Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Now that CES is here, what is the best Android tablet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now that CES is here, what is the best Android tablet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Where have you seen it on pre-sale for $699? I'd be on the fence at that price. At $599 I'm in for sure.
http://www.androidcentral.com/motoro...ct-799-without

There you go, 599. Now for the xoom experts, my question is about the 4g sim slot. I saw a site unwrap theres, he showed a sim slot. Said it would be for the 4g network. Does that mean it can be unlocked and maybe used on older 3g networks abroad as well? Or is that 4g stuff totally different technology? I like vzw, but for me traveling so much, I need a 3g/4g unlocked version so I can travel with it.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:30 am

Nope. The Verizon XOOM is cdma + lte, so no gsm. Personally, I'd rather get the gsm version (hopefully it will be available here in the US sooner or later).
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by srirams
Nope. The Verizon XOOM is cdma + lte, so no gsm. Personally, I'd rather get the gsm version (hopefully it will be available here in the US sooner or later).
I'm with you on that. VZW with it getting rid of unlimited global data, no new world capable phones that are running 4g, etc, makes me wonder their direction for their world travelers. Well, I guess i do know the direction, expensive. Best to get a 3g device, get it unlocked and pay for data where u travel to.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Lot of money for Tegra2 tablet when supposedly quad-core or Tegra3 devices are due later this year.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Lot of money for Tegra2 tablet when supposedly quad-core or Tegra3 devices are due later this year.
The problem is that there is always something new coming out in 3-6 months
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chanp
http://www.androidcentral.com/motoro...ct-799-without

There you go, 599. Now for the xoom experts, my question is about the 4g sim slot. I saw a site unwrap theres, he showed a sim slot. Said it would be for the 4g network. Does that mean it can be unlocked and maybe used on older 3g networks abroad as well? Or is that 4g stuff totally different technology? I like vzw, but for me traveling so much, I need a 3g/4g unlocked version so I can travel with it.
Well that's with a 2 year contract...so all in you're over $1,000. As for the 4G sim slot I believe you have to mail it in to get the upgrade. I assume once that is complete you'll have access to both 3G and 4G service.

Anyway, just ordered a Xoom today from the Motorola store...with 25% off coupon and free shipping it came to $600 + tax. I was going to hold out for the wifi only version...but at this price there was no point in waiting. Can't wait to check it out next week.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:41 pm

Well that's with a 2 year contract...so all in you're over $1,000. As for the 4G sim slot I believe you have to mail it in to get the upgrade. I assume once that is complete you'll have access to both 3G and 4G service.

Anyway, just ordered a Xoom today from the Motorola store...with 25% off coupon and free shipping it came to $600 + tax. I was going to hold out for the wifi only version...but at this price there was no point in waiting. Can't wait to check it out next week.
I tried that coupon too, but wouldnt work. Which coupon code and link did you use? Took me to Amazon from the Moto site and said coupon not valid.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chanp
I tried that coupon too, but wouldnt work. Which coupon code and link did you use? Took me to Amazon from the Moto site and said coupon not valid.
Apparently the coupon was intended to be used at the motorola store only for mobile accessories, not on the Xoom. The coupon code was only live for a couple of hours before they pulled it. Fortunately they decided to fill all the orders that were placed during that time. My Xoom was shipped and I should have it next week.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:36 pm

Apparently the coupon was intended to be used at the motorola store only for mobile accessories, not on the Xoom. The coupon code was only live for a couple of hours before they pulled it. Fortunately they decided to fill all the orders that were placed during that time. My Xoom was shipped and I should have it next week.
Congrats. Let us know how you like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.