Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon iPhone Confirmed

Verizon iPhone Confirmed

Old Jan 12, 11, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by AlaskaAir738
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Your Blackberry is LTE?

The lack of GSM is a good reason for those that travel a lot obviously. I suspect for the rest of the 95% of the US population this is going to be pretty interesting.
I would expect Verizon to push their new 4G network here in 2011, thus I find it a little surprising that there would be an iPhone release in January and then again in June, likely with new hardware.
Originally Posted by new2japan View Post
You can expect the next iPhone then. By your reasoning, the current phone should be the iPhone 5 as you seem to think that number necessarily increments with each release. It doesn't.

The next phone may be multi-carrier or it may not. It will have the same capabilities on either network, but there's no data in the wild that says it will necessarily be one chip. Is that you Steve?

4G LTE? True, but for most people that really doesn't matter a lot. Another 6 months of dropped calls or 6 months of good calling with a 6 month delay until you can upgrade to a 4G phone.

It seems best for you to do that. There are plenty of other people, as you can read in the thread, where that does not apply.
Sorry, I should have rephrased multi-carrier to mean available on AT&T as well as VZW not to mean a CDMA+GSM dual-chip phone. I would expect multiple carrier availability in the next release of iPhone.
From this, I imagine the best option if you are not desperate to get off AT&T is to wait it out for the next release of the phone and then pick your carrier. Otherwise, Apple is facing some tough competition from those Andriod phones.
I've live more than 50 years without LTE. There won't be a lot of LTE phones initially, I would guess mid to late 2012 before they are extremely common. Probably the next VZW iPhone will have it but there won't be a lot of LTE options in the meantime. Some of course, a few are already announced. But I don't see it having mmuch impact for at least a year and current speeds are fine for everyday use in my experience. Sort of like the argument that next year computers will have faster processors so I will wait. Well of course they will but that doesnt mean the current ones dont work fine. Same with this, it will work fine so who cares whether if is LTE.
Old Jan 13, 11, 11:26 am

Programs: DL, BA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've live more than 50 years without LTE. There won't be a lot of LTE phones initially, I would guess mid to late 2012 before they are extremely common. Probably the next VZW iPhone will have it but there won't be a lot of LTE options in the meantime. Some of course, a few are already announced. But I don't see it having mmuch impact for at least a year and current speeds are fine for everyday use in my experience. Sort of like the argument that next year computers will have faster processors so I will wait. Well of course they will but that doesnt mean the current ones dont work fine. Same with this, it will work fine so who cares whether if is LTE.
The major upgrade with the LTE-enabled phones is simultaneous data + voice (voice will be handled over CDMA). I don't know if I'll end up using it a ton, but I'd like the option. On the other hand, Apple doesn't allow other branding on their phones, which is a huge plus to me. I guess I'll make the decision in a month or two.

Why lock myself into a 2-yr agreement with this phone when (arguably) better alternatives will be available by march. Admittedly, I haven't read the "verizon eliminates every 2" thread so I'm just assuming that means I won't be eligible for any early upgrades.

edit: also, I like my gadgets regardless of how worthless "improvements" between iterations may be.
Old Jan 13, 11, 8:07 pm

Agreed. But for me, my BlackBerry also works fine, so I can afford to wait. I don't want to get locked in on a contract with a phone that is soon to be replaced.
One question still remaining for me is whether the CDMA iPhone will be on the same refresh cycle as that of the GSM model. That is, will both versions of the phone be announced in June/Summer?
Old Jan 13, 11, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LTE may not be a requirement just yet, but surely Apple should have realized that having dual-mode CDMA/GSM was something not worth overlooking?

I'm still convinced they pulled another iPhone 3G and purposely left out things people wanted. When the first iPhone came out, they claimed there were no decent 3G chipsets, then launched the 3G with a chipset that was already three years old.

The entire development timeline is designed around creating upgrade options for themselves.

It'll be interesting to see whether the GSM iPhone 5 is out a lot earlier than a CDMA version...
Old Jan 13, 11, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
LTE may not be a requirement just yet, but surely Apple should have realized that having dual-mode CDMA/GSM was something not worth overlooking?

I'm still convinced they pulled another iPhone 3G and purposely left out things people wanted. When the first iPhone came out, they claimed there were no decent 3G chipsets, then launched the 3G with a chipset that was already three years old.

