Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Need INDIA WIDE Mobile BROADBAND service, options?

Old Jan 8, 11, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD

So, I posted in the other thread a few weeks ago but haven't seen any response. Maybe this topic is lost in a general international thread.

I have a trip coming up at the end of the month for about three weeks and need to find a broadband mobile internet option for India. I'll be in Mumbai and the north, Delhi, Jaipur, Udaipur, etc. Regular 3g would most likely be fine.

I've checked on actual service providers, but there don't seem to be direct options and I'd prefer to get a solution in place prior to departure.

I need something which I can setup with a laptop, usb dongle, or a dongle that might work with a broadband router (like a cradlepoint) so the service solution would need to be something which I could pair place in a dongle or buy a dongle or rent a dongle, something like that.

Any thoughts, solutions, prior experiences?

Appreciate any creative solutions.
Old Jan 8, 11, 10:45 am

http://www.xcomglobal.com/internatio...age/india.html

or take a jailbroken iPhone with an iPhonetrip SIM card and MiWi:

http://www.iphonetrip.com

and before anyone says anything, you can easily beat these rates if you go prepaid over there. India requires registration and I don't think you can do it at the cellphone store. If you have a local who can front for you, you can have the solution in place before you land.

One advantage to iPhonetrip is that it will access multiple networks. Xcom's solution is limited to one network, but is more plug and play.
Old Jan 8, 11, 10:52 am
Original Poster

This might work and I do have some locals over there, might try that.

Iphonetrip, only on iphone and ipad (my ipad is no longer JB'd since 4.1) but is there a way to get something to a computer, which I could then just easily share?
Old Jan 8, 11, 1:00 pm

There are two competing which can do the job: PDANet and MiWi. They both allow tethering without telephone company permission. Both turn your iPhone into a hotspot and you can log other computers or iPads onto that signal. You can also USB tether a laptop to your iPhone. You can buy either program directly out of the Cydia App Store.

If you are simultaneously running 3g and WiFi in active modes, your battery will go down fast so either carry an external battery or cigarette lighter adapters a long charging cable. If it is plugged into your laptop and USB tethered, the laptop can charge the phone at the same time.
Old Jan 8, 11, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have and use pdanet. I just meant another option. these seem to be VERY HIGH$$, I think I'm going to continue to try and find a local option or other more int'l travel option. 15-30$ a day seems a bit high for a month of unlimited access.
Old Jan 10, 11, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old Jan 12, 11, 9:59 am

You can use the broadband service from TATA Photon http://www.tataphoton.com/ they provide you with a USB dongle you can checkout their price and speed on their website.
Old Jan 12, 11, 10:18 am
Original Poster

That tata stuff looks pretty darn good. Issue is, how to buy one in the USA or even in India. It LOOKS like one can buy the PHoton+ service, dongle for about 50$ US, and then about 35$ for 30 days of about unlimited use. That would be a sweet deal, since it covers all the cities that I would need. Even with 1xRtt that would be fine as a fall back. But, not sure how one can get it prior to arrival and also even AFTER arrival. I might be able to find a location IN COUNTRY and buy it there, if that is even allowed.
Old Jan 12, 11, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
That tata stuff looks pretty darn good. Issue is, how to buy one in the USA or even in India. It LOOKS like one can buy the PHoton+ service, dongle for about 50$ US, and then about 35$ for 30 days of about unlimited use. That would be a sweet deal, since it covers all the cities that I would need. Even with 1xRtt that would be fine as a fall back. But, not sure how one can get it prior to arrival and also even AFTER arrival. I might be able to find a location IN COUNTRY and buy it there, if that is even allowed.
You have to get in touch with your India contacts to get everything ready and working, don't even try to get it when you are in India there are lot of paperwork and they will ask for ID proof etc it will take anywhere from 7 to 10 days to get the service, i have used it and the speed is very decent around 2 Mbps to 3 Mbps.
Old Jan 15, 11, 10:27 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Try Reliance Communication Wireless Broadband

Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post

You will need to get your India contacts to get you a Reliance Broadband Wireless Internet stick connection. Ask for the unlimnited usage for the period you are there.
I usually raise the subscription to unlimited for the month/s we are in India, and then reduce it to bare usage for the months we are not there.
Have used Reliance Wireless Internet almosty everywhere - VaishnooDevi to Chennai, Goa, Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Amritsar, Agra, Ahmedabad, Baroda, and other small towns. Have used it at airports, on express trains, and in hotels besides home.
Old Jan 15, 11, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

So, is there something about th reliance cards that make it better than a TATA? Seem to just be two providors. Is one easier for foreigners?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: