Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon iPhone Confirmed

Verizon iPhone Confirmed

Old Jan 11, 11, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Verizon iPhone Confirmed

Verizon is getting the iPhone (really, no kidding, we mean it).

Here are a few articles. Post your reaction as a reply.

Wall Street Journal

Verizon Finally Lands the iPhone

Live Blog Recap: Verizonís iPhone Announcement

New York Times

Verizon Will Offer the iPhone Next Month

Live Blogging the Verizon iPhone Announcement

AT&T and Verizon Trade Taunts Over iPhone

Washington Post

Verizon iPhone to go on sale in early February, company announces

Verizon iPhone: First impressions
Old Jan 11, 11, 11:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I have four friends who have already joined the list for it and have been holding off updating their Verizon phone when it was upgrade time waiting for this.

I think many people will jump onto it and not really have a clue what CDMA only means to them.

I'm betting AT&T has commercials all set to go showing the differences.
Old Jan 11, 11, 11:36 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
No talking and data at the same time, that is a deal breaker for me. Staying with ATT, plus need the GSM for International travel. I do wish AT&T would offer the hotspot option that Verizon is offering, even though right now we do not know if they are charging extra for it.
Old Jan 11, 11, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
I have four friends who have already joined the list for it and have been holding off updating their Verizon phone when it was upgrade time waiting for this.
What list? I spoke to my VZW Business Sales guy yesterday and he said he'd come back with numbers when he has them. I would never commit without prices, especially the recurring monthly charges and especially data.

I think many people will jump onto it and not really have a clue what CDMA only means to them.
Yes, but they don't belong to this forum. As said earlier this week, if I have to stick with two phones for the time being, okay.
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:05 pm

Programs: None anymore
Plan pricing

I'd bet(pure speculation) they keep the ViPhone plans close to the Droids.
Phone: $59.00
unlimited data: $29.99
I had an iPhone for 3 years, enjoyed it but in the end VzW was a better deal for me.
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:08 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA View Post
No talking and data at the same time, that is a deal breaker for me. Staying with ATT, plus need the GSM for International travel. I do wish AT&T would offer the hotspot option that Verizon is offering, even though right now we do not know if they are charging extra for it.

Jailbreak your iphone and use MYWI It does exactly that!
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
What list? I spoke to my VZW Business Sales guy yesterday and he said he'd come back with numbers when he has them. I would never commit without prices, especially the recurring monthly charges and especially data.
There's a be the first to know link for current customers on the website. It's supposedly a block of phones they have reserved for current customers and once you enter your information they send you details. I'm sure they are assuming the data pricing will be comparable to AT&T and/or what they are doing now and if it's not will say no thanks.
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by ericjkelly View Post
+1. My cousin has his Droid rooted and uses is wifi hotspot for free, sorta.
Old Jan 11, 11, 4:24 pm

Glad to hear that Verizon is finally getting the device but I will not be purchasing it. First off, it is too close to the June refresh where we can expect iPhone 5, which will almost certainly be multi-carrier. Second, the phone is not even 4G LTE! Finally, as stated earlier, it is not an international GSM phone. Seems best to stick with the BlackBerry for now.
Old Jan 11, 11, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL, BA
Originally Posted by AlaskaAir738 View Post
Glad to hear that Verizon is finally getting the device but I will not be purchasing it. First off, it is too close to the June refresh where we can expect iPhone 5, which will almost certainly be multi-carrier. Second, the phone is not even 4G LTE! Finally, as stated earlier, it is not an international GSM phone. Seems best to stick with the BlackBerry for now.
+1. CDMA iPhone? bleh. I think I'm going with the Droid Bionic when it comes out. That or the LG revolution.
Old Jan 11, 11, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

There's a be the first to know link for current customers on the website. It's supposedly a block of phones they have reserved for current customers and once you enter your information they send you details. I'm sure they are assuming the data pricing will be comparable to AT&T and/or what they are doing now and if it's not will say no thanks.
Are you referring to this?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/iphone.jsp
Old Jan 11, 11, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by AlaskaAir738 View Post
Your Blackberry is LTE?

The lack of GSM is a good reason for those that travel a lot obviously. I suspect for the rest of the 95% of the US population this is going to be pretty interesting.
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:35 pm
Suspended

First off, it is too close to the June refresh where we can expect iPhone 5, which will almost certainly be multi-carrier. Second, the phone is not even 4G LTE! Finally, as stated earlier, it is not an international GSM phone. Seems best to stick with the BlackBerry for now.
You can expect the next iPhone then. By your reasoning, the current phone should be the iPhone 5 as you seem to think that number necessarily increments with each release. It doesn't.

The next phone may be multi-carrier or it may not. It will have the same capabilities on either network, but there's no data in the wild that says it will necessarily be one chip. Is that you Steve?

4G LTE? True, but for most people that really doesn't matter a lot. Another 6 months of dropped calls or 6 months of good calling with a 6 month delay until you can upgrade to a 4G phone.

It seems best for you to do that. There are plenty of other people, as you can read in the thread, where that does not apply.
Old Jan 12, 11, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by ericjkelly View Post
And maybe forthcoming soon with iOS update: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13488
Old Jan 12, 11, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Your Blackberry is LTE?

The lack of GSM is a good reason for those that travel a lot obviously. I suspect for the rest of the 95% of the US population this is going to be pretty interesting.
I would expect Verizon to push their new 4G network here in 2011, thus I find it a little surprising that there would be an iPhone release in January and then again in June, likely with new hardware.
Originally Posted by new2japan View Post
You can expect the next iPhone then. By your reasoning, the current phone should be the iPhone 5 as you seem to think that number necessarily increments with each release. It doesn't.

The next phone may be multi-carrier or it may not. It will have the same capabilities on either network, but there's no data in the wild that says it will necessarily be one chip. Is that you Steve?

4G LTE? True, but for most people that really doesn't matter a lot. Another 6 months of dropped calls or 6 months of good calling with a 6 month delay until you can upgrade to a 4G phone.

It seems best for you to do that. There are plenty of other people, as you can read in the thread, where that does not apply.
Sorry, I should have rephrased multi-carrier to mean available on AT&T as well as VZW not to mean a CDMA+GSM dual-chip phone. I would expect multiple carrier availability in the next release of iPhone.
From this, I imagine the best option if you are not desperate to get off AT&T is to wait it out for the next release of the phone and then pick your carrier. Otherwise, Apple is facing some tough competition from those Andriod phones.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: