HTC Antennagate

Old Dec 31, 10, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HTC Antennagate

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/20...o-worry-about/

Now, another popular phone manufacturer, HTC, is caught in the middle of a similar controversy with their flagship Windows Phone 7, the HTC HD7…

Hilariously enough, HTC has taken a similar stance to Apple, defending itself with the following reasoning:

“To ensure the best possible signal strength, antennas are placed in the area least likely to be covered by a person’s face or hands while the phone is in use. However, it is inevitable that a phone’s signal strength will weaken a little when covered in its entirety by a user’s palm or fingers. We test all of our phones extensively and are confident that under normal circumstances reception strength and performance will be more than sufficient for the operation of the phone when network coverage is also adequate.”

I think even Steve would be impressed with that verbal ballet routine, don’t you?

I am sure all the Apple critics here will be racing to pounce on HTC for all of the same reasons they jumped all over Apple.

Old Dec 31, 10, 1:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Another phony "problem" same as the iPhone "problem".

I have an HD7 similar to the one in the video and mine doesn't do the same thing no matter how I hold it. Same goes for my iPhone 4 too.

Old Dec 31, 10, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At what point in the video clip does the signal completely disappear knocking the phone off the network? I watched the whole thing, and only saw a signal decrease.

My HD7 does show a lower signal when I hold it, but I can't make a call drop or internet connection disappear.

Though I do find it funny that an iPhone site would pick up on a story that even XDA developers doesn't seem to care about - where real owners post on their device, not iPhone users trying to point out that their phone isn't the only one that sucks.
Old Dec 31, 10, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13 seconds into the video the signal goes from 5 bars to 1. Could they make a call at the signal level? Irrelevant. The issue is the lack of outcry when it comes to a non-Apple product. I wonder if Consumer Reports will refuse to endorse the HTC phone?

Yeah, sure, the iPhone 4 sucks so bad that it is still selling like hotcakes and the iPhone in general kicked off a massive change in the smart phone category. What a terrible problem to have.
Old Dec 31, 10, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic View Post
13 seconds into the video the signal goes from 5 bars to 1. Could they make a call at the signal level? Irrelevant. The issue is the lack of outcry when it comes to a non-Apple product. I wonder if Consumer Reports will refuse to endorse the HTC phone?

Yeah, sure, the iPhone 4 sucks so bad that it is still selling like hotcakes and the iPhone in general kicked off a massive change in the smart phone category. What a terrible problem to have.
The iPhone 4 problem meant a call could not take place and Internet connections dropped. The HTC video shows a DROP in signal, but no test is shown where calls completely drop. I tried the same test on my HD7 and I could not make a call drop or have Internet disappear.

In other words: trolling around a non-existent problem. Kudos.

I've seen signals go down on a phone when held wrong since my Motorola International 5200 back in 1995. Call back when you find a video that actually shows similar issues as on the iPhone 4.
Old Jan 1, 11, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I see, so it is only a problem when Apple does it, but not when HTC does it. If this was another issue with the iPhone this thread would be 15 pages or more by now.
Old Jan 1, 11, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see, so it is only a problem when Apple does it, but not when HTC does it. If this was another issue with the iPhone this thread would be 15 pages or more by now.
Once again - show me a video where the HTC HD7 suffers from the same problem as the iPhone 4, and we'll actually have a topic worth debating. All you've shown is a *drop* in signal when the phone is held wrong. With the iPhone 4, the issue is/was that calls would fail when the phone was held wrong. Completely different situation.

In fact, I think that if I hold the radio antenna on my car in the right place, I'll hear some static on my radio - do you want to start a thread about that one too? Fact is that the iPhone had a real problem with the antenna, one that could be replicated by a lot of people (not all, just a lot) and an iPhone site and Apple fan trying to discredit another phone with a totally different signal issue.

With the iPhone, actual iPhone 4 users were complaining about the issue, but I've yet to find any HD7 users suffer from this "antennagate". When an iPhone site is the largest one spreading this kind of crap, you have to wonder what the motives are, other than trolling.
Old Jan 1, 11, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13 seconds into the video the signal goes from 5 bars to 1. Could they make a call at the signal level? Irrelevant. .
It isn't irrelevant AT ALL. I don't care how many bars I see - as long as I can make a call, I'm perfectly content. The iPhone videos showed calls failing and Internet connectivity disappearing. That is hardly the same as seeing some random bars drop a bit.

Nice try though. I give this one an 8 out of 10.
Old Jan 1, 11, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Feel free to post a link to dropped calls. No matter how much you deny it the HTC phone has the same problem that the iPhone had. You continue to claim that it was a special defect in the iphone, yet the phone has not been changed and the issue is no longer discussed. Did all these people just decide to use their iphones as ipods?
Old Jan 1, 11, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Non-Apple related links to this issue:

HTC Embarrassed by iPhone 4-like Reception Problems

http://www.dailytech.com/HTC+Embarra...ticle20312.htm

HTC HD7 suffers from the Antenna Problems
http://cellphonequick.com/htc-hd7-su...enna-problems/

One of the reason why this is happening is due to the antenna being on the lower side of the phone which was what led the iPhone 4 to the antennagate club as well. From the look of things, it appears as if it is a hardware issue and if it is, HTC folks have a serious problem on their hand.

Antenna Issues Defect Hit HTC HD7

http://www.htcpure.net/2010/12/01/an...t-hit-htc-hd7/

The launch of the first smartphone based on Windows 7 Phone HTC, HD7 not go smoothly after the issue hit the mobile phone antenna problems.
Old Jan 6, 11, 8:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Feel free to post a link to dropped calls. No matter how much you deny it the HTC phone has the same problem that the iPhone had. You continue to claim that it was a special defect in the iphone, yet the phone has not been changed and the issue is no longer discussed. Did all these people just decide to use their iphones as ipods?
No, everyone took the free cover that Apple sent out to fix the problem *that they themselves admitted existed*.

I can still make my iPhone drop to from 3 bars to no coverage if I don't have a cover on it.
Old Jan 6, 11, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, GF Gold, SPG Plat, LCAH Plat
There is no phone that won't have reduced signal if you cover the antenna.

However, the iPhone 4 issue was fixed with duct tape (or a case). It was therefore a very different issue than just a piece of meat getting in the way of the signal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: