FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Casio time controlled watches (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1163733-casio-time-controlled-watches.html)

Daniella Dec 24, 2010 12:39 am

Casio time controlled watches

Please help a blond girl with some electonic input!

I was looking into getting my better half something like this for christmas. But how does these pieces actually work?

It states it has automatic time keeping in the UK, US, Germany and Japan.
Does that mean if I go from Arizona to Miami, the time sets it self- or if I go from USA to Japan, the time adjust itselfs? Is that how this works?

Thanks!

KIXman Dec 24, 2010 1:46 am

I don't have the same watch but normally for these kinds of watches, the watch doesn't automatically set itself to the time of the place the owner is.
Instead, the owner would manually change a setting to tell the watch that he is in a particular city. The automatic timekeeping function would then use the atomic time signals broadcast from certain centers in the UK, US, Germany and Japan to automatically synchronize the watch to the correct time for that area.

alanh Dec 24, 2010 10:39 am

Right. I have an autosetting G-SHOCK Casio. It does not select the timezone; you have to do that manually. It cycles through a list of airport codes (LAX, DEN, CHI, NYC, CCS, LON, etc.) to pick the timezone. It also has the option to disable daylight saving adjustments, which I have to do in Phoenix.

Essentially it gets the time in GMT from the time source and adjusts it for the selected timezone.

mikel51 Dec 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Sheeesh, when I saw time control I was thinking that this would be the perfect gift to make sure he is never late :)

DenverBrian Dec 24, 2010 12:23 pm

In the US, we have lots of watches that display the correct time no matter what city you're in.

They're commonly known as cell phones.

Always Flyin Dec 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 15517473)

Some of us aren't tethered to our phones.

DenverBrian Dec 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 15518261)
Some of us aren't tethered to our phones.

Some of us aren't tethered to wristwatches. :D :D :D

Efrem Dec 25, 2010 9:14 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 15517473)
In the US, we have lots of watches that display the correct time no matter what city you're in.

Some of us, especially on this site, want to check the time while we're in an airplane.

KD5MDK Dec 26, 2010 10:33 am

If your phone doesn't support Airplane mode, it's not nearly as fun as it ought to be.