The entire development timeline is designed around creating upgrade options for themselves.

It'll be interesting to see whether the GSM iPhone 5 is out a lot earlier than a CDMA version...
It sure does seem that the development timeline is structured that way.
Really does seem more 'Apple-like' for an all-in-one CDMA/GSM device. Maybe it will be a possibility with the more standard LTE technology.
Old Jan 13, 11, 8:38 pm
Suspended

I would expect Verizon to push their new 4G network here in 2011, thus I find it a little surprising that there would be an iPhone release in January and then again in June, likely with new hardware.
Apple has released a new phone every summer since the iPhone came out. Why would you be surprised if they did again this year?
Old Jan 13, 11, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by new2japan View Post
Apple has released a new phone every summer since the iPhone came out. Why would you be surprised if they did again this year?
It would surprise me if they release a CDMA phone in January/February and again in June/July ~4-5 months later. This is what leads me to question whether or not the CDMA and GSM models will be on the same refresh cycle. Will the GSM come in Summer and the CDMA come in Winter???
Old Jan 13, 11, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by AlaskaAir738 View Post
It would surprise me if they release a CDMA phone in January/February and again in June/July ~4-5 months later. This is what leads me to question whether or not the CDMA and GSM models will be on the same refresh cycle. Will the GSM come in Summer and the CDMA come in Winter???
It will be interesting to see what Apple does with the next generation iPhone. I'm guessing a different antenna design, but would it be more likely that they only make small changes? Or kind of like what they did for the iPod touch... release the new iPhone for AT&T and then say that they will pass those changes on to the verizon iPhone in 4-6 months. Or maybe just increase storage size?
Old Jan 14, 11, 11:08 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Because for various technical or commercial reasons the chipsets that came out in the meantime were deemed not suitable, and they HAD to get a 3G product out there. It's a bit different this time. There simply doesn't exist a mass-production ready chipset capable of LTE/HSDPA/GSM which would fit into the iPhone design (i.e. what is ready today is too big). Don't know much about CDMA but that's normally behind the GSM curve. There's a lot of new stuff expected in the next few months though - we'll know more after the Mobile World Congress next month.
Old Jan 14, 11, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by potfish View Post
Because for various technical or commercial reasons the chipsets that came out in the meantime were deemed not suitable, and they HAD to get a 3G product out there. It's a bit different this time. There simply doesn't exist a mass-production ready chipset capable of LTE/HSDPA/GSM which would fit into the iPhone design (i.e. what is ready today is too big). Don't know much about CDMA but that's normally behind the GSM curve. There's a lot of new stuff expected in the next few months though - we'll know more after the Mobile World Congress next month.
I agree that a tri-mode chipset would be pushing it - but CDMA/3G GSM chipsets are very common and have been in a bunch of phones. But apparently Apple and/or Verizon decided they didn't want to make a phone that would work worldwide.
Old Jan 14, 11, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold/GE
There may be a tri-mode chipset from qualcomm according to engadet. This would be for the iPhone 5
Old Jan 14, 11, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by frankmu View Post
There may be a tri-mode chipset from qualcomm according to engadet. This would be for the iPhone 5
Just read this myself, great news! ^
Old Jan 15, 11, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
I have four friends who have already joined the list for it and have been holding off updating their Verizon phone when it was upgrade time waiting for this.

I think many people will jump onto it and not really have a clue what CDMA only means to them.

I'm betting AT&T has commercials all set to go showing the differences.
AT&T still thinks that I believe those commericals on thier great coverage. I used to have Verizon. Went to AT&T...If they didn't have the Iphone I would have left a year ago. LOUSY coverage. I can't wait for Verizon. The "issues" don't really impact me. (I can honestly say that I have never talked and surfed on the phone at the same time for example!)

I did not upgrade my AT&T phone when the new one came out just to make sure I could get out of thier service when Verizon got the phone.. (there was a REASON they offered FREE early upgrades, they KNEW that folks like me were gone at the first chance we got!)

I probably won't change until June due to some other issues so that will give Verizon a chance to work out the bugs... But AT&T has lost a customer!
Old Jan 15, 11, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Your Blackberry is LTE?

The lack of GSM is a good reason for those that travel a lot obviously. I suspect for the rest of the 95% of the US population this is going to be pretty interesting.
The fact that this Verizon iPhone is NOT a global capable phone is a deal breaker for me!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: