Lenovo T410

Old Jan 2, 11, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Post Lenovo T410

Hardware problems on my (now vintage) Thinkpad T43p are forcing me to have to retire it and Im now in the market for a new laptop. Im seriously considering a Lenovo T410 so Im hoping there are a couple of FTers out there that have one of these and can give me some feedback...

Im especially interested in experiences & reliability of hard drives, Im looking to get a model with a 500GB 7200rpm drive which I will assume is a proven workhorse.

As I like to hold on to laptops for a while, Im considering coughing up the extra bucks to get an i7 processor.... is the additional $$$ worth it to get the Ultimate 64 version of Windows or should I just go for a more standard version of the OS...?

Also, can someone explain to me what this integrated mobile broadband is...? Can you just pop in any SIM card from any carrier and use the carrierīs 3G network or how does this work...?

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Old Jan 2, 11, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Hardware problems on my (now vintage) Thinkpad T43p are forcing me to have to retire it and Im now in the market for a new laptop. Im seriously considering a Lenovo T410 so Im hoping there are a couple of FTers out there that have one of these and can give me some feedback...
Ah, the wonderful T43p. Don't worry, the T410 will still feel very much like the ThinkPads you know and love, even though <sob> the IBM logo is now gone from them. I have a T500 so can give you some pointers if you need 'em.

Im especially interested in experiences & reliability of hard drives, Im looking to get a model with a 500GB 7200rpm drive which I will assume is a proven workhorse.
I have a 500GB 7200rpm HD in my T500, which I've had for about 18 months. It's been rock solid reliable. I have it partitioned for programs, data, music and videos and I back it up to a 2TB USB drive using Lenovo's Rescue and Recovery software. I also do a regular XCopy on the non-program partitions from time to time.

As I like to hold on to laptops for a while, Im considering coughing up the extra bucks to get an i7 processor.... is the additional $$$ worth it to get the Ultimate 64 version of Windows or should I just go for a more standard version of the OS...?
Unless you're using the ThinkPad as a media hub and interfacing to a big screen TV, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit is all you need - that's what I have and it works dandy. My own opinion on the "i" chips is, go with an i5 - it supposedly gives you more power management features than the i3 but is significantly cheaper than the i7 (usually). What you really, really, really should get is 4 GB RAM minimum - on a single DIMM so you can expand easily in the future - or 6 or 8 GB on two DIMMs if you have the budget for it now.

Also, can someone explain to me what this integrated mobile broadband is...? Can you just pop in any SIM card from any carrier and use the carrierīs 3G network or how does this work...?
That I do NOT know for sure; I never saw the allure in tethering when there's so much wifi available, plus I have a WiMAX USB...thingie...that I use instead.

A great source for answers to your questions:

http://forum.thinkpads.com

And you may find better discounts by signing into the IBM Shareholder Program for Lenovo -you don't actually need to prove ownership of IBM stock to sign up:

http://www.Lenovo.com/ibmspp

Last edited by DenverBrian; Jan 2, 11 at 7:24 pm
Old Jan 2, 11, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
A couple of suggestions for you:

The T410 is now a bit dated. The successor, which will be Intel Sandy Bridge based, should be out in February. I am personally waiting for the new models.

On the other hand, you won't be able at first to obtain the great deals that you can now on a T410. See http://bensbargains.net/merchants/91/Lenovo-Coupons/

My opinion is that, unless you are regularly doing video editing, which seems pretty remote on a laptop, you don't need an i7. It will drain more juice from your battery anyway so I would stick at present with an i5-560M.

Lenovo charges way too much for ram. I would get 2GB in one stick from Lenovo and then buy a 4GB stick on-line from Crucial.

The 500GB 7200rpm drive is fine. My current computer (a Dell Adamo) has a 256GB SSD. Incredibly fast and I don't have to be concerned about movement with the computer affecting the hard drive. Pricey upgrade, however.

Make sure you get the 64-bit version of Windows. Get the cheapest version of Windows Home that is available and send me a PM after you receive it. I'll let you know how to get an upgrade to Ultimate at a price you will not be able to complain about.

My understanding of integrated mobile broadband is that you just insert the sim and the computer does the rest of the work. Have not done that myself, however.

The biggest question you probably have to ask is whether you want Intel integrated graphics or the discrete graphics. If you wait for Sandy Bridge, it should be irrelevant.

I still miss my T42, particularly the aspect ratio of the screen.
Old Jan 3, 11, 11:50 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
I'm typing this on a T410 and I have no issues with it. It's not the slimmest thing in the world, nor does it have the best battery life, but it's a good work computer and a great replacement to my dated T60.
Old Jan 3, 11, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for some great information.... ^

I do know about the ThinkPad Forums, I have to get around to posting over there as well.
Old Jan 3, 11, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
On the other hand, you won't be able at first to obtain the great deals that you can now on a T410. See http://bensbargains.net/merchants/91/Lenovo-Coupons/
Thanks for this site... ^

I was not aware of it. Do I have to sign up and/or create an account with Ben or do I just click on the links and redirect... the 15% off coupon looks very nice.
Old Jan 3, 11, 8:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I also own a T43p and have chosen not to buy a T410 because it doesn't have the ruggedness of the T43p. Mine has fallen down stairs, with no damage; doubt any currently made laptop will do that, not even the Panasonic Toughbooks are that well made any more. The current Lenovo models are much more mainstream, without all the IBM quirky hardware that made updates such an adventure. If you want a leading edge laptop then wait 6 months, this is end of life cycle but also great prices. However you will get much better for the same cost within 6 months, particularly when the new SSDs come out. I'm holding off until then. As for i7, it is needed only for a few specific apps, and you know if you run those -- then worth its weight in gold. Otherwise i5 is perfect for general use, even power users who don't run the killer apps. Memory is usually much more important.
Old Jan 4, 11, 12:27 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I have a 410, which was my 3rd or 4th Thinkpad. The last 2 were the T40 and T60. IMO, the T410 is just as good as those 2 machines. I'm not on it at the moment so I don't know specs, but I do know it's an i5. About my biggest complaint is battery life. When reading the reviews, I think they were for the 9-cell, because my battery gets no where near the times I was reading online.

Overall I like the laptop. I wish it was a little smaller/thinner/lighter, but it is what it is. I really like the X line, but the model I wanted (13" screen) was very expensive and they don't make it any more. I've been watching for it on eBay and may pick up one up at some point and sell the 410.

Good luck!
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

When exactly is the CES show everybody is waiting for...? Apparently the new generation CPU models are due... so Im thinking Lenovo will further discount the T410 and T510 series, or.....?
Old Jan 5, 11, 12:27 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
CES starts tomorrow in Lost Wages. I do not know what the lead time between seeing at the show and being able to purchase is. I am certain it varies by products by quite a bit. I am aware of some electronics that have been at the show not being available until the fall.

I have a Thinkpad 410 and 500 and love both. There has been some excellent advice given, in this thread.

1) Processor look at the price cost for each this should show the greatest value. I generally do not get the newest or fastest but get close. For me this always represented the best value for the dollar spent.
2) Get Win 64 bit regardless of memory size (more on that next)
3) Lenovo used to be very proud (read costly) for memory upgrades. I would try to get 4GB in a single DIMM if reasonably priced, otherwise I would get a single dimm with 2GB. For example I recently purchased a 4GB dimm from Kingston (using the lenovo part number) for $79 the lenovo site was listing it at $429. So as others stated getting memory elsewhere is usually a good idea, even if you pull out the2GB and add 2x4GB.
4) Hard drives Lenovo uses the same drives as everyone else so no difference there. I have switched my boot drives to SSD's and have a drive caddy for a 2ND HDD in each (replaces DVD drive). The benefit is better performance and better battery life.
Old Jan 5, 11, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

I thought that with the new lauch of the brand new CPU and new series of ThinkPads, prices would plummet.... something of the kind is being discussed over on various laptop forums, I guess the consensus here is that CES and new product introductions will not be followed by a price drop..??
Old Jan 5, 11, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Further to the various posts about RAM and how much it costs from Lenovo... if you buy 3rd party chips, dont you have to make sure to get the exact same specs so that there are no compatibility issues...? Also, if you get an extended warranty plan from Lenovo, and you put in 3rd partu RAM, will this not void or ringfence RAM from warranty and/or service...????
Old Jan 5, 11, 5:57 pm

Programs: Dirt
Lenovo will probably call the new models T420. They did just announce the X120e with AMD fusion platform.

As long as the memory module meets or exceeds the spec, then it should work. ThinkPads use Intel's recommended settings so they will take almost all modules.

You will not void warranty if you install after market memory, or add/replace parts that Lenovo has identified as customer replaceable in the hardware maintenance manual. Should your system malfunction, it is a good idea to remove the aftermarket upgrades before you troubleshoot or send system in for service.

There is an oversupply of DDR3 chips on the market, so the prices have been dropping like a rock over the last week. You can find 4 gigabyte modules for about $36 each on Slickdeals now.
Old Jan 5, 11, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Further to the various posts about RAM and how much it costs from Lenovo... if you buy 3rd party chips, dont you have to make sure to get the exact same specs so that there are no compatibility issues...? Also, if you get an extended warranty plan from Lenovo, and you put in 3rd partu RAM, will this not void or ringfence RAM from warranty and/or service...????
It won't. You'll be good. Plus, Lenovo monitors batteries via its ThinkVantage software and alerted me to a free battery replacement on my 9-cell - all automated, no muss, no fuss, new battery arrived at my place, I swapped the old battery, sealed up the box with an included UPS-paid sticker, and dropped it off at the UPS store.

Right now a good configuration T410 on the Shareholder site is pricing at $1208, free shipping. There's a 4GB memory free deal today only, a coupon code right on the site, and the Shareholder discount. Here's the config I chose:

Description
ThinkPad T410 - 1 Year Depot Warranty
Processor: Intel Core i5-560M Processor (2.66GHz, 3MB L3)
Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64
Operating system language: Windows 7 Professional 64 US English
Display type: 14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ LED Backlight (WWAN antenna)
System graphics: NVIDIA NVS 3100m Optimus Graphics 512MB DDR3 with AMT
Modem: 56K v.92 Designed Modem
Total memory: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Keyboards: Keyboard US English
Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
Camera: Camera, 2.0 MP
Hard drive: 500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Optical device: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
Battery: 9 cell 2.8Ah Li-Ion Battery - Dual Mode
Power cord: Country Pack North America with Line cord & 90W AC adapter
Bluetooth: Bluetooth w/ antenna
Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (2x2 AGN)
Integrated mobile broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable
Language pack: Language Pack US English

Accessories and options:
2YR Onsite + 2YR ThinkPad Protection

IMO, that's a good deal. How far must prices "plummet" in order for you to buy?
Old Jan 6, 11, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Yes... that is a good deal. Im also looking at T510 configurations.... cant really make up my mind. I wonder if a 15.6 inch T510 would be much larger than my current T43p which has a 15" screen.... I get confused due to the different aspect ratios of the screens - Im guessing the overall square footage of these two machines will be the same, or...?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: