Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Convert Directory of Files into Text File of File Names?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convert Directory of Files into Text File of File Names?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by daniellam
Agree.

Some people don't even know what a "file extension" is!! Windows 7 apparently hides the file extensions (.doc, .xls, .pdf, .wav etc.) of known file types by default.
Every version of Windows since Windows 95 came out has done that by default. It's obnoxious, but very easy to turn off.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by bdesmond
If you type the first couple characters and press Tab, the command prompt will auto complete for you (and you can tab through multiple matches)...
This is an incredibly useful feature.

One nice feature of Mac OS X is that if you need to manipulate something in a terminal window, you can drag items onto it and their path will appear.

So if I wanted to do the original request on my Desktop folder and didn't want to type ~/Desktop, I could locate the Desktop folder in the Finder, and drag it's small icon in the title bar onto my terminal window and it would automatically fill in
/Users/andrew/Desktop/
without me having to do anything else.
I have to remember to type the "ls" first of course before I can add other things.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:16 am

This also works in Windows command line -- drop an item into the window and the path will be pasted in. And it works for the Start->Run box.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by daniellam
Agree.

Some people don't even know what a "file extension" is!! Windows 7 apparently hides the file extensions (.doc, .xls, .pdf, .wav etc.) of known file types by default.
Windows has been doing this since XP. Really annoys me. The dumber the user the dumber the OS I guess...
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Windows has been doing this since XP. Really annoys me. The dumber the user the dumber the OS I guess...
You know how to change that, right?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ame-extensions

You can change a bunch of stuff there. Like not hiding hidden/system files, etc, etc. Pretty easy to change.

-David
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:33 pm

Going a little OT here but I keep the file extensions on so I know what exactly it is I might be double clicking on.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
It was done in XP, but was hardly new to XP. That came in with Windows 95 (and NT 4.0 followed suit a year later.)

Still beats what the pre-OS X Macs (through 7.6 at least, and I think in 8 and 9 as well), where to change a file type/association, you needed a third party tool or knowledge of ResEdit which was about as obscure for most people as the registry editor is under windows.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:27 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by nkedel
Every version of Windows since Windows 95 came out has done that by default. It's obnoxious, but very easy to turn off.
It is also a security problem that is exploited by naming a file attached to an email something like README.TXT.EXE whose filename is then displayed as README.TXT due to extension hiding. Novice computer users then think that they are opening a text file when they are actually executing some sort of malware (that then sends itself to all email contacts that it finds).

Insecure default settings is probably one reason why so many Microsoft Windows computers get cracked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.