by going to Internet Properties again, Advanced tab, Reset button at the bottom.
Old Jan 17, 11, 9:36 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Yea I have totally stopped using IE and use Chrome almost 100% of the time!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: