iPhone for Verizon (US) and Orange (FR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone for Verizon (US) and Orange (FR)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
OP, like you I also have both VZW and Orange France service and I also own two phones. What's the big deal? How often do you have both with you at the same time? It's not like your carrying two iPads.

VZW does have a few phones with both CDMA and GSM capability. (A friend showed me his Blackberry recently that has a SIM in the back.) But a question to which I do not know the answer is:

Are the Verizon CDMA/GSM phones unlocked to permit the use of a different network? (This question presumes that if VZW locked the GSM side of the phone it would be locked to them or Vodaphone, their partner.)
By default it is locked but if you're a customer in good standing Verizon will gladly give you the unlock code. I've done this literally twelve times with various new and warranty replacement headsets.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

By default it is locked but if you're a customer in good standing Verizon will gladly give you the unlock code. I've done this literally twelve times with various new and warranty replacement headsets.
I'm still using the phone (and plan) that I got from Alltel (now Verizon) in 2004. Verizon has been trying for months to entice me into a new plan and phone. Maybe that would give me some negotiation leverage?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Apple signed a 5-year contract with AT&T in 2007.
nope. apple signed a 'multi-year exclusive contract,' the exact terms of which have never been made public. that simply means it's longer than one year. furthermore, the iphone was announced on january 9, 2007, so any contract would more than likely have been signed in 2006.

This contract was made public as part of the discovery phase of a class action lawsuit against Apple in mid-2010. 2007+5=2012. Ergo, the earliest that Apple could possibly release a Verizon iPhone is 2012, when the 5-year exclusivity clause of the AT&T contract is up.
nope. what was in that lawsuit was that the plaintiff read a usa today article from 2007 that claimed the contract was five years, and because of that, he felt he was misled.

Now, some have pointed out that the original 5-year exclusive contract COULD have been amended in the 4 years since it was signed, and sure, it could have been. But if it had been, wouldn't that amendment have also been disclosed to the plaintiffs during the discovery phase of the class action lawsuit? Since the lawsuit specifically deals with the exclusivity issue, any amendments to the AT&T exclusive contract would have been discovered to the plaintiffs, otherwise Apple could face some stiff legal penalties.
see above. the lawsuit referenced a newspaper article, not the actual contract.

Likelihood of a Verizon iPhone in 2011: 5%.
it's more like 95%, if not higher.

I do think it very likely, however, that the announcement will be about an iPad with 3G connectivity, on the Verizon network.
apple is not likely to introduce a verizon ipad a month or two before the ipad 2 comes out. why bother?

After all, the old "Verizon iPhone" rumors got a kick start a few months ago when it was revealed that Apple had bought up a large number of Verizon-compatible CDMA chipsets, Verizon is already selling Wi-Fi iPads now, and the iPad is not covered by any exclusivity agreement with AT&T or any other reseller or provider. And what iPad fan wouldn't want an iPad with 3G Verizon connectivity?
not that many, since most ipad 3g users aren't activating the 3g from the surveys i've seen. it's optional pay as you go, and it looks like people are buying the 3g version just in case they might need 3g one day, or that they want the gps.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Verizon iPhone this week? Incredibly unlikely.

Apple signed a 5-year contract with AT&T in 2007. This contract was made public as part of the discovery phase of a class action lawsuit against Apple in mid-2010. 2007+5=2012. Ergo, the earliest that Apple could possibly release a Verizon iPhone is 2012, when the 5-year exclusivity clause of the AT&T contract is up.

Now, some have pointed out that the original 5-year exclusive contract COULD have been amended in the 4 years since it was signed, and sure, it could have been. But if it had been, wouldn't that amendment have also been disclosed to the plaintiffs during the discovery phase of the class action lawsuit? Since the lawsuit specifically deals with the exclusivity issue, any amendments to the AT&T exclusive contract would have been discovered to the plaintiffs, otherwise Apple could face some stiff legal penalties.
You do know that contracts can be re-negotiated, right?

My guess is that Apple re-negotiated the deal, invoking some clause in the original contract over AT&T's poor service. I would guess some kind of temporary iPad deal was made, albeit short-lived, to grease the early termination.

Likelihood of a Verizon iPhone in 2011: 5%.

I do think it very likely, however, that the announcement will be about an iPad with 3G connectivity, on the Verizon network.

After all, the old "Verizon iPhone" rumors got a kick start a few months ago when it was revealed that Apple had bought up a large number of Verizon-compatible CDMA chipsets, Verizon is already selling Wi-Fi iPads now, and the iPad is not covered by any exclusivity agreement with AT&T or any other reseller or provider. And what iPad fan wouldn't want an iPad with 3G Verizon connectivity?
All the hype, including The Wall Street Journal's assertion of the iPhone announcement being what's happening on Tuesday, does not feel like just an iPad event on Tuesday.

I do not recall Verizon hyping up the sale of the iPads they have now, it "just happened." Verizon made a big deal out of their 4G/LTE network at CES. Calling a high-profile press conference like this only to announce an iPad with 3G connectivity? Highly doubtful.

The only question for Tuesday is whether this is simply an iPhone 4 with just CDMA, or the iPhone 5, with LTE.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:21 am

Are the Verizon CDMA/GSM phones unlocked to permit the use of a different network? (This question presumes that if VZW locked the GSM side of the phone it would be locked to them or Vodaphone, their partner.)
Vz is probably one of the most locked carriers but I'm sure there are folks out there that can unlock the sim hardware. If the Vz iPhone does sim card in it, I'm sure it will be a hot topic
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by dtsm
Vz is probably one of the most locked carriers but I'm sure there are folks out there that can unlock the sim hardware. If the Vz iPhone does sim card in it, I'm sure it will be a hot topic
As other said all VZW world phones are locked (HTC Touch Pro 2/Blackberry). But for user with VZW account and sole purpose of SIM unlock is for intl travel, just call customer care and they will unlock it free of charge.

The question is whether the VZW iPhone4 is Quad GSM w/Edge data on US Band or just Intl GSM (900/1800) with WCDMA 2100, or not world phone at all.

Also I wonder how Skype on VZW will work on this iPhone, will they charge against your account minutes like Droid and Blackberry or is just data.

Last I've heard iPhone 5 won't be LTE ready.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
The Wall Street Journal disagrees with you. Oh well.
Yeah, but WSJ has been wrong before, like when they predicted in March 2010 that Apple would start mass-producing Verizon iPhones, and sell them right away, in September 2010:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...601774892.html

But, hey, they're still a respected news outlet, and just because they've been wrong on this subject in the past doesn't mean they're wrong now.

Originally Posted by pdxer
nope. apple signed a 'multi-year exclusive contract,' the exact terms of which have never been made public. that simply means it's longer than one year. furthermore, the iphone was announced on january 9, 2007, so any contract would more than likely have been signed in 2006.

nope. what was in that lawsuit was that the plaintiff read a usa today article from 2007 that claimed the contract was five years, and because of that, he felt he was misled.

see above. the lawsuit referenced a newspaper article, not the actual contract.

it's more like 95%, if not higher.

apple is not likely to introduce a verizon ipad a month or two before the ipad 2 comes out. why bother?

not that many, since most ipad 3g users aren't activating the 3g from the surveys i've seen. it's optional pay as you go, and it looks like people are buying the 3g version just in case they might need 3g one day, or that they want the gps.
Originally Posted by LessO2
You do know that contracts can be re-negotiated, right?

My guess is that Apple re-negotiated the deal, invoking some clause in the original contract over AT&T's poor service. I would guess some kind of temporary iPad deal was made, albeit short-lived, to grease the early termination.

All the hype, including The Wall Street Journal's assertion of the iPhone announcement being what's happening on Tuesday, does not feel like just an iPad event on Tuesday.

I do not recall Verizon hyping up the sale of the iPads they have now, it "just happened." Verizon made a big deal out of their 4G/LTE network at CES. Calling a high-profile press conference like this only to announce an iPad with 3G connectivity? Highly doubtful.

The only question for Tuesday is whether this is simply an iPhone 4 with just CDMA, or the iPhone 5, with LTE.
Actually, I was wrong about that whole contract thing. Yep, I admit it - I was wrong.

The terms of the original contract were not revealed by the recent lawsuit, they were revealed in 2008 as part of a class-action lawsuit filed in 2007.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ntil_2012.html

Nilay Patel reported Monday that Apple, in a court filing in October 2008, admitted that AT&T had exclusive distribution rights in the U.S. for the iPhone. Apple specifically admitted to reports from USA Today in 2007, in which the newspaper said that the two companies had agreed to a deal through 2012. The paper also reported in 2007 that Verizon passed on a similar five-year arrangement.
And you are both right; contracts CAN be amended, re-negotiated, and even breached, so it IS possible that Tuesday's event is the iPhone announcement. But I doubt it. Like you said, LessO2, it just doesn't FEEL to me like an iPhone event. Not without Steve Jobs.

According to some article I read yesterday (can't remember where, dang it), Steve Jobs is in Japan right now. When Verizon finally gets the iPhone, I cannot imagine that Jobs won't be part of the announcement. He LOVES that kind of hype, particularly for new versions of iPhone. And I seriously doubt that he'd allow Verizon to take center stage with this particular announcement; he'd demand that it either be an Apple press conference, or a joint press conference.

Still, it's possible. I just don't see it happening till 2012.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
[QUOTE=BobbySteel;15610090

By default it is locked but if you're a customer in good standing Verizon will gladly give you the unlock code. I've done this literally twelve times with various new and warranty replacement headsets.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting! Thank you.

So, if the VZW iPhone turns out to be CDMA/GSM, both OP and I will be in luck. (I'm sure we will be along with lots of other people.)
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you are both right; contracts CAN be amended, re-negotiated, and even breached, so it IS possible that Tuesday's event is the iPhone announcement. But I doubt it. Like you said, LessO2, it just doesn't FEEL to me like an iPhone event. Not without Steve Jobs.

According to some article I read yesterday (can't remember where, dang it), Steve Jobs is in Japan right now. When Verizon finally gets the iPhone, I cannot imagine that Jobs won't be part of the announcement. He LOVES that kind of hype, particularly for new versions of iPhone. And I seriously doubt that he'd allow Verizon to take center stage with this particular announcement; he'd demand that it either be an Apple press conference, or a joint press conference.

Still, it's possible. I just don't see it happening till 2012.
First I said it doesn't feel like an iPad event.

Second, someone is saying that Jobs will be in New York on Tuesday. Frankly, the feeling about the iPhone announcement is stronger than Jobs being in New York, but I do not rule it out.

Doesn't your reasoning for doubting the iPhone announcement and Jobs wanting to be in the spotlight lend credibility to him being in New York on Tuesday? If anybody should know, us FlyerTalkers should know that being in Japan today doesn't rule someone out from being in New York on Tuesday, especially with the friendly time difference.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
First I said it doesn't feel like an iPad event.

Second, someone is saying that Jobs will be in New York on Tuesday. Frankly, the feeling about the iPhone announcement is stronger than Jobs being in New York, but I do not rule it out.

Doesn't your reasoning for doubting the iPhone announcement and Jobs wanting to be in the spotlight lend credibility to him being in New York on Tuesday? If anybody should know, us FlyerTalkers should know that being in Japan today doesn't rule someone out from being in New York on Tuesday, especially with the friendly time difference.

Particularly when you are flying by private jet where you actually have a bedroom with a working shower. Add to this who is invited to the event (Apple Watchers), who is not (Gizmodo who Verizon likes and Apple hates), and all the other stuff going on.

Let me turn to the tablet scene, however, and point out that Apple probably needs to do something there as well. Honeycomb (or whatever Google is calling it) rivals the iOS and the competitors will be ahead as soon as their products hit the street.

Stepping back to the iPhone, my question, however, is would they really want to release a Verizon iPhone six months out of sync with its GSM counterparts? Verizon iPhone 4 users will be really mad if the iPhone 5 unit hits ATT stores in July. Delaying the iPhone 5 release on the ATT side may not be a great move with the competitors basically catching up. Android 3 is getting pretty polished. Rumors about what is going on in Verizon stores is inconsistent with a July release for Verizon.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Jan 8, 2011 at 8:29 am
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Let me turn to the tablet scene, however, and point out that Apple probably needs to do something there as well. Honeycomb (or whatever Google is calling it) rivals the iOS and the competitors will be ahead as soon as their products hit the street.
I think iPad2 will be addressing those concerns.

Stepping back to the iPhone, my question, however, is would they really want to release a Verizon iPhone six months out of sync with its GSM counterparts? Verizon iPhone 4 users will be really mad if the iPhone 5 unit hits ATT stores in July. Delaying the iPhone 5 release on the ATT side may not be a great move with the competitors basically catching up. Android 3 is getting pretty polished. Rumors about what is going on in Verizon stores is inconsistent with a July release for Verizon.
That's a very good question. Maybe it's a part of the contract with AT&T somehow?

When you say "Android 3," do you mean version 2.3, or Honeycomb (v3.0)? Because, supposedly Honeycomb is for tablets only.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:10 pm

Honeycomb is for tablets only, but we will have duo core Android phones real quick and they can power the new aOS (for want of a better term). Did you see the new Motorola hybrid Droid that docks with a dumb terminal and makes the phone into a virtual notebook. $5 says it is running aOS3. Google is not going keep the two variants of the operating system separate for long. They will merge together fairly quickly.

We are two business before the announcement. If we all keep firing different predictions, Lady Luck says that some of his will accidentally hit the nail on the head, but I think we should just take a wait and see attitude.

If we were all in the same room, it would be a great bar room bet!

Stu
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honeycomb is for tablets only, but we will have duo core Android phones real quick and they can power the new aOS (for want of a better term).
Yeah, did you see the Motorola Bionic specs? Dual core 1ghz with 512mb of RAM. Huh? Doesn't that effectively wash out the dual core benefit?

Have had my eye on HTC, and what eventually came out as the Thunderbolt.

A few months ago, I was "nah, forget the iPhone when it comes to Verizon." The questions about the Bionic and Thunderbolt...more like a lack of deeper specs (world phone?) make me want to at least look at the iPhone.

Admittedly, I don't know much more about Android (other than the open source thing), but I want to compare both of the OS before making a decision. I am out of a contract with VZW right now, and really want to make the right choice.

Out of the gate, I will say that one of the biggest things for me is that I need a world phone. I would have bought the Incredible already had it not been CDMA-only. The VZW folks at CES said something in follow-up questions about world phone something like "it'll be taken care of" (or something like that. Wish they would have said a flat-out yes or no.

Did you see the new Motorola hybrid Droid that docks with a dumb terminal and makes the phone into a virtual notebook. $5 says it is running aOS3. Google is not going keep the two variants of the operating system separate for long. They will merge together fairly quickly.
Oh yeah, they want to get Gingerbread out there ASAP. Only question is whether phones like Bionic and Thunderbolt will have Gingerbrad or Froyo out of the box. Regardless, it'll eventually go to Gingerbread.

We are two business before the announcement. If we all keep firing different predictions, Lady Luck says that some of his will accidentally hit the nail on the head, but I think we should just take a wait and see attitude.

If we were all in the same room, it would be a great bar room bet!

Stu
Yeah, it's great bar talk.

My feeling is that it's iPhone. My questions are the same as everyone else's....4 or 5, CDMA-only or World Phone, and/or LTE?

I'm in an all-day meeting on Tuesday.....will definitely look up Engadget during the lunch break to see what the news exactly is.

I also guess that Jobs will get ready for the iPad2 (guessing retina display, USB port, front-facing camera and more megapixels) announcement later this month or early February. Unless another tablet comes out sooner that better (and I will look at the Galaxy with Honeycomb), I'm probably going to get an iPad2 this summer.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that we'll see a Verizon iPad - not an iPhone. The new iPad will come out on Verizon FIRST, will have LTE (or be able to be upgraded to it).
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
My guess is that we'll see a Verizon iPad - not an iPhone. The new iPad will come out on Verizon FIRST, will have LTE (or be able to be upgraded to it).
Interesting theory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.