Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Okay so I went a bit overboard, how to I integrate all of these trip management tools

Okay so I went a bit overboard, how to I integrate all of these trip management tools

Old Dec 30, 10, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

For reasons that I cant explain I have never used any travel management software such as Tripit. I only used the airlines web/wap pages and Exchange/Outlook which of course goes to my phone calendar. My assistant would add the flights to my calendar as well as other schedule items such as meetings.

Then I was reading FT yesterday, as well as looking at some of the popular iPhone apps of the past year and got real interested in the possibilities. I came back to FT and searched for some of the apps and then started buying them. Since yesterday I have downloaded for my iphone

Flight Update Pro
Flight Track Pro
OntheFly
Tripit
Worldmate Gold

I also now have a Tripit Pro account trial and a World Mate Gold account.

So is there a good way to integrate these? Will any combination of them that will allow changes in flights to be automatically updated? Any general or specific suggestions on how to use them together most efficiently? Do any combination of them work better in terms of facilitating my assistant in managing my schedule, flights, etc? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Dec 30, 10, 11:48 pm

I use tripit via their web site, and subscribe to the calendars that tripit exports for you on the iphone (and also in google calendar). Once you get some trips set up on tripit, you can follow the directions on tripit to export your calendar and import it everywhere else. On google, you just add the calendar, I think you also just add it on your i<device> also maybe it's under settings/mail/add or something like that. (email or sms the link to your iphone so you can copy/paste or just click on it, maybe.)

Just update tripit's preferences to not add maps and directions automatically, if that's your preference. And update your sharing preferences if you want to.

Then start emailing your trip confirmations to [email protected] from the account you registered with at tripit.

Then you can use flighttrackpro for updates, gate updates, finding new flights when needed, etc. Hook that into your tripit account via it's settings on the iphone or other i<devices>, etc.

I don't use any of the other ones you bought, so you will have to play with them to figure it out.

-David
Old Dec 31, 10, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
I use tripit via their web site, and subscribe to the calendars that tripit exports for you on the iphone (and also in google calendar). Once you get some trips set up on tripit, you can follow the directions on tripit to export your calendar and import it everywhere else. On google, you just add the calendar, I think you also just add it on your i<device> also maybe it's under settings/mail/add or something like that. (email or sms the link to your iphone so you can copy/paste or just click on it, maybe.)

Just update tripit's preferences to not add maps and directions automatically, if that's your preference. And update your sharing preferences if you want to.

Then start emailing your trip confirmations to [email protected] from the account you registered with at tripit.

Then you can use flighttrackpro for updates, gate updates, finding new flights when needed, etc. Hook that into your tripit account via it's settings on the iphone or other i<devices>, etc.

I don't use any of the other ones you bought, so you will have to play with them to figure it out.

-David
That is exactly the same setup I use - and it works perfectly for me.
Old Dec 31, 10, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

-David
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
That is exactly the same setup I use - and it works perfectly for me.
Thanks to both of you. What about if you change your flight for some reason. How is that info sent to Tripit? Does it know if you send it a new confirmation to change (assuming the same PNR) or does it make it a new trip? Can you push the change to Tripit from flight track pro?
Old Dec 31, 10, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Thanks to both of you. What about if you change your flight for some reason. How is that info sent to Tripit? Does it know if you send it a new confirmation to change (assuming the same PNR) or does it make it a new trip? Can you push the change to Tripit from flight track pro?
When you make changes, just keep sending the updated confirmations to [email protected]. Sometimes it will figure it out, sometimes it may not, and depending on what it does, you might have to merge trips, and then manually edit them on tripit.com. They are pretty clever, they can even import stuff from virtuallythere, if that's how you get your company travel confirmations. On the main page, where it lists your trips, you can merge trips on that page. And you can edit every little detail from within a trip.

I'm not sure what extra trip monitoring you get with tripit pro, since I don't have tripit pro.

date flows from tripit to flighttrack pro (and everything else using the ical thing), and not the other way. When necessary, you can also add things manually to flighttrack pro. This is rare, but might come in handy during irrops.

Just start using it, you'll figure it out. It's not that hard, even I can do it.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 31, 10 at 12:20 pm
Old Dec 31, 10, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My ONLY issue with the setup I use is that I sometimes get too many warnings - I'll get a push notification from FlightTrack Pro, an email from TripIt, an email from the airline, a popup from Google Calendar and an email from Google Calendar. Probably just means I'm too lazy to actually set up notifications correctly.
Old Dec 31, 10, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
My ONLY issue with the setup I use is that I sometimes get too many warnings - I'll get a push notification from FlightTrack Pro, an email from TripIt, an email from the airline, a popup from Google Calendar and an email from Google Calendar. Probably just means I'm too lazy to actually set up notifications correctly.
I still remember your post about using the exchange server for google accounts, and how much better that was than the method I was using before that, so here you go ...

They were driving me nuts, especially when I'm sitting here at home and one after another every computer and i<device> would alarm, so I figured out how to turn them off. I think if you change the google calendar setting, it will make your life better.

google calendar has notifications settings for each calendar, so it's easy to turn them all off for your tripit ical feed. It's under settings/calendar settings/calendar, click on "notifications" for the calendars you want to change, and you can turn off everything right there. The default settings for each calendar are in the "event reminders" section. I think that's all you really need to change. I deleted both default entries (email and alarm) for my ical feed "calendar".

On the i<devices>, you can enable "remove alarms" for each separate ical feed as well, under settings, mail ..., your tripit ical feed. Not sure if that matters or not. Mine were actually off (not removed), when I checked when writing this, so I don't think I am getting alarms from them, but I did turn that setting on (remove alarms) now.

And I'm sure the mac calendar app has something similar in case you are also importing it there too.

ok, I checked flighttrack pro also. They have a setting that will update your calendar with changes, I have that off. You can turn off its alerts on the i<devices> in the i<device>s settings/notifications/flight track pro. I leave those on.

So if I did it right, I should only get alarms from Flight Track Pro's push notifications.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 31, 10 at 7:07 pm
Old Dec 31, 10, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still remember your post about using the exchange server for google accounts, and how much better that was than the method I was using before that, so here you go ...

They were driving me nuts, especially when I'm sitting here at home and one after another every computer and i<device> would alarm, so I figured out how to turn them off. I think if you change the google calendar setting, it will make your life better.

google calendar has notifications settings for each calendar, so it's easy to turn them all off for your tripit ical feed. It's under settings/calendar settings/calendar, click on "notifications" for the calendars you want to change, and you can turn off everything right there. The default settings for each calendar are in the "event reminders" section. I think that's all you really need to change. I deleted both default entries (email and alarm) for my ical feed "calendar".

On the i<devices>, you can enable "remove alarms" for each separate ical feed as well, under settings, mail ..., your tripit ical feed. Not sure if that matters or not. Mine were actually off (not removed), when I checked when writing this, so I don't think I am getting alarms from them, but I did turn that setting on (remove alarms) now.

And I'm sure the mac calendar app has something similar in case you are also importing it there too.

ok, I checked flighttrack pro also. They have a setting that will update your calendar with changes, I have that off. You can turn off its alerts on the i<devices> in the i<device>s settings/notifications/flight track pro. I leave those on.

So if I did it right, I should only get alarms from Flight Track Pro's push notifications.

-David
I think I once got close to spending the ten minutes it takes to fix all of this. But I'm so damn lazy

Thanks for the tips - I really should fix it soon. I've got the same problems with Google calendar notifications, especially on busy days (like 8 appts/hour at CES), I'll get 100's of notifications between three devices in popups and emails
Old Jan 2, 11, 5:27 am

Programs: UA
Do these apps/websites work ok for people living outside the US? The reviews for tripit suggests that it has problems dealing with different time zones

Search this Thread
Search Engine: